Decoy distance from hide

Fredwalton

Just to add my few penneth. I have set up on many occasions at first light and shot good bags. This has been on all manner of different crops. In my experience, the action can be hectic at first light and then slows a bit for a couple of hours. This can then be followed by some fantastic shooting as the pigeons get a feed for the last couple of hours.

Too many times I have gone to a rape field and put off several hundred birds at mid morning (at this time of year) only for them to not return that day.

Just to add my few penneth. I have set up on many occasions at first light and shot good bags. This has been on all manner of different crops. In my experience, the action can be hectic at first light and then slows a bit for a couple of hours. This can then be followed by some fantastic shooting as the pigeons get a feed for the last couple of hours.

Too many times I have gone to a rape field and put off several hundred birds at mid morning (at this time of year) only for them to not return that day.

+ 1

The above replies only go to show that every day the situation can change from the day before and this is when the local knowledge of crops are available and how the weather can affect what happens. This is why it pays to be adaptable and if it isn't working out then it is relatively easy to shift up the other end of the field. Don't worry about being seen moving or setting up because as soon as you are under cover they will come in to the pattern IF it is looking right from a pigeons view. I have had many occasions where I have gone out to the pattern to add birds or even to pack up and go home or move to another place and pigeons have tried to come into land right near me. And as it would be the gun is back in the hide.

The above replies only go to show that every day the situation can change from the day before and this is when the local knowledge of crops are available and how the weather can affect what happens. This is why it pays to be adaptable and if it isn't working out then it is relatively easy to shift up the other end of the field. Don't worry about being seen moving or setting up because as soon as you are under cover they will come in to the pattern IF it is looking right from a pigeons view. I have had many occasions where I have gone out to the pattern to add birds or even to pack up and go home or move to another place and pigeons have tried to come into land right near me. And as it would be the gun is back in the hide.

:good:

Yes, this has been exactly my experience, particularly over Winter Rape, you need to be there before first light, get set up, and if you have done your homework the first hour or so will be very brisk. I wouldn't like to bowl up to a field mid morning and expect a decent bag, at this time of year it doesn't work that way, not for me at least..?

Cat

Edited by Catamong