Best .223 scope

Django

I know this item will have probably been covered 100 times before, but what is everyone's opinion on the best scope for a .223?

I am going to be treating myself to one in the next month or so hopefully (finger crossed on FAC coming back open and with variation) and will be using it solely for foxes.

Edited by Django

There isn't one!

Everyone has the best scope on their rifle, and they are all different.

This is like asking the forum to chose your girlfriend.

Stand at the door of the RFD and look through the scopes he has, then get what you are happy with.

:good:Over the years I have found the last part of this to be good advice but it only solves part of the problem . Other factors such as zero holding and returning to the same point when adjusted are not so easily determined.

Would be out to around 200 yards, and nearly always at night.

I was leaning towards the Schmidt and bender 8 x 56, but I can't decide if I would miss the variable zoom???

+1 on that its all you need. The fox won't complain if the shot is an inch out. Go fixed mag and good glass. S&B, Swarovski, Meopta, thats the way to go

I'd agree with all that has been said :yes: like before go into your local rfd's have a look through some new / used if they have some in that are used/ex-demo

see what suits you or what you like eg thin/thick reticles, mil dot/30-30, fixed/vari mag. buy what you can afford, dont deny the brands swarovski or zeiss brilliant

glass new top stuff looked through a new zeiss conquest in my local rfd would buy it if I could,

but you can pick up decent glass in used so you dont always have to spend £800+ or £1000 on a new one

have a look on gunstar/guntrader there are some good buys to be had for the £525 and below price range sorry to be specific but there's a very nice zeiss duralyt on gunstar :lol:

I've just put a deposit on a used mtc genesis scope just over £220, 50mm objective plenty of magnification will go with the Tikka T3 .22cf I've had put to one side + wildcat evo mod :)

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/184ba105bbe9370330355553/Carl+Zeiss+Duralyt+3-12x50/

I have one on my 222 A good choice without the limitations of a fixed mag.

Sh you can get a good one for around the 400 mark.

I think if I don't go for the fixed mag I will defiantly go for this!! Didn't realisr there were such good deals on sportsman!

One last thought. I've just put a Yukon 3-12x56 craft scope on my .308. Had it on my .223 for a while good glass seems to hold zero well 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, 10 year warranty. Best bit is you can get them for less than £300 on Amazon.

I think if I don't go for the fixed mag I will defiantly go for this!! Didn't realisr there were such good deals on sportsman!

The issue really with fixed mag is they are great for deer where the target is fairly large and at worst shot at low light. Under a lamp at 200 yards a fox isn't the biggest target, and that's before you see a cub at that range. Once you've used a decent variable you won't go back

The issue really with fixed mag is they are great for deer where the target is fairly large and at worst shot at low light. Under a lamp at 200 yards a fox isn't the biggest target, and that's before you see a cub at that range. Once you've used a decent variable you won't go back

I disagree I much prefer my 8x56 fix mag for fixing reliable no nonsense and better light gathering than the coresponding variable and you can't leave it on the wrong mag setting. All my variables are now off the rifles and fix mag S&Bs are on.

That's why it's a hard choice I wouldn't put another fixed on while I could afford a decent variable. It must be the amount they get used but I can't remember forgetting to reduce the mag after a shot. I know I have a mate with an 8x56 and he passes up longer shots

As has been said, not a question anyone else can really answer for you but you've already had a good assortment of useful opinions to consider.

I've a minor point that is somewhat different from the above re checking in your local dealer or indeed at a shooting show/game fair. I did look through a good number of decent scopes at the Show this weekend but you can tell very little re the optics by using it under such conditions. And at somewhere like the CLA or The Midland, not much more can be seen IMHO.

I have yet to make any reasonable assessment of a scope by looking through it at a trade stand. Far better, IMHO, to get someone to show you one in the field - but obviously can be more difficult to arrange.

When I got my foxing 223 I put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 mildot on it which I thought was a great choice. It actually wasn't. I lost more opportunities than I gained, as in the areas on my land that had most foxes, the terrain was 'close country' with gorse and hedges and plenty of ditches/walls. A 6 mag scope was too much to gain a quick sight picture. I've now got a 3-9 Tasco Euroclass scope on (one of the better Tasco scopes with Japanese glass) and it's much better although I haven't used it a lot yet. Also, I was dead keen to have a mildot scope on my centrefire as I knew every range and every mark on my rimfire scope and thought mildots/range marks were indispensable. But, out to 200 yds you don't need anything more than a duplex reticule with a 223. You can aim straight on for foxes - that is with with a 'zero' of one inch high at 100yds.