Grass Snake Christmas eve !! - quite a surprise

KFC

Hedghogs still out and about round here quite a few squirrels as well ,ridiculously mild for December .

Would the grass snake have been flushed from deep underground by rising water levels...This is what usually happens...?

I've seen adders coaxed out in January because of this.

The changing seasons and variances in weather patterns of the last 20 years or so ( global warming if you subscribe to that theory ) has seen some remarkable sightings in our natural world..

Only two days ago we had a whitethroat on the Bird table and I've never heard of this before as they normally winter in Africa..perhaps it was a late fledging young un.

I called over to my Mums old house last week and a blackbird was nesting in the porch timbers and there were two eggs in it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Brimstone tricked out of slumber by the warm sun.

Worst of all the grass on my lawn needs cutting !

KFC.

Put it in your pocket to warm up.

Could be interesting if its not really dead and comes to life.

Good point. I have seen grass snakes play dead when confronted by a dog. One even turned belly up with it's mouth wide open. When the dog was taken away the snake turned over and slithered away.

myself and another pw member were out lamping last night , at around midnight we both commented that it was like a mild summer evening .

i was also watching pigeons getting jiggy on my fence yesterday morning .

the seasons are certainly getting very mixed up.

Oddly,i saw a hedgehog while walking my dogs at 2.30am this morning and i also thought the little fella should be hibernating.

Grass snakes though-used to catch them when we were kids.When you pick them up and they get upset they secrete a foul smelling substance from their scales which is blooming hard to wash off. Used to catch them while they're basking on corrugated steel sheets in the morning at the nearby sand & gravel quarry.