Poppies

aris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them last Friday while I was in London on the bike. Very moving but I'm not buying one, given the money to help for hero's . I think the charities get less than half of the price of these.

While i commend you giving to H4H,you should think again.

H4H supports our recently wounded and their families which is great BUT The Royal British Legion's Pppy Appeal supports all servicemen and women and their families no matter what war the fought in,they do not have to have been wounded or fought in a war just need help and they also have schemes and support networks throughout the country.

As to the poppies,someone thought of the idea and then commissioned the work and is paying for the initial outlay, this artist took a chance and developed his idea,and it is right he should be paid,and through his effort money is also being given to charities,why would anyone begrudge him for making a living?

Think again, get yourself a piece of history by a known artist and know that you have helped all people alive who have served in the armed forces and their families.

Edited by welsh1

My school sixth form is in the middle of Rag Week, 50% of the money raised going to H4H and the remainder to other charities. The H4H speaker who came to the school said that the charity recognised that their fundraising had hit other forces charities' incomes and that financial support had been given the the ABF and others. I don't know how much this was but others may....

Regarding the poppies at the Tower of London, the cost of buying one includes the manufacturing and installation costs of the project as wel as supporting service charities. I guess that it is comparable to donating towards any other memorial event. Without the likelihood of strong public financial support, the project may never have happened.

We've got one ordered, but in the meantime, if you know any details of family members who died in WW1, you can use this website to commemorate them. However, if you dont know any details, you can commemorate someone who may otherwise not be remembered. the more people who do this, the better IMHO.

AB

http://www.everymanremembered.org/

This is my great uncle

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/302019/

I saw them last Friday while I was in London on the bike. Very moving but I'm not buying one, given the money to help for hero's . I think the charities get less than half of the price of these.

I see your point, but at the same time I have bought, and hopefully will receive, a little piece of history. I support the legion every year, always give far more for poppies than the minimum, and subscribe to Help for Heroes, amongst other charities, especially the cancer ones. It will be nice however, to have a memento in the form of the ceramic poppy! Just as I have an engraved goblet for my blood donations...

Mike.

I saw the Poppies yesterday, Truly spectacular and very moving.

I will be going again on Friday the 7th.

A friend of mine was a volunteer helping to position the Poppies and told me how much care and respect was taken with each and every Poppy.

The final Poppy will be planted on November the 11th, now that will be something to see.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the poppies again today.

At the previous visit I missed a part of the display and particularly wanted to see it. The bit I had missed was on the bridge as you enter the Tower, and was to assimilate the first wave of men going over the top, it was/is very poignant.

I hope they decide not to extend the display as I think it will lose a little of it's significant.

Who ever came up with this idea needs to be congratulated.

It would have been interesting to have had Poppies of a differing colour perhaps to show those with an unmarked grave, but do not let this mention take away anything of the thought sentiment and spectacle.

I have seen the display and am pleased the time has been extended for more people to see it.

I was surprised there were no donation facilities at the site (if there were I never saw them) , I believe an excellent opportunity to raise more money has been missed, especially when you think that only one third of the poppy price will be donated to the British Legion. someone somewhere stands to make close to £11 million from the exercise.

I must confess the financial smell about it all did sour the experience somewhat.

None.

e-bay have banned the sale of them.

I am surprised about this, at the end of the day as Cranfield said someone stands to make a LOT of money from this fantastic display (exclusing costs), how does someone making an extra few quid on ebay make this an issue? I missed out on one and would happily pay 50 quid to secure one! Supply and demand at the end of the day. Remember the charities are only getting 10% of the money raised ;-)

I have seen the display and am pleased the time has been extended for more people to see it.

I was surprised there were no donation facilities at the site (if there were I never saw them) , I believe an excellent opportunity to raise more money has been missed, especially when you think that only one third of the poppy price will be donated to the British Legion. someone somewhere stands to make close to £11 million from the exercise.

I must confess the financial smell about it all did sour the experience somewhat.

I'm not au fait with all the information regarding what goes to which charity and to be honest I'm not inclined to look into it, however I doubt it came cheap to put all this together.

I also doubt as kind hearted as the artist and all his team probably are they would undertake all this for free. I for one don't begrudge them making some money out of this.

One third of something has to be better than 100% of **** all and that's before the tens of thousands of people that visit throw some change in a charity pot. I for one have bought one, and regardless of what they may end up going for I'd like to think I'll hang on to it. It represents a life lost and I don't think I'd be happy to sell it on for profit.

Sadly, I've not been able to go to London to see the display. I have however been able to buy one of the poppies, and I shall treasure it as long as I live. As I have two children, there will be a problem when I die, but they will have to sort that out... :lol: I always donate to the the RBL Poppy Appeal, the idea of the Tower of London display was amazing, and the Legion has benefitted far more than if the idea had never come to pass. There is nothing to stop people giving as much as they want to.

Mike.

• 2 months later...

Mine arrived before Christmas but forgot to take a picture. My kids were doing a lot at school about the display running up to Remembrance day, My daughter took the booklet into her school to show the class.

I don't usually give to charities I deal with a lot at work as an accountant so get to see that the money hardly ever goes where it is suppose to unless you are making a specific type of donation.