Browning 525 sporter 2015 model

Biggsy

very good gun worth buying brand new as only £300 more than a 10 year old gun better / new engraving also a better butt pad than the older models, same pad as on the 725

shot my mates a few times and would not hesitate in buying one if I needed a new gun

I bought one about 8 years ago. I liked it so much I have since bought another.

Neither gun has faltered and have had thousands of cartridges put through them. One of has even been dropped in a lough and after some tlc continues to operate flawlessly.

Good feedback,had a few guns in my time,went over this gun having a very good look at joints(wood and metal)well put together!

Had several in shop to look at,5 laid out on table,was able to pick one with a nice grain in the stock.

Nice gun,was surprised at the reduced recoil,(eley superb,28grm)

My setup is:

Gun: Browning 525 30" MC 2014 model with Invector + chokes and the 725 recoil pad.

Chokes: Teague - 3/8ths & 3/8ths best of both worlds (1/4 & 1/2) and this stops me barrel selector switching!

Cartridges: Gamebore where ever possible, WhiteGold for special occaisions but run of the mill is Evo`s or Volocitys. 28gram 7.5 plas wad.

I just need to be as good as my setup now. :lol:

I wanted the same choke in both barrels to stop me faffing about as I started to do that a bit like choke twiddling but couldn't decide on quarter or half . . . So I went in between and now just get on with it not worrying about barrel/choke selection!

ATB

Matt

A little underwhelmed with mine to be honest, bought new last year.

It was stiff to open as new which is as you would expect, but 6 months on it got so stiff it had to go back to the shop to be repaired. Fair play to Greenfields who actually did the repair while I waited. They seemed very familiar with this particular issue and knew exactly which bit of the mechanism to grind.

Last month I noticed that both firing pins have started pitting - this is after less than 2000 carts. I spoke to Greenfields on the phone who said its a common fault with the 525 but not covered by warranty unless the pins actually fail or start to soft strike.

It shoots well enough but quality wise they ain't all that, in my opinion.

Miroku/Browning firing pins almost always get pitted and the tips will gradually erode until eventually the gun will fail to fire. Usually the bottom barrel goes first. Fortunately they're pretty cheap to replace, although the question as to why it still happens after 50 years in production is still open; especially since other gun makers seem to be able to make pins that don't erode.

Apart from the firing pins the quality is okay for the money and the fit and finish is reasonable too. Decent enough guns but nothing special.

Edited by Westward

Miroku/Browning firing pins almost always get pitted and the tips will gradually erode until eventually the gun will fail to fire. Usually the bottom barrel goes first. Fortunately they're pretty cheap to replace, although the question as to why it still happens after 50 years in production is still open; especially since other gun makers seem to be able to make pins that don't erode.

Apart from the firing pins the quality is okay for the money and the fit and finish is reasonable too. Decent enough guns but nothing special.

Interesting point this. I was getting a gun serviced recently and the gunsmith remarked at the good state the firing pins were in and guessed the cartridges that have been used. His opinion was if I'd been using other brands (and mentioned Eleys), there may well have been more pitting/damage to the firing pins from the primers that they use.

The folks over on Shotgunworld have discussed this at length and concluded that shells they call 'euro' shells such as Rio (same parent company as Eley) have hard primers and the Browning pins literally pierce the primer exposing the pins to very high temps which results in pitting. But that still doesn't explain why it only happens to Miroku built guns.

It varies. The pin length, especially the bottom pin is critical and my guess is that there are slight variations due to manufacturing tolerances. Some claim 50K rounds others much less. For example, about 6 years ago a friend bought a Citori from a relative. It was known to have only shot about 100 shells. He started to get intermittent fail to fire within a couple of thousand rounds (Eley First fibres) and the local gunsmith made up a new pair of pins to fit that exact gun by measuring the protrusion from the breech face rather than simply machining them to the specified overall length. I haven't seen the guy for a year or so but AFAIK he's had no further problems.

No need to worry about it, it's not a big problem; just check them occasionally for pitting erosion of the tip.

It was stiff to open as new which is as you would expect, but 6 months on it got so stiff it had to go back to the shop to be repaired. Fair play to Greenfields who actually did the repair while I waited. They seemed very familiar with this particular issue and knew exactly which bit of the mechanism to grind.

Interesting. Very roughly after how long/how many cartridges do people think it's reasonable to expect a new gun to stop being noticably stiff?

I've only had new 525for a week (had other guns for many years),expected the gun to be stiff for opening,on all moving parts (relevant to opening) I smeared a small amount of "Napier" white gun grease,this made quite a difference.......although the top lever may take some time to ease

• 4 weeks later...

Pot hunter and Biggsy

You've missed the point entirely or perhaps I didn't describe the issue properly. The gun was getting stiffer and stiffer, not breaking in and getting better as you would expect but getting worse. So much so that by the time I took it for repair anyone with weak mist couldn't even open it. Common fault apparently from poor tolerance control.

I have a 2013 model the one with the non Inflex pad

Really nice gun for the money but not so expensive that I have to cosset it and be worried about bumps and scrapes when using it.

I think they're very good value it would take most people a while for they're ability to out grow a nice 525.