Poppies

aris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a 4 day school trip up to London a couple of weeks back. I go as a helper who worked in London for 13 years before moving to Cornwall so know it fairly well.

The poppy display is fantastic and brought a tear to my eye, the 25 kids aged 9, 10 & 11 who were there with me were amazed and moved by the whole atmosphere. I loved all the tourists from other countries giving so much respect to our fallen. Well worth a visit.

Wow, I've not heard of this project until now, very evocative.

I'm not usually keen on these grand gestures as they often seem more of a platform for the organisers than a fitting tribute, but the effort and time needed to create and plant each and every poppy somehow seems humble and very appropriate.

A fantastic visual idea,and worth buying one as money goes to those that need it,it is a sad thought that each poppy represents a soldier who sacrificed his life for the freedom of this country,but at least with things like this we teach another generation of the sacrifice of others in their name.

fitting tribute ,lucky man both great grandads come home .yorks n lancs regt n black watch .visited the somme n bloody wipers as they called it .humbling as is what theyve done with the ceramic poppies .those blokes bravest of the brave .so glad its jo public doing the planting ,it was our families went there for king n country n died cos they were led by eejits

Fantastic to see. You can buy a one of the hand made ceramic poppies used in the display and some of the money is donated to the service charities. I bought one for my Wife,others off here have also purchased one. They will be sent our after the display is taken down.

Brings it home when you see all the poppies,all those lost lives.

Figgy

A red field of sorrow of the sacrifice to borrow a future for tomorrow

All the glories ever earned are surpassed by the lessons never learned

And although peace may win the day, war is never far away

So in honour of our dead, whom for the nation their blood shed

‘Lions by Donkeys led’ prepare for the next Great War we dread

STOTTO

What a fantastic display,sadly displays just how many brave men lost their lives for us. I would have loved to have bought one of the poppies for my Dad in remembrance for his Grandfather who was killed in the Somme but sadly they are all now sold :no: I have however nominated his details to be read out at the last post, so hopefully I will get word that this will happen. 26 is far too young :sad1:

Not much chance of us getting to visit, but bought one months ago, waiting for delivery in the new year. Always support RBL, and followed Christian's walk around Britain for Help for Heroes. Met him whilst upholstering in a pub in Grimsby; a truly inspirational man! Full respect for all our current and fallen heroes.

Mike.