Drug Smugglers executed in Indonesia

keg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'If' ? They were guilty and were not duped then I'm afraid as barbaric as it may seen.......the law is the law and if you take your chances you must be aware and prepared to take the punishment of said country.

However, I'm doubting myself already and I haven't pressed the post button yet?????????

Should they have been executed? Yes

Did they know the risks? Yes

Will it have a deterrent effect? Well they won't be doing it again!!

It's quite clear in Indonesian law that drug trafficking carries a death penalty. They've handled it according to their laws, therefore it's the correct way to handle it.

I have absolutely no problem with the sentence being carried out.

Should they have been executed? Yes

Did they know the risks? Yes

Will it have a deterrent effect? Well they won't be doing it again!!

It's quite clear in Indonesian law that drug trafficking carries a death penalty. They've handled it according to their laws, therefore it's the correct way to handle it.

I have absolutely no problem with the sentence being carried out.

Best answer I've seen in a while on PW ,

The law of the land, is the law of the land,

Simples

Atb

Flynny

Im sorry but i don't believe the crime of drug smuggling is worthy of execution, no crime is. Its not the stone age, things have moved on.

So a cretin does nasty things to your wife and family and then murders them, do you not want to see them excecuted?

Prison would be enough for the deed eh?

Drugs create various crimes mate,

Bad news all around,

Tab

Flynny

No i don't, i very much believe the quote that to take a life when a life has been lost is not justice, it is revenge. I am not a vengeful person, i am not the same as the scum that would do that, they can rot in jail.

I dont deny that drugs create crime, but i don't believe crime would stop without them either.

No i don't, i very much believe the quote that to take a life when a life has been lost is not justice, it is revenge. I am not a vengeful person, i am not the same as the scum that would do that, they can rot in jail.

I dont deny that drugs create crime, but i don't believe crime would stop without them either.

Each to there own mate, you have your opinion ( which I respect)and I have mine

Atb

Flynny

Im sorry but i don't believe the crime of drug smuggling is worthy of execution, no crime is. Its not the stone age, things have moved on.

Obviously not in Indonesia,

The only reason this story has made the news is because two of the smugglers were Australian. Had they all been from Indonesia (or pretty much anywhere else for that matter) we wouldn't be discussing it.

Each to there own mate, you have your opinion ( which I respect)and I have mine

Atb

Flynny

As i respect yours, always good to have an ethical debate though :good:

Obviously not in Indonesia,

The only reason this story has made the news is because two of the smugglers were Australian. Had they all been from Indonesia (or pretty much anywhere else for that matter) we wouldn't be discussing it.

Sad but its true, seems like people on care when a white person dies.

So would you have the same views if they moved in next door to you then ????

http://news.sky.com/story/1473963/eight-drug-prisoners-executed-by-firing-squad

Should they have been executed, did they know the risks, will it have a deterrent effect?

What is the right way to handle this type of thing?

No, I fundamentally disagree with death penalties

Yes, probably, the same way someone knows the high risks of speeding, but they (and I'm sure many on here) still do it from time to time.

No, money will blind many people to the risk.

I don't think anyone has the answer to the last question.

So would you have the same views if they moved in next door to you then ????

I find it unlikely that would happen if somebody brutally murdered my family...

However, if it happened i would move, the guy has served his time. I appreciate that not everybody shares my views, but i don't believe that capital punishment works as a deterrent in any way.

Mr Sheen - I admire your capacity for not letting facts cloud the issue. I agree with the right of Indonesia to pass their own laws and implement them.

I cannot condemn them, as you do, because it is not our business.

The answer is to commit that type of crime in a country where they give you a stiff warning on cardboard. Committing the crime in a country with a death penalty is stupid. They paid the price of criminality and stupidity.

I am a bit torn on the death penalty, but admit that any sense of perceived disagreement with it diminishes with the severity of the crime; which suggests my ethics are built on shaky foundations.

Not withstanding the above the rule in that part of the world is what it is so if they breaks the rules then they has to face the music.

My irritation is when our 'advanced' democratic countries believe that they should have some sort of implied rights to over rule local law because it is our citizens involved. As though our self appointed sense of sophistication and civility makes us more important.

The flag of nationality worn by a scoundrel makes no difference, when they live outside the rule of law then they lose privilege.

If they don't want to play by them rules then don't play the game.

So yes, yes, probably not and there isn't an answer, or at least not without making a whole scale change elsewhere and that is not in the control of anyone.