Verge Cutting - Don't you just hate it?

norfolk dumpling

In in Sth Norfolk mid-way between Brooke and Loddon. There are several damaged signs within a couple of. Iles of my house. Some of the damage does go back a bit - the one 20ft from my driveway has been damaged for 3/4 years - but there are a couple damaged this season. I agree there is the need to cut back vegitation near junctions and on some bends but I still think the perception of narrowing caused by the extra plant life actually slows traffic and how much wildlife is destroyed?

All of us working where I was last year wouldn't knowingly hit a nesting bird and would lift over a nest if we saw it.

That is a moot point, it is illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to cause disturbance to any bird while on or building a nest so 'lifting the arm over it' would not be much of a defence :no:

That is a moot point, it is illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to cause disturbance to any bird while on or building a nest so 'lifting the arm over it' would not be much of a defence :no:

how else is he supposed to cut the hedge then?

there are dates before and after they are supposed to comply with for hedgecutting,

they use the get out thats its for safety,

Yep, and its B*******

Everyone on here tries to make out that farmers are the salt of the land, its all tripe.

They are out to make as much money from the land as they can and the wildlife can go stuff itself.

Used to be farms had ponds, but to scrape an extra few pence that was done away with in favour of troughs.

Too many paranoid people on here thinking the FEO and their landowner are reading, as if they care!!

Local council round here destroyed a historic hedgerow and have reduced another to less than a foot thick in places. Cut so often there is no berries and no chance for birds to nest! They use a JCB with flail instead of sending a couple of guys with a trimmer. The flail just rips the hedge to pieces. Lazy *****.

Yep, and its B*******

Everyone on here tries to make out that farmers are the salt of the land, its all tripe.

They are out to make as much money from the land as they can and the wildlife can go stuff itself.

Used to be farms had ponds, but to scrape an extra few pence that was done away with in favour of troughs.

Too many paranoid people on here thinking the FEO and their landowner are reading, as if they care!!

That isn't true.

A strange rant on a site that is about what exactly? People with guns shooting wildlife, mostly on land owned by farmers.

Yep bit of a strange rant....I know a lot of farmers who are trying to undo the work of their fathers generation, by planting new hedges, leaving set aside, beetle banks, field margins and allowing previously scalped hedges to regrow and recover

Yep, and its B*******

You obviously know nothing of real life farming now.

Not many on here would have any shooting if it wasn't for them. I farm on a small scale, but shoot on a bigger one (thanks to farmers) Who incidentally this time of year start at 4.30am and sometimes finish after midnight. I wouldn't like their hours,

I'm not going to get into an argument with you, so spout what you like I shan't reply.

You obviously know nothing of real life farming now.

Not many on here would have any shooting if it wasn't for them. I farm on a small scale, but shoot on a bigger one (thanks to farmers) Who incidentally this time of year start at 4.30am and sometimes finish after midnight. I wouldn't like their hours,

I'm not going to get into an argument with you, so spout what you like I shan't reply.

Not spouting anything.

Give me one good reason why hedges need to be cut when birds are likely to be nesting,

Real life farming?

Why do you feel the need to cut hedges at all?

Not me that doesn't understand the real world methinks!

From what I see, farmers have turned beautiful countryside to green deserts to make as much money as possible.

Margins left when you were paid for it, gone when the money ran out.

Don't try to pretend you care.

Edited by 955i

Not spouting anything.

Give me one good reason why hedges need to be cut when birds are likely to be nesting,

Real life farming?

Why do you feel the need to cut hedges at all?

Not me that doesn't understand the real world methinks!

From what I see, farmers have turned beautiful countryside to green deserts to make as much money as possible.

Margins left when you were paid for it, gone when the money ran out.

Don't try to pretend you care.

The second most ridiculous post on pigeon watch.

Yep, and its B*******

The first.

As an agricultural contractor in the late 60 and 70s I was paid to grub up hedges 20/30yrs later I was paid to plant them, Agriculture is about producing food fore-most, which it does quite well, When people are prepared to pay a premium for more environmentally sustainable crops then agriculture will supply it, there has been many mistakes in my lifetime connected with the environment usually perpetrated because of government initiatives. I dont remember a single farmer intentionally destroying the land that he and his off spring are dependant on for a living to make a fast buck, nor come to that a proper fisherman, happily nature will quickly rectify most of the damage man can do, just as soon as we stop doing it :)

There are some rather strange rants - why should I "..sod off to the city" when what I'm concerned about is another little bit of countryside destruction and needless damage to road signs. I was sort of hoping for constructive comments/observations from the wise, intelligent and the caring but of course we have all types on PW don't we??