rats and .410

Right I shot with my hushpower a lot go through 100 cartridges every to weeks keep seeing rats in the day about my yard near my sheds I be tempted shooting them but on the over hand dont want to damage sheds to much could I take out most of the lead and leave in say less than half on roll over crimp bit of weak masking tape to keep rest of lead in as I I was thinking of 15 - 20 yards and leaving in about 6g of shot to do the job of get the old spring air rifle out

rob at 15 yrds mate your have a pattern about 5 maybe 6" wide with the mossy ( ive just bought one too ) , so just barrel them , better still just bait them out in the open , not too far from where your seeing them but just out the way of anything that can be damaged , like already said just use the 2"shells

edit , just had a look at some of my patterns plates , I have one at 15 yrds and its about 10" using 12 grm eley 2.5" size 6

Edited by stevo

rob have a look at this like , the picture shows the same guns as us , with same choke . its 10 shots at 10 yrds

I wouldn't worry about shot going everywhere haha

got ta love the Mossberg !

410Pattern001.jpg

picture taken from this post

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/86896-the-underestimated-410/

Edited by stevo

I shoot rats at just a couple of yards, near water pipes, wire and huts so I'm aware of this worry you have. My experience is that 7.5 or even better 8s are fantastic at giving you the full pattern you need and will do very surprisingly no damage at all to anything even at very close range. But 6s do so I'd steer clear of them. My preferred load is 20g Gambore low noise subs in 28 8 fibre. In 410 there was a skeet load of 9s but i can't recall the name off the top of my head

Years ago i new an old poacher. He would cut down a fourten cartridge, put 20 pellets back in, cut a star in the end of the case and fold back in. This old boy would go in the orchards with a torch tied to the barrel and come out with a sack full of selected pheasants. :yes:

That take me back to my "naughty years" :lol: I would cut down a 2" cartridge leave 15 pellets in, a bit of newspaper on top and seal with wax , very effective at 3 yards :lol:

That take me back to my "naughty years" :lol: I would cut down a 2" cartridge leave 15 pellets in, a bit of newspaper on top and seal with wax , very effective at 3 yards :lol:

I omitted the poachers name for obvious reasons, it wasnt you that passed me one dark night without knowing, i could have touched you. :lol:

Fenboy !!!! That used to work well didn't it? ??? :-)

It did :lol:

I would just point out I last behaved in such a way over 25 years ago, I stopped such behavior after a conversation with a nice policeman at sandringham :whistling:

I am now a upstanding member of the PW community .

Edited by fenboy