Rifle choice in .22lr and .17hmr

Outdoorsman

I know its probably been done a million times but here it is again, which rifle to get in either cal for best accuracy, money not an issue, there seems to be a lot of choice diffrent makes models barrel lengths etc ive shot with an old anschutz in 22lr and a cz in 17hmr both to good effect but no real range time or accuracy test, so please any one with any advise please feel free

I have had a CZ 452 Varmint .17 HMR with a 16 inch barrel for about ten years. It is still as accurate as ever. This was the blog of my outing on Tuesday. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/spring-cleaning-with-the-cz452-varmint-hmr/ Most of these shots were taken prone with a Harris bipod, although one of these rabbits was shot to hand, due to it just bobbing out in front of me. The first shot was around 140 yards away, hitting just in front of the ear. I have only ever used a bore snake to clean the barrel, after each outing.

I defy anyone to show an Anschutz to be more accurate than a CZ in the field gun area.

There is no need to spend Anschutz money on that front, nor for reliability or repeatability etc.

If you want to then do it, some suggest the Anschutz looks better or feels better or is better made, if that is what you think and are prepared to spend Anschutz money then fine again, but don't fool yourself there is any practical need/benefit over a CZ.

I cut my teeth on Anschutz target rifles in the late 60's early 70's, what a breath of fresh air, a joy to shoot, but I use CZ in the field, I have absolutely no need of an Anschutz for field work.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Stop worrying about accuracy, assuming you are not heading for the Olympics.

Pretty much any rifle that you purchase in .22lr or hmr will have the potential to me more accurate than your ability.

They do, however, vary in quality of manufacture. My Anschutz is better built than my CZ. But it is of little consequence in terms of practical shooting.

You do need to think about barrel length, short is more convenient and no less accurate. Is the bolt smooth? Trigger pull? (trigger kit for CZ is cheap simple and good) What about scope choice and fitting? Moderator? Balance? Bipod / Sling mounts?

Weight is a consideration and most significantly how the gun feels to you, is it comfortable? and there is also that subtle thing called 'ego' or 'pride' in how the gun looks.

Particularly if new, be really anal about cleaning, rod and patches, maintain that perfect barrel. Find which ammunition suits it best (particularly if .22lr).

They will all perform well, look around, make your choice and enjoy shooting.

Well thanks for the replys everyone, the anschutz was only in the running because the only video i have seen of any hmr shooting a 1/2 inch group at 100yds was from an anschutz and ive seen a similar group from the 22lr anschutz aswell, what are peoples views on the savage, brownin t bolt, ruger's ??

Well thanks for the replys everyone, the anschutz was only in the running because the only video i have seen of any hmr shooting a 1/2 inch group at 100yds was from an anschutz and ive seen a similar group from the 22lr anschutz aswell, what are peoples views on the savage, brownin t bolt, ruger's ??

They are all good, but for out of the box reliability, accuracy and value for money, it's CZ for me.

If you have the budget, and the wish for a pretty rifle, go for it, your choice completely.

My rifles get 'well used', so coverting something isn't for me.

They'll all do the job.

Good luck

I've got a CZ452 16" Varmint sat in a Boyds Thumbhole stock for sale, absolute tack driver complete with a Third Eye Tactical moderator, trigger done the day I bought it. PM me if you're interested - collection only.

post-20848-0-53668000-1430632380_thumb.jpg

I make no excuses, I bottled out of the 5th shot after seeing those! :lol:

post-20848-0-78678200-1430632347_thumb.jpg

The cheap humble CZ HMR. :good:

Edited by Dekers

Hi

Very good shooting dekers

Cz very good guns had a few

Although now I've gon the other way from the recomendation of many I find for my type of shooting a longer heavy barrel is better

Just my choice

All the best

Of

:good: It doesn't happen like that every day unfortunately! :lol:

Edited by Dekers

Nice shooting deker's what range was that 100yrds?, it seems the cz is a capable gun i might aswell just go for one of them, i think ill go for the heavyer longer barrel aswell

Yep and .......

:good: It doesn't happen like that every day unfortunately! :lol:

We all have good and bad days, that was a good one, but even on a bad day I would expect to keep a HMR inside 1".

...and as I believe someone else mentioned, you need to get it into your head that almost any gun you buy will be capable of shooting better than you.

If your sole consideration is accuracy you will end up with a dedicated target rifle 6' long and weighing 20lb!

ATB! :good:

PS, what is leading you to a heavy barrel?

Edited by Dekers

Heavy barrel for looks and i find it easyer to shoot off hand with a little bit of weight in the gun the cz ive shot before was the standard and it is really light, ill make a bold statement here and say im probably far better than the average shooter, but as you say the ballistic capability of the hmr is very good

I have had CZ, Browning and now I have both calibres in the Anschutz, other than the Browning's well known poor trigger they are all very usable and they all shoot great. Indeed at Catton today Wharfrat who bought my CZ455 outshot me and my Anschutz Deluxe HMR at the long range discs. :no: Why did I let him have the 455, I don't bloody well know :lol: .