.17HMR set-up

Chezney

Hi all,

I've finally taken the leap and decided to get a FAC, with a .17HMR on it.

I'm fairly set on the Browning T-bolt - unless anyone has particularly bad views on them?

From what I have read on other threads, moderators are much of a muchness? I'm just as well getting a £40 on as a £140?

But, my main concern is the scope. Since i've only ever had air rifles and shotguns, scopes have not been a major issue. My budget isn't huge - and I'm hoping it wont have to be. From what I've gathered, some magnification is nice for the 150yd shots, but clarity is also key. If I say budget is £200ish, what would you all say?

Cheers 'en!

As said vortex are good I have one on my xbolt on my rimfires I have MTC mambas that way I see the same reticule which ever gun in pick up, they are good quality and ideally suited to my needs I would recommend them and there's a few the Bay used for under £150

Edited by kennym

I currently have a BSA 3-12x56 illuminated on my hmr but going to swap it with a hawke hd 3-9x50

If I were you mate with £200 budget for a scope I would go with Vortex Diamondback about £175 from Riflecraft

Got a SAK moderator on mine does the job fine but heard good things about the specific .17hmr Swift Precision Nightingale mod

Edited by Mossyoak77

Another vote for the Vortex Diamondback I have the 4-12 AO model (origionally an airrifle scope) and it is one hell of a lot of scope for the money. Also lifetime guarentee on them comparible to the Leup VX2s in my opinion.

Edited by Zetter

I got a second-hand Schmidt & Bender 6X42 for £250, which is a cracking scope. Some may say it's a bit overkill for a .17HMR, but the clarity is brilliant, especially at dusk. Personally, I don't see the need for massive magnification on a .17HMR, and I can imagine the S&B outliving me, never mind the rifle :D

I've had a Hawke Panorama EV IR and a Redfield Revolution on my hmrs, both good scopes for the calibre and around your budget too.

I had a choice between the T-Bolt and CZ 452. Went with the CZ in the end as the T-Bolt just felt a little toy-like in comparison weight-wise etc. cracking gun by all accounts though.