Bird idenfication

Hello! Been shooting on peas this evening. Seen a bird, don't know what kind. (My limited knowledge) can anyone guess what it is, pls from description. Had a tuft, smaller than a woodpigeon, stomach feathers white, back dark, tail feathers also white at the middle. Landed on peas next to my decoys.

Identification. Sorry. Can Mr. Mod correct title, pls?

Londonercsecse

Appreciating that you have, and admit to, a very limited knowledge of bird identification, please, please make sure that you can tell the difference between a wood pigeon and a stock dove. The latter being protected and its shooting could get you in hot water, not to mention bringing the shooting community into yet more bad press should the antis get wind of such an act.

Dear Decoyer! I know those too. Also not a wood pigeon, no shooting. My farmer wants the wood pigeons gone only. So, shooting thoose only. Not sure, not shooting. But thx for advice.

Buy yourself a bird book ,and read it ,lapwing is one of the easiest recognised birds,call,flight,colour,unmistakeable

Buy yourself a bird book ,and read it ,lapwing is one of the easiest recognised birds,call,flight,colour,unmistakeable

I dont think there are any laws saying you need to know thw identification of every british bird is there ?

If required I can send over the BASC Pigeon Identification pictures I use at the BASC Introduction to Pigeon Shooting Courses.

Then at least Londonercsecsce will be sure to know what is what when he is out on the Pigeons if that helps.

Knowing all birds is a little over the top,

I dont think there are any laws saying you need to know thw identification of every british bird is there ?

+1

You can identify a woodpigeon without knowing every other species.

I'm pretty good with bird identification but I still don't recognise every bird I see, and if I don't know I ask. (Without wanting to hijack this thread, I did see a strange bird on the weekend. Its size and shape was that of a young crow but it flew very differently, more like a falcon with shallow wing beats, it appeared to be jinking and stalling as though feeding on the wing - and it wasn't windy so not 'playing'. I have no idea what it was at all?)

:good:

+1

I'm pretty good with bird identification but I still don't recognise every bird I see, and if I don't know I ask. (Without wanting to hijack this thread, I did see a strange bird on the weekend. Its size and shape was that of a young crow but it flew very differently, more like a falcon with shallow wing beats, it appeared to be jinking and stalling as though feeding on the wing - and it wasn't windy so not 'playing'. I have no idea what it was at all?)

Spot on , if you know 100% what you can shoot then you know 100% what you cannot :good:

Dear Decoyer! I know those too. Also not a wood pigeon, no shooting. My farmer wants the wood pigeons gone only. So, shooting those only. Not sure, not shooting. But thx for advice.

I am pleased that you can tell a stock dove from a wood pigeon and if in doubt you do not shoot. A very good starting point.

Also that you are not afraid to ask.

Good advice given on this forum regarding getting a bird book which would enable you to look up any unidentified species and so enhance your enjoyment of being in the countryside, but as has also been said, it is not totally necessary to be able to recognise all birds and I for one am often referring to my bird books for such identification.

Whilst, none of us wish to end up like the Bill Oddies or Chris Packhams of this world (perish the thought) but knowledge of other birds and wildlife all adds to the enjoyment of being out there.

As can be seen from the very knowledgeable subscribers (excluding me) and the subjects covered by this forum, it is not just about shooting pigeons but enjoying all aspects of nature and the countryside.

Just get out there and enjoy it all.

+1

That sounds like a Hobby catching dragonflies and stalling as it transfers them from beak to talons and vice versa.

No laws, but any information on what you might encounter on a days shooting can only help,ie you see a bird out of the corner of your eye swing the gun oh its a lapwing ,or closer to a pigeon,cuckoo ,male sparrow hawk,stock dove.etc just trying to help.

Thought these may be useful

&&0

Don't forget the STOCK DOVE! Isn't that the one we have the most problems with???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_dove

The ROCK dove is usually found near the coast (100 miles for me!): No cliffs either!

The rock dove has a restricted natural resident range in western and southern Europe, North Africa, and into South Asia. The rock dove is often found in pairs in the breeding season but is usually gregarious.[4] The species (including ferals) has a large range, with an estimated global extent of occurrence of 10,000,000 km2 (3,900,000 sq mi). It has a large global population, including an estimated 17–28 million individuals in Europe.[1] Fossil evidence suggests the rock dove originated in southern Asia and skeletal remains unearthed in Israel confirm their existence there for at least three hundred thousand years.[5] However, this species has such a long history with humans that it is impossible to tell exactly where the species' original range was.[6] Its habitat is natural cliffs, usually on coasts

Cheers,

KR

Edited by kitchrat

Don't forget the STOCK DOVE! Isn't that the one we have the most problems with???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_dove

The ROCK dove is usually found near the coast (100 miles for me!): No cliffs either!

The rock dove has a restricted natural resident range in western and southern Europe, North Africa, and into South Asia. The rock dove is often found in pairs in the breeding season but is usually gregarious.[4] The species (including ferals) has a large range, with an estimated global extent of occurrence of 10,000,000 km2 (3,900,000 sq mi). It has a large global population, including an estimated 17–28 million individuals in Europe.[1] Fossil evidence suggests the rock dove originated in southern Asia and skeletal remains unearthed in Israel confirm their existence there for at least three hundred thousand years.[5] However, this species has such a long history with humans that it is impossible to tell exactly where the species' original range was.[6] Its habitat is natural cliffs, usually on coasts

Cheers,

KR

Stock Dove is on there