Lead Ammmunition Group

wymberley

I suggest to you that despite what some may think, the English and Welsh lead shot restrictions are far less restrictive on the use of lead shot than those in Scotland and NI.

The English law is species specific, and also includes key wildfowl habitats away from the foreshore

The Scottish and NI laws prevent the use of lead shot on ANY species if shooting on or over any wetland habitat, not just the foreshore; you cannot shoot lead at all over or let it fall into any wetland, lakes, streams, rivers, ponds, etc .

Given that lead shot can travel over 200m, think how many inland shoots have lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, and other wetland habitats within them, and think how much of a change those shoots would have to make if lead shot could not fall into any wetland even if it was not a key habitat for wildfowl.

Blunderbuss, as the page on the BASC web site reads and as I posted above, the CA representative was representing ALL the shooting organisations not least of all BASC. They were briefed by us, consulted with us, so our voice was heard, all be it though the CA representative.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blunderbuss, as the page on the BASC web site reads and as I posted above, the CA representative was representing ALL the shooting organisations not least of all BASC. They were briefed by us, consulted with us, so our voice was heard, all be it though the CA representative.

With respect that doesn't answer my question. You have told me WHO was representing shooting but not WHY it wasn't BASC.

Edited by Blunderbuss

My apologies, its my understanding that Defra wanted as level a playing field on the main group as possible, so having the Chairman AND shooters main representative both from BASC would have delivered an unbalanced group, just as if say the Chair was from WWT and WWT were a representative on the main group.

So the Chair invited the CA to represent shooters

My apologies, its my understanding that Defra wanted as level a playing field on the main group as possible, so having the Chairman AND shooters main representative both from BASC would have delivered an unbalanced group, just as if say the Chair was from WWT and WWT were a representative on the main group.

So the Chair invited the CA to represent shooters

I didn't think the Chair was representing BASC. He certainly doesn't seem to have been representing shooters.

so in regards the effective comparable priced carts where and what are they??? so called steel mmmm . never again at live quarry the last time I used them I decided to pack up and go home. tungsten/heavy shot is over priced and more toxic than lead... and bismuth well I don't want to sell my house to go pigeon shooting ???

Edited by fruitloop

David; please could you confirm that if was John Swift as Chair of the Lead Action Group who invited CA to represent shooters? He is the former CE of BASC, with well over 100,000 members....to whom it appears he administered a very big kick in the teeth. Did BASC acquiesce to his choice?

Fruitloop

Try the steel cartridges of today they are so much better than a decade ago and now my prefered shot is steel rather than lead. I get cleaner kills and find a good quality steel shell provided its used with the correct shot size , shot load and choke will do all I want it to do. Since using steel for most of my shooting my kills for cartridges average has improved greatly ( 28 geese for 35 shots with steel is better than I ever did in the old lead days ) and I now used steel for everything from pheasants, pigeons , rabbits and of course wildfowl. It shoots differently to lead , but once mastered good quality steel shells are brilliant. Beware like lead though there one or two rubbish brands out there though.

Edited by anser2

Fruitloop

Try the steel cartridges of today they are so much better than a decade ago and now my prefered shot is steel rather than lead. I get cleaner kills and find a good quality steel shell provided its used with the correct shot size , shot load and choke will do all I want it to do. Since using steel for most of my shooting my kills for cartridges average has improved greatly ( 28 geese for 35 shots with steel is better than I ever did in the old lead days ) and I now used steel for everything from pheasants, pigeons , rabbits and of course wildfowl. It shoots differently to lead , but once mastered good quality steel shells are brilliant. Beware like lead though there one or two rubbish brands out there though.

tried some 4s on pigeons before and all I got was broken wings and runners so put them back in my bag and went back to lead 6s than tied some large shot on geese this season. mmm same again broken wings and runners so packed up and went home as I don't like just injuring them and then chasing them round a field to Finnish the job and these are not from decades ago it was in the last year or two .steel needs to stay on the clay grounds where it belongs not on live quarry.

Edited by fruitloop

I suggest to you that despite what some may think, the English and Welsh lead shot restrictions are far less restrictive on the use of lead shot than those in Scotland and NI.

The English law is species specific, and also includes key wildfowl habitats away from the foreshore

The Scottish and NI laws prevent the use of lead shot on ANY species if shooting on or over any wetland habitat, not just the foreshore; you cannot shoot lead at all over or let it fall into any wetland, lakes, streams, rivers, ponds, etc .

Given that lead shot can travel over 200m, think how many inland shoots have lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, and other wetland habitats within them, and think how much of a change those shoots would have to make if lead shot could not fall into any wetland even if it was not a key habitat for wildfowl.

It could also be argued they have got it right , one of the key driving issues behind the banning of lead shot is the harm it does when ingested by waterfowl .

Our current system does nothing to prevent this .

Of course even if the law regarding its use were the same as other parts of Britain there would still be those that felt unable to comply with it .

I hear many shooters crying out to save lead shot ( and so they should be ) but it is by not complying with current legislation that they themselves are bringing a ban ever closer.

It is also true that compliance with the Scottish law is far more difficult to establish for or against unless you start sieving areas of wetland. The English/Welsh law provides its own evidence of non-compliance in the form of dead fowl.

The man is a buffoon - still thinks the BASC is WAGBI.

If you go to the bottom of this article there is a choice of 'Related Posts'. Have a look at the final sentence of the 'Lead And other Poisons' option. So, what is it that he knows that we don't?

The man is a buffoon - still thinks the BASC is WAGBI.

If you go to the bottom of this article there is a choice of 'Related Posts'. Have a look at the final sentence of the 'Lead And other Poisons' option. So, what is it that he knows that we don't?

It seems unlikely that someone else is unaware - who else could that be?

Fruitloop I used to have a problem with steel and BBB shot for geese , but I now use a 3.5 inch load and HLS Undertaker full choke (.700) regulated for BBB shot and find the combination very effective on foreshore pinks. Inland i drop down to BB. I have also found Gamebore 32 gr steel no 3 great for pigeons and pheasants . Indeed I have found no 3 a very good univeral shot size in steel for most duck though I step up to N0 2 for high mallard , and able to kill the odd close goose if you are caught by surprise.

The key for successful shooting for steel is chose fast loads , step up 2 or 3 sizes to what you would use in lead and pick the correct after choke to match the shot size you want to use , ie do not try no 3 shot through a choke made for BB shot , they just will not work.

It seems unlikely that someone else is unaware - who else could that be?

As things can change - between June and October for example - and as a consequence what was recently said may not still be valid, I will not give the source but although expressed a little differently by a reliable and informed group, I have heard similar - as perhaps you may well have, Kes, although certain conditions did apply.

Edited by wymberley

As things can change - between June and October for example - and as a consequence what was recently said may not still be valid, I will not give the source but although expressed a little differently by a reliable and informed group, I have heard similar - as perhaps you may well have, Kes, although certain conditions did apply.

Understood.

Got this for the CA today:

CA "working tirelessly" on the lead shot issue

The future of lead ammunition is one of the biggest issues to face shooting in the past few decades, but one which can easily pass you by if the detail of scientific research and Westminster and EU political process turn you off. The Countryside Alliance is involved in the debate at every level and is working tirelessly on behalf of our members to make sure that the whole shooting community get their say on the use of lead ammunition and those that would like to see it banned cannot rely on false statements and scare stories.

The Lead Ammunition Group (LAG) has now been considering evidence for over five years and concerns have been growing about the process for some time. Correspondence published on the Defra website as a result of a Freedom of Information Act request has brought those concerns to a head and seems to confirm that the process has completely broken down. LAG was set up with representatives of a range of interest groups to consider the issues and to produce a report on risk and mitigation as a group, but the published correspondence suggests the Chairman is now working towards his own conclusions regardless of the views of many group members. This is far too important an issue to be decided on the basis of a contentious report and there is no doubt that any report containing the conclusion that lead based ammunition should be phased out would be exactly that, as Defra itself suggests in the FoI correspondence. The case for a complete ban is further weakened by recent developments on the continent where the Norwegian parliament has voted to overturn a ban on lead ammunition outside wetlands and the EU has halted moves to restrict all lead products.

The relevant science being considered by LAG has all been published on its website and having discussed this with experts we are clear that it does not meet the standard required to justify further restrictions on lead shot, let alone a complete ban. However those who have been campaigning for a ban on lead shot, and leaked Wildlife and Wetland Trust documents have revealed exactly how extensive that campaign is, were set on their conclusions before LAG was even formed as, it now seems, was its Chairman. Our Executive Chairman, Barney White-Spunner, sits on LAG as the representative of the shooting community. LAG’s considerations are confidential, but you can be certain that he, and I am sure others, will demand proper scientific justification for any conclusions LAG comes to.

So Mr Spunner seems to think MR Swift has been and is running his own agenda. No surprise there then - just a lot of betrayed members - assuming of course he was doing this before he became the 'retired' Mr Swift, with no links to BASC. It also suggests that BASC didnt have a voice despite what has been said but that Mr Swift did and it wasnt the memberships.

Rather bad form all round. Perhaps his parting wasnt that amicable?

Edited by Kes

tried some 4s on pigeons before and all I got was broken wings and runners so put them back in my bag and went back to lead 6s than tied some large shot on geese this season. mmm same again broken wings and runners so packed up and went home as I don't like just injuring them and then chasing them round a field to Finnish the job and these are not from decades ago it was in the last year or two .steel needs to stay on the clay grounds where it belongs not on live quarry.

I really don't want to see a lead ban, but your view on steel shot is ridiculous. Could it be your shooting that was to blame for your poor results with steel?

Watch the pinkfoot shooting in it's entirety - shot with 4.5mm steel.

Edited by motty

So Mr Spunner seems to think MR Swift has been and is running his own agenda. No surprise there then - just a lot of betrayed members - assuming of course he was doing this before he became the 'retired' Mr Swift, with no links to BASC. It also suggests that BASC didnt have a voice despite what has been said but that Mr Swift did and it wasnt the memberships.

Rather bad form all round. Perhaps his parting wasnt that amicable?

One point I would like to make, John Swift is under contract by BASC to finish the work as chairman of the LAG. How do I know? He told me so.

Do you think John Swift should resign?