Boots

moxey

Depending on what you want to pay, there are loads of good quality makes out there. One make that I have always been impressed with, considering the price, is Hi Tec Magnum boots (the full leather ones) I had a pair for years and wore them to many places, including trekking to base camp of Everest. They were as good, if not better, than some other ones that cost a hell of a lot more.

Have had Gronel in the past, very very good. Have just put these out to pasture after about 10 years of hard graft. Highly recommended.On a plus note they had the grippiest soles I've ever known, so much so I could walk up a pitched roof on 'Roofshield' membrane without battens.

Have had Harkila, both pairs of which leaked in. Not recommended.

Have had Le Chameau. Very good boots but leather tends to split after a couple of years. Mates have split and he's only had them about four seasons; he was complaining of wet feet on last shoot.

Currently have a pair of their latest design on which the rubber upper covers more of the leather. I've only had them for less than two years but so far so good.

The best I've ever owned were a pair of Matterhorn boots made by a company in Canada. Warm, comfortable, light and totally waterproof. Their only downside was the soft rubber soles wore down in no time and had them resoled twice in the 10 years I owned them. Bought them from Malmo guns when they still operated out of the oval barn, and they were well over 200 quid back then.

A couple of mates have Meindle, which they swear by, so may try those next time. One of them reckons his are over 10 years old, and the rubber is starting to split, but so far no wet feet.

Cheers lads for replies, a m8 ov mine swears by meindl Dover extreme , I no ther pricey, but I'm prepared to put good money into the right boots, ther mainly for standing about ina hide or wood not a lot ov walking, thanks again, I'll have a look on tinter net, cheers Neil an all the best to you all on pw for 2015

Third season with a pair of Mamute boots - these were recommended as I've got dodgy ankles (sprained both beating) and they have a hard plastic cup to keep your feet stable. So far excellent. Cost £200 but warm, good in heavy frozen plough (how I sprained my ankles), made by a Swiss company although when I looked closer factory was somewhere in Eastern Europe. a couple of years back noticed Countryfile lasses wearing same boots - not sure if this is relevant but you can dream of Ellie when you slip into yours!!

Third season with a pair of Mamute boots - these were recommended as I've got dodgy ankles (sprained both beating) and they have a hard plastic cup to keep your feet stable. So far excellent. Cost £200 but warm, good in heavy frozen plough (how I sprained my ankles), made by a Swiss company although when I looked closer factory was somewhere in Eastern Europe. a couple of years back noticed Countryfile lasses wearing same boots - not sure if this is relevant but you can dream of Ellie when you slip into yours!!

Yours being the wife or the boots ;) ;)

Hhmmmm Elliie

Must admit i've found Harkilla boots to be complete rubbish, would never ever buy another pair.

I've had 3 pairs and each 1 is actually worse than the last if that was possible, last 2 were half price but even at half price was too much for them. The pair i'm trying to wear at the minuite i have to have Yeti gaiters and Sealskin socks in a vain attempt to keep my feet dry. The rubber bit of uppers has cracked/perished and have really done nothing

Dunno wot my next pair will be. A lot of the grouse keepers swear by Mendl Dovre, but also say the oler ones were far better and asted longer than the newer ones, some others reccomend Lundhags or Altbergs

But like a lot of things comes down to personal prference and wot ur looking for

Edited by scotslad

Bought a pair of Musto buckden boots 2 years ago from someone that unfortunately purchased the wrong size for her hubby! Managed to have them nearly half price and haven't looked back.. Fully waterproof neubuck leather goretex lined to keep the old toes warm while everyone else complains on a frosty morning! Seem to be discontinued in UK now but did find a pair for my dad on fleabag that were posted from China, genuine boot and nowhere near what dealers were selling them for!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Altburg Defenders. Was unsure whether to go for Haix or Altburgh. Few lads at work use Haix and they're happy with them. I've no intention using mine for work so the brown Altburg's seemed a good punt. Im sticking to the recommended Leder Gris wax oil regards boot care. Only used them twice so early days and very dry feet! ...