Buying a number plate

billytheghillie

Posted 16 minutes ago

Cannon, on 03 Nov 2014 - 8:26 PM, said:snapback.png

You can buy them online without documents.

Not a legal vosa plate though.

Fair point, and each to their own...

However, I've been buying my British Standard "Type" number plates on fleabay for many years. And you get through a lot if you have a personalised plate and get bored of cars quick!

Not once in all that time have my non BS plates ever been mentioned to me by anyone, including various MOT testers.

I appreciate the plates are not particularly expensive, but I do mind the likes of "Halfrauds" profiteering out of an ill thought out law...

Posted 16 minutes ago

Cannon, on 03 Nov 2014 - 8:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Not a legal vosa plate though.

Fair point, and each to their own...

However, I've been buying my British Standard "Type" number plates on fleabay for many years. And you get through a lot if you have a personalised plate and get bored of cars quick!

Not once in all that time have my non BS plates ever been mentioned to me by anyone, including various MOT testers.

I appreciate the plates are not particularly expensive, but I do mind the likes of "Halfrauds" profiteering out of an ill thought out law...

I tuck the old original plates from the car under the matting of the boot. When I am ready for a another car I put my personalised plate on retention prior to changing to another car. I have found DVLC have always up to now put the original registration back on the car, so I just take them out of the boot matting and put them back on. The plates I have took off are usually Ok for the next car, but if not there is a good small car shop in our Town who does plates for a fraction of the big boys and his is a computerised printing machine, so they come out perfect.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I tuck the old original plates from the car under the matting of the boot. When I am ready for a another car I put my personalised plate on retention prior to changing to another car. I have found DVLC have always up to now put the original registration back on the car, so I just take them out of the boot matting and put them back on. The plates I have took off are usually Ok for the next car, but if not there is a good small car shop in our Town who does plates for a fraction of the big boys and his is a computerised printing machine, so they come out perfect.

I prefer to fix mine with screws, but change them when they start looking like a cullender from various distance fixings.

The cost of "Halfrauds" plates are probably a drop in the ocean compared to what I've lost in changing my vehicle too frequently....

Guest rimotu66

People I have always used on ebay are Flashplates, about a tenner for two plates and service has always been excellent normally delivered first class the next day or 2. Come with the GB sticker and the company name with postcode.

+1, always use Flashplates on ebay, never had a problem with them and they are better quality then my local motor factors.