.257 Weatherby Magnum

Got a friend who has just acquired a 257 Weatherby mag for piggies. Anybody know of any UK gunshop who has a stock of ready loaded ammo for it ?. For preference Lancs/Yorks/Cheshire.

I am aware that Sportsmans are the importer and Brownells have Norma Brass.

Thanks

A

Edited by Alycidon

A very unusual calibre that, its basically a necked down .375 H&H case. Its going to be interesting finding the ammo for it. You said your friend has bought it for piggies, does that mean boar? In america its an ultra long range varmint calibre used for shooting chucks and coyotes although its also used on deer.

Edited by Vince Green

Check out the weatherby nation forum for info about boar hunting with the 257. It is certainly considered a boar capable calibre in the USA. As for ammo - start reloading ☺. If the bullet does not kill them the blast will and if that fails the 2ft of flame from the barrel will toast em.

Check out the weatherby nation forum for info about boar hunting with the 257. It is certainly considered a boar capable calibre in the USA. As for ammo - start reloading ☺. If the bullet does not kill them the blast will and if that fails the 2ft of flame from the barrel will toast em.

You have to be very wary of what the Yanks claim for the capability of calibres. They would have you believe a .357 Mag is suitable for bears because there are pistol hunters who really do go out and hunt them with a 357. They shoot all manner of things with calibres we would think unsuitable.

A very unusual calibre that, its basically a necked down .375 H&H case. Its going to be interesting finding the ammo for it. You said your friend has bought it for piggies, does that mean boar? In america its an ultra long range varmint calibre used for shooting chucks and coyotes although its also used on deer.

Actually isn't isn't a common cartridge there either. Most of the guys who shoot one have them out west for Pronghorn or Mule deer at distance. It isn't a groundhog gun at all and all of the serious coyote guys are using a lot smaller guns.

With a 110 accubond, the 257 WBM makes a great deer gun if you need the power/range. Most people don't, but some do.

Al,

That could be a tough one without special order. In the US most shops don't stock it, so I don't hold much hope for your friend but good luck.

rick

And zero it real slow, or the first few inches of rifling will be gone real quick!

A strange choice for pigs! Maybe Barns copper bullets should be considered!

U.

I'm with you Underdog - right energy, wrong bullet. Best you could hope for would be that a 120gr monolithic bullet of some kind puts the pig down before he decides to put your head on his wall.

The Yanks will, it seems, shoot anything that moves, with anything that fires. It's a wonder they spend so much time going on about this calibre or that when, in practice, it doesn't seem to matter a jot - they'll use any old thing.

200gr plus with slow expansion for boar - anything less and you're asking for trouble, in my book.

Edited by neutron619

Our old friend the 9.3 x 62 shooting a 285 grainer will stop a pig a treat.

David.

Now that's a proper pig round. None of this 60-grain-quarter-calibre-**** (with apologies to the OP). Personally, I quite like the look of the relatively new .450 Marlin: a 350gr FP at 2000fps sounds just the ticket. I might apply for one when my renewal is up.

+1 on the .270 / .308 / .30-06 / round ball. Suggest 12 gauge slug also a decent option.

Edited by neutron619

Now that's a proper pig round. None of this 60-grain-quarter-calibre-**** (with apologies to the OP). Personally, I quite like the look of the relatively new .450 Marlin: a 350gr FP at 2000fps sounds just the ticket. I might apply for one when my renewal is up.

+1 on the .270 / .308 / .30-06 / round ball. Suggest 12 gauge slug also a decent option.

Re the 450Marlin, 45/70 brass is easier to find and cheaper I bets!

A 45Colt from a carbine or 44m!

35rem from a levergun!

What does it feed like ??? For a quick second shot you will need it to be faultless.

I have to agree with other comments, out of all the calibres out there, it wouldn't be my choice.

You can load a flinter real quick with a paper cartridge Dougy.

But for dangerous game a pistol flintlock of .60ish would do, maybe in smoothbore and two balls in it .

Of course one would have to decide quickly whether to aim the pistol at the boar or aim it at ones own head :-/.

Lol

You can load a flinter real quick with a paper cartridge Dougy.

But for dangerous game a pistol flintlock of .60ish would do, maybe in smoothbore and two balls in it .

Of course one would have to decide quickly whether to aim the pistol at the boar or aim it at ones own head :-/.

Lol

Sorry UD i, was referring to the 257

Yes with the amount of necking down feed might be a worry. Probably not in this case as Weatherbys were well made rifles. If this is a WeatherbyV it should feed. I just didn't get on with his obsession about velocity.

David.

Its a belted case so it will just rattle in but being belted may make it a harder round to reload. That shoulder is going to be fun in the resizing die. Also given the extreme velocity and large case volume its liable to be fussy about loads.

I owned a 257 Weatherby till last year and loaded my own ammo. I still have a pile of cases in the workshop. But I remember we used 300 Winchester or something simular necked down. It was awesome with a 75gr HP for foxing. At night it would produce a 6 foot flame out the end of the barrel. I used it fallow culling one year up north and was asked not to bring it again, terrible carcass damage. Fun to shoot but expencive to run.

Andrew

257 in wood.

a83c7939aadf19c51920649cd9346ad1.jpg

Is that the vanguard action Andrew?

I believe it was a Mark V, I must have owned it for 7/8 years and I bought it from a good friend. Rifle, dies, cases and bullet heads for a whopping £200.

It was one of thoses rifles you just had to have, but in reality very unpractical due to the weight of the bolt/action and the 26" barrel, then the noise and after 6 months it sat in the cabinet and only came out for a bit of fun.

Andrew

Edited by Elk hunter

I believe it was a Mark V, I must have owned it for 7/8 years and I bought it from a good friend. Rifle, dies, cases and bullet heads for a whopping £200.

It was one of thoses rifles you just had to have, but in reality very unpractical due to the weight of the bolt/action and the 26" barrel, then the noise and after 6 months it sat in the cabinet and only came out for a bit of fun.

Andrew

Would it be your choice for Piggie wiggy lol ?

I must admit 257 Weatherby for piggies would not be my choice.

The HO guidance of 270W or bigger is not actually that bad. I used to live on the continent and quite a few places insisted on 7mm or bigger as a calibre.

As such, 7x57 was popular, .30-'06, 7x64 (I've got one in this, cracking chambering) and 7mm rem mag but for pigs generally bigger is considered better so 300WM, 8x57, 9.3x62 are popular. (Also go a 9.3x62 as a piggy rifle. "Le calibre superior" I believe one French chap called it)

Pistol calibres: Funnily enough it is difficult to get 45LC to break 1000ftlb even out of a lever action. Better going .357M or .44M but tbh I'd stick with "rifle bullets" 450 Marlin, 45-70 or .444Marlin should do it if you wish to go down that route.

ATB,

Scrummy