Restocking an Over Under

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you decided how you are going to drill for the draw bolt?

I think so I will measure the angle of the bolt from the face of the head (if that makes sense) and drill from the butt to just before the grip. Then spin it round and drill from the head in the opposite direction. The first hole being wide enough to take the washer, second being just wider than the bolt.

Edited to say drilled with brace and auger bit.

This should become clear when I put the pics on.

Regards

SS

Edited by Stacker Shepherd

I have been told the best drill bit to use is a gun drill, which is a self centering bit that does not wonder about as much as conventional bits, you need to make plenty of passes in and out to clear the chips though.

The gun drill has a 45 degree angle on the head i think and a recess cut into the length of the bit, google images probably will show what i mean better.

I have been told the best drill bit to use is a gun drill, which is a self centering bit that does not wonder about as much as conventional bits, you need to make plenty of passes in and out to clear the chips though.

The gun drill has a 45 degree angle on the head i think and a recess cut into the length of the bit, google images probably will show what i mean better.

Thanks for the advice.

The gun drill is obviously the correct tool for the job but just had a quick look on google and cant see any readily available in the UK. Do you know where i can get one?.

The use of the auger bit was my attempt to minimize the wondering as i can pilot the tunnel inch at a time and the auger will pull itself along the pilot without guidance.

Looks good, wouldn't know where to start, I'm ok with internal organs, DIY, never, last time I did anything I contact adhesived my hand to a fire place, terrifying.

Haha luckily I've not drilled into my own body, filed my skin off or remove any fingers with a chisel or saw, but theres always time!

Thanks its getting there.

Evening,

Nothing major to report on yet as I've been out shooting a lot the past couple of weeks.

Spent a day over at Nottingham being coached on Skeet, ABT and DTL. Then spent a day over at Fauxdegla in the wind and rain shooting an all round before driving home to shoot a 97 at High lodge for the English Open the next day which I was pleased with.

While I was at Notts though one of my mates had brought along 20 or so little bottles of boiled linseed oil and was handing them out. He had ordered what he thought was a small bottle through work to touch up his own stock only to have a 25ltr drum arrive :lol:. So if your at a ground over the next month and see a guy handing our bottles of linseed oil for free it's probably him. Anyway I used a drop on an off cut of my stock blank and the pic of it is below should be a good indication of future colour.

Regards

SSC11376F1-913A-473E-AD35-C04922DAC6F7_zps

practicing with a draw knife and spoke shave would be worth while too antiquated tools and largely undervalued but when shaping stocks a sharp spoke shave is worth while. You can get old wooden ones on ebay most have seen little to no use and once you sharpen and hone the blade they are a useful tool. That being said its taken a good bit or practice to confidently use mine, you can't really practice on soft woods because they don't spoke shave so well.

When shaping i spoke shave down as close as i dare to the lines i go, segment the stock in to flats then draw file out the flats then blend the flats together then begin sanding. with a flat backer and progress through the grits.

Made an effort to get the bolt tunnel done today.

You can see from the pics its not a bad alignment but if i had to do it again i would invest in some other drilling equipment.

I drilled from the head into the stock then from the butt into the stock hoping that the 2 holes would meet head on, which they did but are slightly off centre of each other.

If I had another go I would drill from the head the full length of the stock then counter bore from the butt end stopping at the required depth.

471C865F-0509-403B-8F90-F299C12DE1B5_zps

52332355-05A9-433B-9328-69DA683439A3_zps

5A092ED6-51D1-460E-9BCD-49A16A55DF43_zps

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Its been a while I know, but I have been trying to put some time in where i can and here is a series of pics showing the shaping of the butt stock. Its not far from final shape.

Regards

SS

6517DE74-97F8-4CA7-B2A2-4F6343EC526D_zps

F45C1478-8AF4-4A21-9FFB-D1B7F2E6BDE3_zps

FF8030EF-3E57-40B7-A0EC-2F89828FBB60_zps

EC40E2E0-3D75-483B-946F-0DDC8642B8C4_zps

429E0389-F1D8-4EFA-A459-7B8F606390E4_zps

61161518-F2F6-43BE-9159-2EE7EC2F016F_zps

BBAB9457-3F18-48FD-96D0-10CB76C92280_zps

Compared with original stock. Significantly reshaped grip for straighter, more comfortable, grip through wrist.

85ACE05E-54C8-4CC3-9D9D-78BE58914235_zps

951D7A8A-13EB-40FF-BFDD-DB601A9A5535_zps

FDBE9E2B-CA94-48A3-88AD-4B070C7D47E4_zps

The next pic shows the extent of the cast off i have applied through shaping. If it was straight it would run parallel with the edge of the slab its on.

9537CC5F-E5D9-4EEF-A654-C26D8EE92BA1_zps

Stock as I left it today. Still plenty to get down around the head

2224449E-F7C9-41CB-95F9-E2B11A7557B0_zps
53D13C0A-4BCA-4FCF-BF9A-CE7D4616A43F_zps

7800F48A-3096-4AD6-ADCE-919BA868D60B_zps

... you need a spokeshave! It allows you to more accurately chase the lines you want up and down the stock very easily, very easy to use and undervalued tools, they also make a quick job of removing rasping marks, the shave also won't compact the grain like a rasp will. I really recommend one, eBay usually has a surplus of old wooden ones for pennies, the steel on the blades is usually very good and the soles are very rarely worn out.

Great to see more progress, the very tight radius round the grip is not to my tastes for me but its not my gun :D

Hi Mate, I have been watching this thread with great interest.

You'll be the owner of the only Sabatti Medallist with a bespoke stock, it looks like a lovely piece of wood and I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Mate, I have been watching this thread with great interest.

You'll be the owner of the only Sabatti Medallist with a bespoke stock, it looks like a lovely piece of wood and I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, it gives perspective as to why custom stocks cost ££££.

Hi

Great progress your doing a great thing creating your own bespoke stock

Well done

All the best

Of

Cheers