The PW Boating Thread

thepasty

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm keen to buy anothe boat, something like a Hunter Sonata or similar soon, as I just got rid of my pride and joy catamaran a short while back :-(.

I've had all manner of dinghies, raced all around UK in the Laser Radial class, and did ok.

But ultimately loved speed and effortlessness using the trapeze wire on a boat and the spitfire was a twin trapeze cat with a good sized sail area for me and my crew and yes I trashed it a few times in races from pitch poling (where the bows dog into a wave when Spinny up and catches and you get catapulted forward off boat whilst boat flips over... Good fun but costly!!!! Lost many a carbon fibre tiller extension (which are 6ft and expensive!) and other bits...

Used to love the forts race and the 3 piers in essex, that's where the pic of the red bull in hand trapeze sailing comes from...

But now I'm wanting something more sedate...

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

732F1C94-A694-4E58-8EB6-7236FB980B48-521

F31A663C-390C-484E-8BE2-FF60B7EF3CA5-521

This will be my summer jaunt... 4 months in the Australian summer time, shame I'll be working :rolleyes::sad1:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0c374e987573c842686ad2bf3be65cb1&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=305535&p=2755878&md5check=1b265971c17d0cdd72fffa73f157a155&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,69WjYzNpZnI'); //]]></script>RTMCartier_zpsbd555d5a.jpg&&0

Now there's a real rarity - a British registered ship :yahoo:

Some great pics chaps. Will post some when i have taken some :lol:

The fleet consits of an Avon Searider SR4 with a 55hp Suzi 2 stroke on the back, plenty enough for here on Windermere, used it a total of 3 times last summer, need more time up here. :unhappy:

A Wayfarer GRP MKI which i love to play on. Wish i had the skill to try that spitfire Mac! , always fancied a Hobie at some point.

A gorgeous clinker built dinghy my late father in law had built up here on Windermere, Gaff rigged with orange sails, it's a real "Swallows and Amazons" boat and has a lot of sentimental value to me as my F-I-L got me into sailing. He was a Broads man by birth.

I should get out on it more but always worry i will damage it despite the fact that in its early years it spent a lot of time full of water! I just rig it and look at it.

Some great pics chaps. Will post some when i have taken some :lol:

The fleet consits of an Avon Searider SR4 with a 55hp Suzi 2 stroke on the back, plenty enough for here on Windermere, used it a total of 3 times last summer, need more time up here. :unhappy:

A Wayfarer GRP MKI which i love to play on. Wish i had the skill to try that spitfire Mac! , always fancied a Hobie at some point.

A gorgeous clinker built dinghy my late father in law had built up here on Windermere, Gaff rigged with orange sails, it's a real "Swallows and Amazons" boat and has a lot of sentimental value to me as my F-I-L got me into sailing. He was a Broads man by birth.

I should get out on it more but always worry i will damage it despite the fact that in its early years it spent a lot of time full of water! I just rig it and look at it.

Au contraire Keg, it takes less brains to own one of those! Just need to take your brain out and put it in a box on the shore...

I once was doing around 20 knots towards Mersea Islands beach in a good consistent force 4-5 (the Creekmouth side) and my mate had put a knot in my Spinnaker lines as a joke and I couldn't drop it to Gybe... Had to ditch last second and boy did we hit the water fast!

Seriously it was a great boat, good to race the jet skis to the number 1 buoy out of Brightlingsea, but not so fun when Bernie the harbour master caught up with me in 'Dracula' his boat, when caught using the Asymmetric in the creek full pelt on a reach in a 4knot limit.

I do love Wayfarers, I quite fancy one - especially a MK1.

Top boats in my book are:

8M yacht, classic...

Dragon (yacht class) again a classic

Both of the above I've been honoured to crew as part of during various regattas... (The 8Metre 'If').

I still remember the old Fireball fleet, in all its glory - a great class to race in.

Sadly no more, all the RTM vessels flagged out to Singapore while I was last on-board. Sad day for the British fleet!

Still managed from Glasgow and London however!

Interesting that. Does your ship use the 'Marine Store Guide' (the IMPA book) on board for spare parts?

Sadly no more, all the RTM vessels flagged out to Singapore while I was last on-board. Sad day for the British fleet!

Still managed from Glasgow and London however!

Yes - I did 20 years in two stints, virtually all British first time around, then a mix of primarily 'pseudo-British' sort of red ensigns, with Flip crews.

So yes a truly sad day - and I can't see it improving, now drive a salty desk, hopefully, to weigh anchor for the last time in a couple of years!

Standingby to Standby :lol:

Me and the old fella have a rib ,an old Avon sea rider with a 50 hp evinrude on the back, it's stored with the caravan on Anglesey. We have a great time fishing and wake boarding etc around the llanwrog and church Bay Area. We've even been to the Isle of man in the beggar, my grandfather has always had a boat, he taught me how to fish. I have some great ( the best childhood memories) going fishing wth my grandfather. He still comes out with us now at 78 years old, TOP MAN he is, taught me all he knows

Happy days

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

I've done a fair bit of sailing. 420's at national level, lasers, more recently, RS300 (that nearly killed me!) all sold since my car accident which means I can't hike anymore.

I've done a fair bit on yachts, as a coastal skipper too, got my hours up sailing Excelsior around about 10 yrs ago, she is an old fishing smack and competes in the Tall Ships Race.

post-26357-0-70927900-1423865653_thumb.jpg

This year I'm off doing the Dunkirk little ships, taking my Dads boat from Lowestoft to Dunkirk and back which should be a good laugh!

post-26357-0-00216300-1423866430_thumb.jpg

Hah, just spotted the Boatee thread.

i have my eye on a rubber dinghy advertised on E bay, a Bark BT 330 and asked the seller a question as to what outboard I would need, a long shaft or short.

The answer came back, "The transon is adjustable and measure approximately 508mm" !

What can anybody make of that ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

It maybe that there are different holes drilled in the transom but would ask for pics.

Every outboard I have had/seen is fixed to the transom by straddling it and held in place with hand screws on the small outbords.

Even pictures wouldn't tell me much.

They are new and the seller is the UK importer so you would think he would know, every small boat/dinghy I have ever had gives the HP rating and shaft length required to propell it.

The UK importer is based in Edinburgh otherwise I would pop along to have a look as they look pretty good and are a lot cheaper than Avon Dinghys.