Spotting fake Breitling watch

lexikia

One of my clients is a jeweller and pawn broker - they took in a ladies solid gold rolex datejust.

They tested the gold and bought on the value / weight of the gold only. Just as well, it was a fake - it just happened to be a good fake.

Thinking it through it's an interesting question about the value of brands - here there was a second hand fake Rolex made from gold (just like Rolex) and with a high end Seiko auto movement (probably better than a 1990's Rolex auto movement) and the net value of the watch was 20% of the equivalent Rolex.

My advice - keep your money ready and just wait for the right deal.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just ordered a Breitling Avenger 11 from an Authorised dealer, should have been £4290 but managed to get him down to £3305. Local Pawn shop has a second hand one in and he wants £3200 with no paper work only box and doesn't know how old it is.

Spent more than I wanted but happy I read advice on this forum. Not a watch expert by any means so all comments appreciated.

Not told her indoors how much it was, she'd have a fit.

Financed from a small pension I have from many years ago. Now I can take it cash from April next year, £200 annuity per year is no good to me.

Cheers Mark

Well, just ordered a Breitling Avenger 11 from an Authorised dealer, should have been £4290 but managed to get him down to £3305. Local Pawn shop has a second hand one in and he wants £3200 with no paper work only box and doesn't know how old it is.

Spent more than I wanted but happy I read advice on this forum. Not a watch expert by any means so all comments appreciated.

Not told her indoors how much it was, she'd have a fit.

Financed from a small pension I have from many years ago. Now I can take it cash from April next year, £200 annuity per year is no good to me.

Cheers Mark

Nice one Mark :good:

One of my clients is a jeweller and pawn broker - they took in a ladies solid gold rolex datejust.

They tested the gold and bought on the value / weight of the gold only. Just as well, it was a fake - it just happened to be a good fake.

Thinking it through it's an interesting question about the value of brands - here there was a second hand fake Rolex made from gold (just like Rolex) and with a high end Seiko auto movement (probably better than a 1990's Rolex auto movement) and the net value of the watch was 20% of the equivalent Rolex.

I am surprised with a jeweller getting caught on such an expensive watch, I suppose he safe gaurded himelf in pricing on gold value though.

Just a wee tester for those interested have a look at the attached watches I have owned, please advise which one is a fake, or are they all real.. Clearly difficult from a photo.

Dont just guess, if you are calling one a fake I want to know your reason ;-) Lets see how you get one. All revealed later!!!

RHP_1147.jpg

RHP_1131.jpgIMG_1897.jpgIMG_1901.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1904.jpg

Edited by m3vert

I can believe this, we have bought two ladies Tag's from the same authorised dealer in Turkey whilst on holiday and the place is brimming with fake shops and we were told by one of them that their best seller is a ladies gold Rolex which cost £500 !!

Most cost between £30 to £120 and some are very nice looking pieces and apparently there IS such a thing as a good fake as he sold an English family some funky name waterproof thing for £400 for their sons birthday , the real one was £4500 grand they told me.

Very difficult to tell with out taking the back off but I would say the Luminor.. if I had to have a guess.

It doesn't have the Reg TM engraved on the Crown Guard and the Date mag window looks decidedly amateurish.

Now you will tell me Im wrong and 30 years collecting experience blown out the window :lol:

The seamaster looks right to me.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I would say the brietling and the seamaster are fake, cnat see a number on the lug of the seamaster and I have the same breitling fake and mine looks a sight better?

KW

I'd go along with that; the lume dots on the Breitling aren't right and the case and bracelet lack the presence of the genuine article. But... I'll raise you!

I don't know the Panerai very well so can't judge it but I'm not convinced by it. The metal looks a little off and I don't believe the font on the date wheel is correct for Panerai. The Milgauss is a beautiful watch but again I don't know it very well. My first thought with that watch is the hour marker alignment which looks off, particularly at the 50 minute marker.

If I was going to stick my neck out I would say they are all reps. But, I have a collection of 17 reps and gens and with all of them sporting automatic or hand wind movements I see them all as works of absolute genius in terms of engineering.

If any I have called a replica are genuine then please don't take offence, I'm looking at some photos on a tiny iPhone screen, they won't do the watches (real or rep) any justice!

Great choices though, I don't like the Breitling but you have great taste in the Panerai and Rolex!

:) "If I was going to stick my neck out I would say they are all reps" LOL they are not all reps :lol::lol:

"If any I have called a replica are genuine then please don't take offence" If I was going to take any offence I wouldn't have put them up :whistling: So don't worry :)

I would agree, the Milgauss looks fake. As well as the glass colour, the case is poorly finished near the lugs (four marks) and the crown looks badly machined compared with a real one. May be out of focus though.

Can't see enough detail on the Panerai, but again case and crown look a bit suspicious.

:) "If I was going to stick my neck out I would say they are all reps" LOL they are not all reps :lol::lol:

"If any I have called a replica are genuine then please don't take offence" If I was going to take any offence I wouldn't have put them up :whistling: So don't worry :)

Fair play!

You asked!

Nice watches either way!

Rolex milgauss is a fake, the originals have green glass as opposed to a green edge on the glass. My favorite watch

Cheers

Tom

I would agree, the Milgauss looks fake. As well as the glass colour, the case is poorly finished near the lugs (four marks) and the crown looks badly machined compared with a real one. May be out of focus though.

Can't see enough detail on the Panerai, but again case and crown look a bit suspicious.

Ok guys you are both correct the Milgaus is indeed a fake! ;-) However I have to laugh as the glass is indeed green (maybe just doesnt show up on the pic) The crown was spot on in fairness.

The real tell tales are as follows. The second hand is too long, the genuine watch the second hand just clips the outer numbers whereas this fake the second hand is around 2-3mm longer and is noticeable if you compare. The fake has the letter D on the 28 minute marker instead of inbetween A and D. The hands are wrong, they simply are different from the original in shape. All that said, more people commented on this watch when I had it on than any other I have worn (genuine included), I bought this fake as I was genuinely interested in purchasing the real one, I may very well pick one up in years to come. This watch was sold on here to a member. From memory it cost me 85-100quid, for an automatic watch that kept very decent time and looked the part it could be seen as money well spent! The bracelet quality was excellant.

Ok guys you are both correct the Milgaus is indeed a fake! ;-) However I have to laugh as the glass is indeed green (maybe just doesnt show up on the pic) The crown was spot on in fairness.

The real tell tales are as follows. The second hand is too long, the genuine watch the second hand just clips the outer numbers whereas this fake the second hand is around 2-3mm longer and is noticeable if you compare. The fake has the letter D on the 28 minute marker instead of inbetween A and D. The hands are wrong, they simply are different from the original in shape. All that said, more people commented on this watch when I had it on than any other I have worn (genuine included), I bought this fake as I was genuinely interested in purchasing the real one, I may very well pick one up in years to come. This watch was sold on here to a member. From memory it cost me 85-100quid, for an automatic watch that kept very decent time and looked the part it could be seen as money well spent! The bracelet quality was excellant.

What about the Omega and Breitling ?

I'd say the Omega is real because it looks it, the Breitling isn't because it looks poorly made, sorry but without handling them it's hard to be pecific.

LOL Totally wrong, the Omega is fakety fake ;-) Breitling 100% genuine lol at poorly made, military grade stainless throughout :lol: Breitling bracelets leave Rolex standing IMHO, much sturdier and leave the bigger watches much better balanced than the Rolex equivalent (Deep Sea)

I would say the brietling and the seamaster are fake, cnat see a number on the lug of the seamaster and I have the same breitling fake and mine looks a sight better?

KW

50% correct, but from memory there was a number on the lug but I could be wrong. But I am still waiting to see this fake that looks better than the real deal :lol::lol: Come on lets have a looky looky kdubya

Very difficult to tell with out taking the back off but I would say the Luminor.. if I had to have a guess.

It doesn't have the Reg TM engraved on the Crown Guard and the Date mag window looks decidedly amateurish.

Now you will tell me Im wrong and 30 years collecting experience blown out the window :lol:

The seamaster looks right to me.

Fisherman Mike 30years of collecting is clearly showing through lol. Sorry bud but you don't know your Pam's :lol: Reg TM isnt on the front of the crown gaurd on this model my friend. Trust me there is nothing amateurish about the date mag, there is something amateurish about your knowledge of Pam's though :lol::lol: :lol: (in jest :good: ) Back to the books for your mate :whistling: Oh and also wrong on the Seamaster lol

Edited by m3vert

I'd go along with that; the lume dots on the Breitling aren't right and the case and bracelet lack the presence of the genuine article. But... I'll raise you!

I don't know the Panerai very well so can't judge it but I'm not convinced by it. The metal looks a little off and I don't believe the font on the date wheel is correct for Panerai. The Milgauss is a beautiful watch but again I don't know it very well. My first thought with that watch is the hour marker alignment which looks off, particularly at the 50 minute marker.

If I was going to stick my neck out I would say they are all reps. But, I have a collection of 17 reps and gens and with all of them sporting automatic or hand wind movements I see them all as works of absolute genius in terms of engineering.

If any I have called a replica are genuine then please don't take offence, I'm looking at some photos on a tiny iPhone screen, they won't do the watches (real or rep) any justice!

Great choices though, I don't like the Breitling but you have great taste in the Panerai and Rolex!

As I said no offence taken :good: but you were wrong on Pam and Breitling :lol:

The rolex Milgauss is fake as I have the same one. You wouldn't be able to see the green glass as clear from that angle on a genuine one. I think the brietling is real as it looks the same as my genuine one. Very hard to tell though.

Got to agree Foxychris, as I said way back in this thread, I have yet to see a fake (in the flesh) that has me 100% convinced its real. Especially if you have the real article. I have two mates that have 100% accurate Panerais (their word not mine) and they look like bags of horse manure next to mine. Likewise with a mates Breitling. I am sure if that Milgaus was sat next to yours it would look very inferior. Great choice of watch by the way, classy and very dressy :good: