Vague reloading question

I have read many threads about reloading some quite old and was after a more upto date opinion from PW members based on current costs for ammo and components.

How much cheaper are you guys finding it to reload over buying factory rounds in .223 and .308 for target shooting so FMJ only.

I'm trying to get an estimate on cost differance for 100 rounds to determine the break even point on buying the equipment.

Cheers

I paid, for my last set of components, for .223 :

£4.00 for 100 primers (Win SR) bulk buying will pull the price down to £3.50 per 100 or so.

£42 for 454g of H4895 powder (I use 25.2 grains per round, 7000 grains per lb, so that is enough for 277 rounds)

£19 for 100 Hornady Match bullets (you can get cheaper bullets, PPU for about £15 per 100 for 55gr)

So that costs me 23p for the primer and bullet, and 15.1p per round for powder, making a total of 38.1p per round, or £38.10 per 100.

BUT, then there's the time involved, buying the press, dies (though you will be able to sell those for part of the price later on, if you change your mind).

On the plus side, I simply can't find a brilliantly accurate commercial target round for my rifle. Reloading means that I get that round.

223 rounds-52g Amax, ccibr primers, 24.5g of blc2 in Ppu-hornaday brass 26p a pop. £10 for 20 ppu or £18 for 20 vmax factory .Now for 20 nato 308 £7.50. I'm a tight ****,but I reload for accuracy not cost. When you add all the factors together its probably cheaper to buy factory or nato,if you don't shoot alot,as in targets.

223 rounds-52g Amax, ccibr primers, 24.5g of blc2 in Ppu-hornaday brass 26p a pop. £10 for 20 ppu or £18 for 20 vmax factory .Now for 20 nato 308 £7.50. I'm a tight ****,but I reload for accuracy not cost. When you add all the factors together its probably cheaper to buy factory or nato,if you don't shoot alot,as in targets.

How are you managing that ?

I had some Amax a while back (£20 per hundred, so 20p each)), and primers I can't imagine less than 3p per, so that would mean your powder must be virtually free. Kranks are showing BLC2 at £41 per lb, so that should be 14-15 pence for powder per round.

By my calculations, that's more like 37 to 38p per round

Edited by robbiep

I'm lucky, in that a lot of people in my club are far too lazy to reload. If I wanted to, I could come home with 100+ once-fired brass every time I went to the range.

My wife might kill me though ...

You don't want to introduce her to HID then. When I come home from clay busting I generally have at least 200 used 12g hulls in a sack. Have to whip them upstairs into my man cave quickly before she gets too nosy. I've got them coming out my ears now. I know what you're thinking but I can't help it. If I see those Fiocchi carts sitting there in the bins they look so lonely I feel I have to take them home and refill them. I reload them about 2 times or at a push 3 times before I chuck them.

If I just factor in consumables; I reload .243 for £8/box of 20, while Privi is about £13 and Winchester is £25.

My homeloads shoot groups about 1/2 the size of factory rounds and if I was burning through lots of rounds on a range, it would make total financial sense. For someone like me who maybe shoots 20 deer a year at 150m or less, the odd fox and an occasional zero session, it's only worth reloading if you enjoy it. I calculated that it will take 5 years to break even on my investment in relatively economical LEE reloading gear with .243 at this rate. Fortunately I reload for a range of more expensive calibres and enjoy it as a hobby though.