Benelli 828u

CaptC

Has anyone seen one of these -

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Benelli_Shotgun_828U_For-Sale_150311155707001

(I'm not advertising for Guntrader, just showing the gun!)

The Colonialists seem to rave about them but I cannot find a gun review from the UK possibly as the 882u was only introduced this year?

Options of 26" or 28" barrels (which are interchangeable) but alas, not in 30".

For the price (about £1700) they appear to be a bargain if a somewhat quirky one! Browning tried hard the the Cynergy which became known as the Marmite gun for obvious reasons.

If anyone owns one, has fired one or handled one please let me know --

Thanks

ive not read any reviews, and to be honest ive had issues with benelli so will never buy one again but i have to admit its one sexy gun... its great to see gun makers who are not afraid to ignore the traditions sourounding gun design and come out with something as striking

Interesting that a303 read the negative reviews and I read the positive ones! (Chuck Hawks was one severe critic who lambasted the gun)

It looks to me (someone who only used an over and under recently!) as kiffy says - a sexy looking gun - also described as looking like a Formula 1 gun.

Shot one at a shotshow here in Sweden, 2-3 weeks ago.

Well balanced, light weight and looks pretty nice. Recoil wasn't bad either, way better than the Beretta Ultralight i had.

Almost a self opener, due to the fact that the toplever cocks the hammers. Would have bought one if i wasn't waiting for a J W Tolley 2" lightweight...

My brother ordered the new Benelli the day after the show tho, and he whas not the only one, they took up 7-8 preorders in just a few hours, pretty much a third of those who tried it(small show).

/Baner

Edited by Baner

Shot one at a shotshow here in Sweden, 2-3 weeks ago.

Well balanced, light weight and looks pretty nice. Recoil wasn't bad either, way better than the Beretta Ultralight i had.

Almost a self opener, due to the fact that the toplever cocks the hammers. Would have bought one if i wasn't waiting for J W Tolley 2" lightweight...

My brother ordered the new Benelli the day after the show tho, and he whas not the only one, they took up 7-8 preorders in just a few hours, pretty much a third of those who tried it(small show).

/Baner

Thanks Baner = The temptation to buy one is increasing!!

I have an AA Brown boxlock ejector that I need to sell!

I do look forward to seeing one in the flesh, it is bit of an oddity.

Not sure how resale values will hold out with it been a bit 'interesting' or want of a better word. Maybe should have used 'different'

I've had a Benelli and it was spot on.

I hope it does well, as I am a Benelli fan but personally I think it'll be very much like Browning Cynergys, a love it or loathe it gun due to the modernist design.

I wonder if Benelli will be following it up with a suitably weighted sporter in the future?

And let's be fair, when do you ever see a bad review of a new gun from a large manufacturer?!?

Edited by a303

I do look forward to seeing one in the flesh, it is bit of an oddity.

Not sure how resale values will hold out with it been a bit 'interesting' or want of a better word. Maybe should have used 'different'

I've had a Benelli and it was spot on.

I hope it does well, as I am a Benelli fan but personally I think it'll be very much like Browning Cynergys, a love it or loathe it gun due to the modernist design.

I wonder if Benelli will be following it up with a suitably weighted sporter in the future?

And let's be fair, when do you ever see a bad review of a new gun from a large manufacturer?!?

Well said re reviews! I have never read a bad one - a tad mediocre yes and I'm sure the reviewers must have some sort of "kick back" if you will forgive the pun!

The Benelli, like the Cynergy is an "oddity" and as you rightly say will reflect on resale values. Finding a second hand one will be difficult as they are quite scarce but significant savings can be made!

I'm fairly sure that it will do well on the market, and resell value is hard to guess on, probably gona be quite good becuse you can get it to fit most body types with ease. 40-50 different settings on the stock alone, lenght, cast and drop. And you don't need a gunsmith or stocker to do it.

/Baner

I'm fairly sure that it will do well on the market, and resell value is hard to guess on, probably gona be quite good becuse you can get it to fit most body types with ease. 40-50 different settings on the stock alone, lenght, cast and drop. And you don't need a gunsmith or stocker to do it.

/Baner

I read about the adjustments possible but with my skills it would end up facing the wrong way! The only thing that puts me off are the 28" barrels as I like 30's - We have very high birds!!!

I read about the adjustments possible but with my skills it would end up facing the wrong way! The only thing that puts me off are the 28" barrels as I like 30's - We have very high birds!!!

Forgive my ignorance but does longer barrels increase range then? Oris it so u swing better. Ive always chosen barrel length on how the gun feels to me rather than it doing a better job Edited by Jay_Russell

Forgive my ignorance but does longer barrels increase range then? Oris it so u swing better. Ive always chosen barrel length on how the gun feels to me rather than it doing a better job

The trend a few years ago was for short barrels - in the 20/30's Churchill 25 inch guns were the ones to buy - Even into the 80's barrels of 27 and 28 inch were the norm. Longer barrels came to be fashionable due to higher birds being presented. Press pundits advocated 30" then 32" and even 34" (a scaffold pole to some) Range increases but not by a lot - mobile chokes help considerably. I have shot with Guns using 32" 12 bores firing 36 gram loads and still not hitting as many as a standard 12 bore load!

32" in twenty bore seems very trendy at the moment but, as they say "what goes round comes around" so no doubt 25" will be resurrected?

A bit off topic I'm aftraid!

Forgive my ignorance but does longer barrels increase range then?

Yes they do. With 30" barrels the muzzles are 2" closer to the target than with 28". But seriously though, range for any given shell load is determined by the choking not the barrel length.

Yes they do. With 30" barrels the muzzles are 2" closer to the target than with 28". But seriously though, range for any given shell load is determined by the choking not the barrel length.

Spot on! In the Victorian/Edwardian days of black powder the barrels were made longer to allow for the expansion of the black powder which was slower burning than nitro powders. Hence the start of long barrels.

Many game guns with 30" barrels had very little choke - imperial cylinder and quarter choke being popular. Times and technology changed all that!

• 1 year later...

Hi all my friends i am new on this forum yes i have 828u silver well balanced gun i am not fan over and under i am side by side man i have many side by side game guns but yes this gun tuk my Hart i been to get some amo 4 my 300vn John nibbs int poul offers me to try few shells and after i got it very nice gun went in garland 500 shls great gun this year i am going to shoot with it cheers

• 6 months later...

Hope this thread aint dead....

I recently bought a Benelli 828U after handling one at a clay shoot last year.

For clays and game I've always used Browning and Beretta's over/unders and briefly used a Perazzi MX2000s but always had a semi-auto for pigeons and sometimes clays, it's a Beretta 302 for which in the late 80's I made my own shims to alter cast and comb height and some new autos now come with the means to get the perfect 'gun-fit'.

Which was what attracted me to the 828, I chose a 28" barrelled version (there is now also 26" and 30") because it gives the same overall length as my semi-auto and I have set up the cast and comb height exactly the same as the auto.

Also I have added some weight to the stock void and I am very pleased with this new gun, I intend to use it for everything !!

I've fired about 200 cartridges with good results in the field and at clay targets.

It handles better than the Perazzi and overall is equal to the 302 - I think I'm gonna stick with it :-)