Steel protection experiment !

ditchman

A few years ago, when i was flush...i used to have new disco's for work and shooting.....i always like to keep them clean, and i always liked the "eyebrows" (wheel arches) to be black ...not faded...so i used to wipe boiled linseed oil on all the plastic.......................

PROBLEM,,,where i used to wipe the linseed oil on the plastic some of the oil used to go on the paintwork, and one day when i was polishing it in the sun i saw the area on the paintwork where the oil went....i tried everthing to get it off....thinners...petrol...T-cut...nothing could shift it.....except very fine wire wool....

So i thought...would it protect steel ?...so i cut a plate of mild steel and sanded off both sides and on one side i sprayed a mix of thinners and boiled linseed oil ..the other side i left it bare.....then i hung it on the washing line......and that was 18 MONTHS AGO

results below....(this is what ive been spraying on my landrover chassis twice a year)

SEE PICS ON OTHER POST

Edited by ditchman

I'm assuming it copes with salt sprayed at speed and all the other stuff hurled at a moving chassis? Impressive, I must admit.

in the shed i have and old spray bottle from asda and i have filled it with a mix of thinners and linseed oil.......when the chassis is dry and reasonbly clean i spend a couple of mins and spray underneath...the oil has built up and i think it provides more protection underneath the wheel arches than a semi soft wax-oil............i will post a pic (when it stops raining) of the chassis rear member.................from under the wheel arch ....so you can see ...........

Back in the days when Noah was a boy (Circa early 1970'ies)- I worked on an ore carrier (ship) (that's iron ore - nothing to do with other kinds of ores :yahoo:) and we use to treat the steel working deck with a mixture of oil, thinners and paint - seemed to work - as anyone who has worked on similar will know, iron ore carriers spend half their lives virtually submerged :)

• 2 weeks later...

couple of pics from the rear of the member...........this L/Rover is 28years old

Impressive stuff. Just had my Landy waxoiled this Summer; will see how it looks next Summer. May try your cocktail on top of that. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Scully

nice one ditchman, I may be bit slow but how long have you been spraying the axle ?

you mean the chassis !............'bout 9 mths......................i am trying out another "cocktail" ......petrol 2-stroke mix.....25% petrol.....75% 2-stroke oil.........the petrol evapourates very quickly leaving a thickish sticky covering 2-stroke oil which is getting thicker and harder by the day..........