Did the most stupid thing...

jasper3

I agree STOTTO…but i shoot, and i respect my loaded gun,.as i now have to respect my dog, and re-train myself , in his world he is a member of the pack..and not my little buddy, even though i still love the little ***

yes, the boy will still work…thats what i got him for, the biggest problem there was, , was me getting far too complacent with him...

his little life will change now…no interaction with kids…and no free roaming around the house…but he will have 20 acres to work and run around on...

so he will still have a great quality of life, i to will loose out, on not being able to do what i did before…but thats a price worth paying, for me and the little fella..

Responsible gun owner and responsible dog owner, loaded or unloaded knows what is required to handle either with safety. I have had the odd scrape with both myself, survived and life goes on albeit a little more carefully. :good:

Regards

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horses bite too. Never heard of one getting put down for it.

Do they ever!

My last lad was a beggar for it when he was young. He'd be as good as gold being fussed one minute, then suddenly wham, he'd have his teeth into my hip area or upper arm. Still, I suppose that's the joys of nutty ex-racers.

Fair play to Jasper3 - you did wrong, the dog did wrong. You've done well to admit it, many wouldn't, but it's been a painful and (very lucky, considering) experience. I really doubt that neutering will sort it, but at least it's a potentially nasty trait that can't now be passed on. Again, it's the sensible thing to do, but I'm sure there's many happy years work ahead.

Heal quickly mate :good:

well, i have sort of got my revenge :lol: the poor little lad has had his gonads snipped. and is now walking around with a lampshade collar feeling very sorry for himself,,,

and where is he laid,….right beside me.

the neutering is more to stop any breeding, even on a one off situation…i would not now breed from him….

i will get him sorted, i owe him that much

I suppose you were sitting on the floor because you couldn't stand up! I have noticed that wine does that to you. :lol:

Edit: Error, hit 'Post' instead of 'Smileys'

To continue: Next time I call around I expect a proper welcome from the little ****** and not a half wagging tail in a crate.

I hope that heals up quick and clean.

Cheers, mate.

Edited by wymberley

I can understand your reluctance to do anything other than keep him and control his environment, but if I thought one of mine's first reaction to being lunged at was to do that to me it would a short walk into a dark wood.

Hope it all turns out ok for you.

I can understand your reluctance to do anything other than keep him and control his environment, but if I thought one of mine's first reaction to being lunged at was to do that to me it would a short walk into a dark wood.

Hope it all turns out ok for you.

My thoughts as well (that was three bites ! )

My thoughts as well (that was three bites ! )

Small dogs are quick. They will do three small bites in the time a larger dog would do one.

I think the decision was right to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

OH had the grandchildren this afternoon and my Granddaughter bit her brother. She just got sent to bed with a good telling off. :)

Christ almighty what is wrong with some of you? Put a dog down after it reacted to being threatened! If some shady looking chap came hurtling at you I'm sure most of you would chin him, what the dog did is no different. I think that some of the PW massive have a serious god complex and the true belief that because some fat firearms officer said they can have a gun, they have the divine right to decide on the life of everything.

By the way Jasper3, i totally agree with what you did. The dog didn't deserve to be put down and you have taken appropriate measure to deal with it. I don't have a problem with dangerous dogs being put down at all before people start, but this was a frightened dog defending itself.

Christ almighty what is wrong with some of you? Put a dog down after it reacted to being threatened! If some shady looking chap came hurtling at you I'm sure most of you would chin him, what the dog did is no different. I think that some of the PW massive have a serious god complex and the true belief that because some fat firearms officer said they can have a gun, they have the divine right to decide on the life of everything.

By the way Jasper3, i totally agree with what you did. The dog didn't deserve to be put down and you have taken appropriate measure to deal with it. I don't have a problem with dangerous dogs being put down at all before people start, but this was a frightened dog defending itself.

I've frightened my dogs a million times , stood on their feet and tails took bones off them and not once have I been bitten. Just because the dog is frightened or hurt doesn't mean it should bite ,a yelp ,growl ,or to cower is a more natural reaction to being frightened. But if the op wants to keep it that's good on him as long as he stands by his awareness and no unexpected man/women or child gets the consequence of his decision.

Small dogs are quick. They will do three small bites in the time a larger dog would do one.

I think the decision was right to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

OH had the grandchildren this afternoon and my Granddaughter bit her brother. She just got sent to bed with a good telling off. :)

I have Paterdales, My own personal opinion is that if one did it to me can i trust it with my 3yr old grand daughter, If the dog is a working dog kept in kennel then perhaps the benefit of the doubt . till next time !

Your dog bit you, end of.

You have taken responsible steps to make sure it doesn't ever bite anyone else. If it does you're the one in trouble.

I feel sorry for both you and the dog because a relationship has been changed and the dog is the loser even though it's still alive. Fair play for your forgiveness, not sure I could be the same.

Regards

Tim

If my dog bit me in similar circumstances, it would get a severe kick in the *** and left in no doubt not to do it again. Would I get it put down I would even think of it. I would take your vets professional advice, and if you felt you didn't want the dog leave it at the dogs trust or similar. It surprises how some supposed dog lovers are so quick to say put a dog down.

The dog acted in self defence, what on earth do some people think on here. A bloke thats obviously a fair size, falling on top of him, the dog's hardly going to push the bloke off now is he.

Jasper I am sure both you and your dog regrets what's happened. Get well soon,

that's to your dog, ;-)

The dog acted in self defence, what on earth do some people think on here. A bloke thats obviously a fair size, falling on top of him, the dog's hardly going to push the bloke off now is he.

Jasper I am sure both you and your dog regrets what's happened. Get well soon,

that's to your dog, ;-)

why do people think a natural reaction for a frightened dog is to bite. This is not against the op as he now know what the dogs like and treating for what it is ( untrustworthy ) .

You snipped his balls off, you're even now :lol:

If this thread was 'I accidentally fell on my [insert name of known to be snappy breed of dog] and got bitten' it wouldn't make 2 pages.

It's just a reminder that any pet has the capability.

We've got a cocker who (like her mum) is as soft as and has been around our 3 children all her life. When they mess about with her and I tell them 'if she really went for you and meant it...'

They don't listen, but now I can show them a photo :lol:

glad to be of service Mungler :lol:

We will all have different views on this, and many things where took into account,

i always said and always have…if any of my dogs ever bit..i would never breed from them, hence, said balls where snipped...

we don't have children here..my grandchildren live up country, and we see them every blue moon… so no threat to them, and as i said, if they did come down..the dog would be in a crate, or muzzled...

we are also moving soon to a smallholding…i know when we are there, the lad will have a massive area to run around in and continue to work….the area is totally fenced..this will be checked on a regular basis, as i will also be having livestock,

as i have also said before, if my lad had walked into the room and bit me…different matter…that would have been straight to the vets...

i have never been a person to give up at the 1st hurdle..poo happened..we have to deal with it...

I do respect all of you views, we are all different, as i said before, if i thought for one minute, i couldn't deal with this…i wouldn't keep a dog,

thanks for all the wishes, the eye is well on the mend, and should be able to go fishing this weekend ... :)