16 and 17 year olds to get the vote.

poontang

I'm 16, and i think it's a bad idea! Most people my age would vote not on their personal views but would be influenced by adults around them. Very few young adults actually have a clue about politics. It's not taught enough in schools. If this were to happen i feel it'd back fire on labour with most people voting UKIP

very well said.

KW

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 16, and i think it's a bad idea! Most people my age would vote not on their personal views but would be influenced by adults around them. Very few young adults actually have a clue about politics. It's not taught enough in schools. If this were to happen i feel it'd back fire on labour with most people voting UKIP or Green.

Well said indeed and for what it's worth very few older adults have a clue about politics either :)

I'm 16, and i think it's a bad idea! Most people my age would vote not on their personal views but would be influenced by adults around them. Very few young adults actually have a clue about politics. It's not taught enough in schools. If this were to happen i feel it'd back fire on labour with most people voting UKIP or Green.

If that happened then it would prove that Labour are completely out of touch, no bad thing really!

Imagine the chaos of Cameron and Farage sharing a majority with the Greens in 3rd having a controlling vote?

Question time would be entertaining again!

My youngest is 20 now so not to long out of school, whilst there she was full of diverse is good, multicultural beliefs are great, and in truth was a blatant leftie / greenie (even telling me that the company I work for was dangerous bad for humanity and unnecessary ( forgetting that it had given her a damn good lifestyle) 2 years later (after leaving) she asked me if I could get her a job with them!! sadly her grades where not good enough,but now she is older she is working grasping life's true realities and by god talk about a 180 degree turn, and no its not from myself or her mother its from seeing life in the raw and what is actually going on rather than what is "supposed to be going on" so my take is its not the home that sets the mold its the school, so in my opinion at 16 or 17 you dont not have the knowledge of life to vote.

KW

It's a cruel world out there and the sooner the youngsters realise it the better off they will be . At 20 years old I was married and had our first one on the way . I was to busy earning a living to keep us and had no idea of politics and had no interest what so ever .

Harnser

this is a good reason why 16yr olds should vote, shotgun98 has at least questioned the idea, is aware of the draw backs, and clearly would not be swayed by the adults around him, why is he any different to anyone else. I find my kids friends to be very independent and able to make up their own minds, their view might be different to the majority of older people but we dont seem to be making such a great job of it either !

this is a good reason why 16yr olds should vote, shotgun98 has at least questioned the idea, is aware of the draw backs, and clearly would not be swayed by the adults around him, why is he any different to anyone else. I find my kids friends to be very independent and able to make up their own minds, their view might be different to the majority of older people but we dont seem to be making such a great job of it either !

I thought that too.

Have the 16m waves arrived in your corner of the world yet?

:| violent storm tonight and tomorrow, with the fetch off the Atlantic, wouldn't want to be on a trawler out west at the moment,

Absolutely not, are you near a west facing coast? With a fetch from the southern tip of Greenland it will be an incredible sea state, quite something to witness, but horrendous for anybody out there.

Absolutely not, are you near a west facing coast? With a fetch from the southern tip of Greenland it will be an incredible sea state, quite something to witness, but horrendous for anybody out there.

My son is on an oil platform off the east coast of the Shetlands and he just phoned to say that it is getting very rough .

Harnser

My son is on an oil platform off the east coast of the Shetlands and he just phoned to say that it is getting very rough .

Harnser

I am a bit of a weather geek and extreme weather fascinates me. Having a consistent wave height of 50ft plus is mental, I wold love to be in a position to witness it, but at the same time I think that it would be intensely scary.

I hope that your son stays safe, I am not sure if I envy him getting to witness it or feel sorry for him for being stuck out in it.

I am a bit of a weather geek and extreme weather fascinates me. Having a consistent wave height of 50ft plus is mental, I wold love to be in a position to witness it, but at the same time I think that it would be intensely scary.

I hope that your son stays safe, I am not sure if I envy him getting to witness it or feel sorry for him for being stuck out in it.

Sorry about derailing thread, as a teen i worked on trawlers out of lowestoft in a two week trip we would fish off norway and up to iceland some of the banks in the north sea would see waves to to 50ft but they are often wide apart and our boat would travel up one side and down the other, you could go up north and get a trip on a trawler ! I am on the west side

I have been on yachts on the west in a force 9 and ferry in the channel in a force 12 and that was exciting !

It is the long fetch of this storm that has me intrigued, with forecasted wave heights of 16m just off the coast and as they stack up it will be phenomenal. In deep water with wide swell it is still huge waves, but as they break up on the shelving coastline it will be a maelstrom.

I have been on yachts on the west in a force 9 and ferry in the channel in a force 12 and that was exciting !

It is the long fetch of this storm that has me intrigued, with forecasted wave heights of 16m just off the coast and as they stack up it will be phenomenal. In deep water with wide swell it is still huge waves, but as they break up on the shelving coastline it will be a maelstrom.

rather you than me i'll see if i can get some photos

I think that it is a good idea, primarily because if you are of age to contribute to the system and get married etc I believe that you have the right to vote on how the country that you are contributing to is being run. I also believe that it would be taken seriously by a portion of 16/17s but the number that wouldn't greatly outweighs that portion. Perhaps I am biased, being educated in a co-ed private school, as it is likely that the pupils I have contact with are generally more mature and politically aware (which is encouraged at my school) and the teachers certainly aren't lefty, but also knowing pupils from rougher backgrounds it is clear that the majority would be influenced by their peer group first, then their parents and then their school.

I think that it is a good idea, primarily because if you are of age to contribute to the system and get married etc I believe that you have the right to vote on how the country that you are contributing to is being run. I also believe that it would be taken seriously by a portion of 16/17s but the number that wouldn't greatly outweighs that portion. Perhaps I am biased, being educated in a co-ed private school, as it is likely that the pupils I have contact with are generally more mature and politically aware (which is encouraged at my school) and the teachers certainly aren't lefty, but also knowing pupils from rougher backgrounds it is clear that the majority would be influenced by their peer group first, then their parents and then their school.

And just how much does a 16 year old contribute to the system then? whats the average wage for a 16 year old? if its 156 a week they contribute nothing, if its 200 a week they pay no tax but pay 12% NI conts above the 156 so around 12 quid a week, so no I dont think your contribution entitles you at 16 to have a say in how the country is run, all academic to me anyway as I am in the firm belief that at 16 apart from knowing whats the next games console out nothing else matters.

KW

At 16 and 17, you have very little life experience and are generally "left" Leaning because of this, probably made worse after years of indoctrination by the NUT. This was my experience anyway, only after graduating really did my political understanding move to the right (funny how paying tax helps that!)

I agree.

But there again, I ain't young enough to know everything.....