Hermes Parcel Service are a Joke!!!

m3vert

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 mates that work for them, have large vans and earn a hell of a lot, iirc one mentioned £36k last year.

It's about 60p a parcel here, around 150 on an average day, you talk fuel, but he puts about £30 a week in as they have small areas and the drops are concentrated. They also get about £4 per large/heavy parcel, which are not actually large or heavy at all and they get a lot of them!

Starts work about 6 in the morning and done for 1-2ish

If you're willing to do it right it's a good living and shouldn't be frowned upon and folks should be careful of labeling them stupid, benefits cheats etc, but yeah, I've been to the depot with him before and most drivers are a right shower of **** ;p

Forgive me for saying so but those figures don`t really add up in my experience. Most multi-drop drivers are expected to do around 60-65 drops per 8 hour working day. That means around 8 drops per hour which is easily achievable. At the numbers you`re suggesting a driver would have to be making close to 20 drops p/h or a drop approximately every 3 minutes. I`m not saying that`s impossible but the area and drops would have to be highly concentrated. I think the most I`ve managed is 16 in an hour and that is in a small area and as all the customers are regulars I know every single address.

Yeah, they do about a drop every 3-4 minutes, terrace rows and all that, I've been out with them and they are organised and rapid. But to do that you get a single knock, no answer withing 20 secs and it gets left or back on the van, it'll always go in the gun as left in porch as its the easiest to input quickly, it don't matter if its gone over the fence or left in the back of your truck!

8 drops an hour!!! No wonder most companies charge so much, hell I could crawl using my teeth and do better than that!

Lowstandards so what happens if a rather expensive Go-Pro gets lifted from my doorstep when the delivery guy has said "in porch" and I report it stolen? Is he in the carp or does nothing happen?? I am interested because I am thinking if he suffers financially from taking risks like that he wouldn't do it??

I have no idea to be honest

It's never come up in conversation, most stuff seems to be catalogue type stuff as far as I can tell.

I'm guessing if you are stupid enough to buy a gopro, you are stupid enough to go through DPD or royal mail?

I know folk have reported things missing but a quick visit later things seem to turn up.

I'm not in the business,but like I said, some good friends are and they do very well, but the amount they have to do means they will chuck things over a fence etc, its just if they have the brains to make sure its a parcel from next and not something rattly or insured (the gun they carry gives them all the info on parcel type, depends if some bother to look!)

I have no idea to be honest

It's never come up in conversation, most stuff seems to be catalogue type stuff as far as I can tell.

I'm guessing if you are stupid enough to buy a gopro, you are stupid enough to go through DPD or royal mail?

I know folk have reported things missing but a quick visit later things seem to turn up.

I'm not in the business,but like I said, some good friends are and they do very well, but the amount they have to do means they will chuck things over a fence etc, its just if they have the brains to make sure its a parcel from next and not something rattly or insured (the gun they carry gives them all the info on parcel type, depends if some bother to look!)

If I am stupid enough to buy a go-pro? *** is that all about?

Keep delivering the parcels!!

LOL Folk who know no better! You clearly know me so well mate (sarcasm) I have my own photography company!! Please link me to a superior product that ticks all the boxes the go-pro does and produces professional quality video, for less money. I await your superior knowledge of such items.

Funnily enough I had a Hermes delivery yesterday. I went out for half an hour and when I got back the parcel was by my back door - ON THE INSIDE! Granted I shouldn't have left the back door unlocked but that, in my book, is a liberty. It was warm and dry and there was another package left by yodel outside the back door.

I locked the door today though.

LOL Folk who know no better! You clearly know me so well mate (sarcasm) I have my own photography company!! Please link me to a superior product that ticks all the boxes the go-pro does and produces professional quality video, for less money. I await your superior knowledge of such items.

It appears many professionals and production companies are clueless and have been hoodwinked by those crafty gopro feinds.

I have the same problem with Nikon fooling me into buying their gear when all I need is a smartphone....

It appears many professionals and production companies are clueless and have been hoodwinked by those crafty gopro feinds.

I have the same problem with Nikon fooling me into buying their gear when all I need is a smartphone....

LOL I hear what you are saying ;-) I'm in the other camp and Canon seem to have fooled me into 1 series bodies when it seems I should have just bought a cheap iPhone6 (plus of course) :lol:

I really do await to see what action camera capable of TV quality production he suggests that's every bit as good! You know good enough for Top Gear, Deadliest Catch, Discovery etc!!! Should be interesting! :whistling::whistling:

You'll not the bit where I said joke, and also the word sarcasm!

They are alright, if you want a house brick bolted to your head! They are MAINLY used by bearded hipsters on snowboarding trips to Andora for the sole reason they are 'cool'

You know the sort, the 116d m sport driving twunts...

I've used one, it was fine, I prefer my Mobius or contour, I can use them without a neck brace

Again, this is sarcasm... I prefer Pentax over Nikon or Canon, maybe you can be a **** about that to?

Edited by LowStandards

When HERMES first started delivering yo me, they were almost as bad as YODEL. Now however, have a couple of good people delivering, and if I'm not in they put it in the shed OUT of the rain, and leave a note on the door. Same with my postman.

YODEL, now that's a word for ****. 99% of what I get from YODEL has been opened, bits stolen, broken, or just doesn't arrive at all.

That said, when it gets to within 6 weeks of Christmas, and 3-4 weeks after, then it's the same as that with ALL carriers and couriers, including Royal Mail. Seems all the "seasonal helpers" help themselves :(

Again, this is sarcasm... I prefer Pentax over Nikon or Canon, maybe you can be a **** about that to?

If the starred out word is dude, then hell yes. Me and my snowboard-wearing 116d M Sport will crush your puny Pentax with pure beard power alone.

I have none of those things.

Love this. I have worked for them in the past. How they survive is beyond me. There are good people there, but the failure rates are very high. Sending with them is like playing Russian roulette with your parcel. As has effectively been said, they seem to represent all that is bad about current employment conditions in the UK. I can't help thinking that the same forces are the ones that mean I can buy 4 pints of milk for 88p - but at what cost?

You'll not the bit where I said joke, and also the word sarcasm!

They are alright, if you want a house brick bolted to your head! They are MAINLY used by bearded hipsters on snowboarding trips to Andora for the sole reason they are 'cool'

You know the sort, the 116d m sport driving twunts...

I've used one, it was fine, I prefer my Mobius or contour, I can use them without a neck brace

Who said I was wanting it for my head? By the way my beards rubbish, I can't snow board and sadly I don't own a 116d, I am thinking I better sell this damned Go-Pro?

Mobius or Countour mmmm Nah no thanks!

I am happy to oblige. A guy with a Pentax (they still make cameras?) trying to give me advice on cameras, now that's the funniest thing you've typed so far!!!! (SARCASM)

If the starred out word is dude, then hell yes. Me and my snowboard-wearing 116d M Sport will crush your puny Pentax with pure beard power alone.

I have none of those things.

:lol::good:

Love this. I have worked for them in the past. How they survive is beyond me. There are good people there, but the failure rates are very high. Sending with them is like playing Russian roulette with your parcel. As has effectively been said, they seem to represent all that is bad about current employment conditions in the UK. I can't help thinking that the same forces are the ones that mean I can buy 4 pints of milk for 88p - but at what cost?

So getting back to my earlier question, since you worked with them, what happens to the delivery guy/girl if he lies about where he has put it and it then goes missing?? Cheers.

Who said I was wanting it for my head? By the way my beards rubbish, I can't snow board and sadly I don't own a 116d, I am thinking I better sell this damned Go-Pro?

Mobius or Countour mmmm Nah no thanks!

I am happy to oblige. A guy with a Pentax (they still make cameras?) trying to give me advice on cameras, now that's the funniest thing you've typed so far!!!! (SARCASM)

At what point have I tried to give you advice kid?

I made a funny, you did the classic 'guy who owns something so it must be awesome' answer, so I carried on taking the ****

My Pentax is a K1000 if you must know, an early Japan model, lovely thing...

My beard on the other hand is pretty awesome, it's groomed, not bushy. I can snowboard, no honest I actually can. Alas I dont own a diesel bmw...

On topic I'll ask my mate what happens when uup themselves people claim the must have gadget hasn't been delivered... Bear with me

Right:

Courier would get a stern word and if it kept happening they would be let go.

This is all of course farcical as anything of value would need to be signed for.

I also checked the website and if you don't pay extra, you only get upto £50 insurance, you have to prove the value of what's in it and they don't cover pretty much anything!

Right:

This is all of course farcical as anything of value would need to be signed for.

I also checked the website and if you don't pay extra, you only get upto £50 insurance, you have to prove the value of what's in it and they don't cover pretty much anything!

At last a non sarcastic response. Thanks ;-)

But Kid?? really lol

Ah a camera from an era when Pentax could make cameras ;-)

You need to work on the humor though, your probably better at beard grooming and snow boarding than cracking funnies.

:lol::good:

So getting back to my earlier question, since you worked with them, what happens to the delivery guy/girl if he lies about where he has put it and it then goes missing?? Cheers.

Not having been a delivery person I can't answer your question. However, parcels that were damaged in the warehouse or on the vehicles delivering to the 'couriers' were left in a large pile in a corner of the warehouse. I can say that it appeared to me that in the rush to deal with the nightly avalanche of packages, any care for such 'quality control' seemed to be relatively (to my previous experience) non-existent. The high failure rate seemed to be accepted. Extending this further, it may be that the clients (sending you the Go-Pro) also accepted the failure rate in return for the low cost of delivery generally. I can't think of another explanation.

Right:

Some years back, when I was sending out relatively high value items, I checked with several carriers regarding loss of parcels. It appears, or did, that even with signed for the small print just says A signature is required, not necessarily the recipients signature.

This of course means the delivery person can scrawl any signature on it and all is fine from the carriers point of view.

The only carrier that required the recipients signature along with ID was Group4 Nightspeed, who were prohibitively expensive, and now gone I think.

There is another problem that people havent mentioned and thats local knowledge. I am currently sitting in Pinner NW London. In the heart of the sprawling London suburbs. To my knowledge within a couple of miles radius of where I am there are three roads called the Chase, two The Avenues, two Francis Roads, two Byron Roads and there is Greenway and The Greenway. Probably a lot more I don't know about.

When they are chucking these parcels over the gate, are they even in the right street? A professional postman or courier should know but a casual deliverer in their own car is probably not even aware. It would take too long to put every postcode into a satnav

Well never had a problem with them till this morning sat listening to radio, ( car parked on drive good indication that I'm home.) :sad1:

I hear the postbox flap rattle on the front door something been shoved in at about 8 .30.am thought it was another

charity bag we get at least 3 per day round this area.. :sad1:

9.30am went into the front bedroom to do some reloading sticking out the post box was a card from hermes stating this was the first attempt to deliver and would be back

on Monday..

They did not ring the door bell or knock on the door they must think you are mind readers to know they are on your door step..

Well most likely get another one Monday as i have arranged to go crow shooting at 6.30 am on a new free range pig farm thats getting hammered by crows... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

and I'm not giving that up...

Herpes consistently cannot even find the hospital at which I work so have given up on them . No explanation . I just do not get the item . Apparently they get 40p per delivery so if it involves any effort they will just keep hold and return to sender.