Today my shooting all changed

malkiserow

For the first time ( and we have plenty of Hares around here) I let every one go and just watched them scarper. ...... And it felt nice. I watched one hunker down when he noticed me so I walked up close and enjoyed watching him riggle to make himself as flat as possible until he could no longer consider himself invisible. At this point he exited the field like he was a lowered Citroen Saxo just stolen in Essex.

I was not so soft with the pheasants though.......

I know what you mean.

We don't get that many hares around here, but never the less its not at all unusual to come across them when I am out shooting. Now don't get me wring, I love eating hare in a pie with suet pastry...and I have no issue what so ever about shooting so I can eat something, or shooting pests, but I agree, often its just nice to watch these animals in their natural environment, doing what they do.

But that frankly sums up most shooters, we are countrymen and women at heart - we love the countryside and its environment, and love being in it, and the kill is just one tiny part of what we do and why we spend so much time and money in the countryside.

David

Like David says if we find a lot of hares in Cheshire so have the do as you likeys and run them into the ground if you turn a lamp on there is none to be seen if you look through NV there are plenty about they have got so used to a light meaning danger they go flat with headlights pulling out of a junction

I have never and never will shoot a hare.I think they are fantastic to watch.I will shoot a few rabbits except the ones that run on my garden I like to watch them.as I have said to people in the past it is not war.we need to preserve our wildlife.

Edited by bostonmick

I know what you mean.

We don't get that many hares around here, but never the less its not at all unusual to come across them when I am out shooting. Now don't get me wring, I love eating hare in a pie with suet pastry...and I have no issue what so ever about shooting so I can eat something, or shooting pests, but I agree, often its just nice to watch these animals in their natural environment, doing what they do.

But that frankly sums up most shooters, we are countrymen and women at heart - we love the countryside and its environment, and love being in it, and the kill is just one tiny part of what we do and why we spend so much time and money in the countryside.

David

Well said David, there is many a time the small rabbit or young fox has been let go by me for no other reason than they are full of the joy of being young and enjoying themselves,and it is more satisfying just watching them.

There is always another day and time for "business".

On the small syndicate shoot that I run in North Suffolk we only shoot hares when one of the guns wants one for the pot.

If he doesn't want one they get left.

Harvest time showed more hares than for many a year. Now all the fields are flat and sown with wheat and rape I am not seeing very many at all.

I hope they have moved into the six inch high rape for protection from the ever present buzzards.

If that's not the case then we have lost one hell of a lot of hares in a very short space of time.

Hare coursers wouldn't account for that many as they keep on the move as the Suffolk police are very active against them. I doubt the buzzards would account for that many adult animals so it looks more like night time rifle poaching.

Never easy is it?

We have loads of Hares on our shoot but, mainly with safety in mind, we allow them to be shot on some drives but not others.

We also have the rule that 'You shoot it, you carry it'. It's sod's law that they always get shot at the farthest point from the truck but not with that rule and many get left.

I have lost count of the number of deer that I have stalked and had the cross hairs on only to put the gun down and let them go .

Same, unless you are pest controlling you don't have to shoot them all, I have had deer come in close they are almost embarrassed when they have seen me and legged it off.

I have watched loads of hares when out stalking but have never shot one, we do have them here but not in any number to cause a problem to anyone.

I have lost count of the number of deer that I have stalked and had the cross hairs on only to put the gun down and let them go . The thrill is in the stalk ,not in the kill . But then I have never been under pressure to put carcasses in the larder.

Harnser

Oddly enough I did exactly the same thing on a fox last night - but only because I was too damned slow pulling the trigger and it winded me and was off like the clappers of hell!

Old age again I suppose - Mine not the Charlies...

I have lost count of the number of deer that I have stalked and had the cross hairs on only to put the gun down and let them go .

Can't say I've lost count, but one incident where I didn't shoot occurred a couple of years ago when dog and me were out very early in the woods looking for Roe. It was such a beautiful tranquil morning that I sat down with my back to a tree just to 'take it in'. Dog was sat next to me, and she heard it first as i could see her looking at something on our left and trembling that I couldn't see without turning my head. I didn't want to turn my head in case it was a deer and the movement startled it, so sat stock still, and sure enough when I heard it I realised it was much closer than I'd thought. Slowly a beautiful Roe buck came into my sight, just grazing now and then as it worked its way nearer. A glance at my dog showed she was shaking quite a bit now, and the deer popped its head up no more than 20 yards away and looked right at me. It started bobbing, trying to make out what we were, but because we didn't move it obviously didn't consider us a threat. It seemed to take it forever to pass by, and my dog was almost past herself by now, shaking with adrenalin. Eventually the deer got to about 80 yards away, but I couldn't have taken the shot. A beautiful animal, on a gorgeous morning in a beautiful setting. It wouldn't have felt right to kill it.

I love to see hares used to see lots now I see very few, like to leave them alone, used to shoot some land where the keeper was keen on them being shot, used to surprise him how bad I was at shooting them used to miss 10 feet plus behind every time we saw one, kept asking me how I can happily him rabbits at full bolt but miss ever hare we saw!!

Same, unless you are pest controlling you don't have to shoot them all, I have had deer come in close they are almost embarrassed when they have seen me and legged it off.

I have watched loads of hares when out stalking but have never shot one, we do have them here but not in any number to cause a problem to anyone.

+1

There is Nothing wrong with shooting a Hare if its justifiable and sustainable. I do some places I don't others, I do some years I don't others. To Be fair I thought most of us did this with most of our quarry.

Some have an issue with only having a few hares because nobody ever shoots them IMO. I think old hares hold breeding territory well but are less successful at actually breeding the same quantity of young, then they hold the more efficient breeding young off the prime areas. Shoot them lightly and selectively one winter and then wait two more summers and see what happens