anchutz 1517 .17hmr which barral

psycho

Looked all over the internet not that much info which would you get the 18" or the 14" should get my licence back from renewal next week I am going to get the skeleton stocked deluxe with an lei blued moderator which fits the barral spot on same diameter just cant choose on the barral length. Which would you go for and why. I don't shoot from in a vehicle but like light all day carry thanks

Edited by psycho

You can always get a longer barrel cut down but if there wasn't a reason for it, they wouldn't make a long one surely?

Only 2 barrels available 14 and 18, I don't do cutting whatever I buy will stay anyone got something to say about ether cal

has someone bought the 14 and wished they got the 18

or visa versa what are your good and bad points on the barrel you chose

I have the 14" barrel on my Anschutz 1517 hmr also with the Lei mod and a thumbhole stock, handles great, nice weight, I use the Hornady 17 grain V max never put mine over a chrono but I don't think I would notice the 100ft per second loss that Alex mentioned as I don,t target shoot just vermin at sensible ranges.

I don't think you would have any trouble carrying this all day, never tried the 18" barrel, I opted for this as I do shoot out of a vehicle sometime

I have the 14" barrel on my Anschutz 1517 hmr also with the Lei mod and a thumbhole stock, handles great, nice weight, I use the Hornady 17 grain V max never put mine over a chrono but I don't think I would notice the 100ft per second loss that Alex mentioned as I don,t target shoot just vermin at sensible ranges.

I don't think you would have any trouble carrying this all day, never tried the 18" barrel, I opted for this as I do shoot out of a vehicle sometime

Very informative , I will be buying the same moderator as you ,its the barrel I cant decide on, answers like this will help my decision thankyou.

Edited by psycho

went for the 18" when i bought mine.

did a bit of internet research on them and the 18" appeared optimal for hmr.

from memory it takes 16" for the hmr to burn its powder, so the 14" will probably be dirtier and burn out the moderator earlier (that is if the lei burn out like a sak will).

fitted a tactical solutions over barrel mod and dont have any problems with it.

i'm pleased with my choice, waited for the deluxe thumbhole stock and got it with selected wood.

pretty sure you'll be happy with whichever you chose.

My thoughts, a shorter barrel gives you more options, it's a carry rifle now but what happens when you get an invite to do some lamping from a vehicle? A long barrel is a pain the behind to keep poking out of a window. Dirty barrel if short? Who cares, the hmr is dirty full stop and you're going to need to keep it clean whatever length you choose.150fps slower? Again, who cares, it'll still be a (pretty much) point and shoot rifle out to 120 yards.

My only other suggestion is to go for a moderator that is strippable and allows you to clean any fouling. Not sure if the LEI isna sealed unit? I went for the ASE Utra for this reason, though I must admit, it's an utter bean ache to reassemble!

Thanks lads for your input after reading the thread looking at powder burn weight fps accuracy etc

came to the conclusion that the 18" would be the one for me

so I will be the proud owner of an Anschutz 1517 delux stock with an 18" barrel and fitted with an LEI blued moderator

phoned up the shop put deposit down and will be picking up next week

thanks

Edited by psycho

Thanks lads for your input after reading the thread looking at powder burn weight fps accuracy etc

came to the conclusion that the 18" would be the one for me

so I will be the proud owner of an Anschutz 1517 delux stock with an 18" barrel and fitted with an LEI blued moderator

phoned up the shop put deposit down and will be picking up next week

thanks

By any chance, did you think to order a two stage trigger? The delightful unit standard on their 22LR fits the HMR. I've just paid a fortune for one (retro fit) - too embarrassed to give you the £ figure - but my oppo just got his rifle with the 2 stage factory fitted at a very reasonable rate. If it's not too late to change the order and you're prepared to wait a bit (possibly) it's well worth it if the price is acceptable to you.