Another one in possession of illegally held firearms.

Scully

Mate has just been on phone to tell me he has just phoned licensing as his tickets expire today. He was told 'You'll be alright to carry on using your guns Mr *****. He's (FEO) been on holiday and is now playing catchup. He'll probably get round to you next week and issue you a S7 permit.'

So that's ok then. :)

Phone back no it's not alright if they don't issue a S7 ASAP he'll have to lodge them at an RFD and the bill will be sent to the licensing team as per BASCs advice. Normal renewal or S7 follows very fast.

PS last renewal my wife's RFD was very expensive for her shotgun 😇

Edited by welshwarrior

Phone back no it's not alright if they don't issue a S7 ASAP he'll have to lodge them at an RFD and the bill will be sent to the licensing team as per BASCs advice. Normal renewal or S7 follows very fast.

Quite agree. I told him all this, and that he should have asked for the 'You'll be alright.....' etc etc in writing, and see how 'alright' it was then.

It's not like Cumbria, I have to admit; they're usually very much on the ball.

Just to be clear, has he got his renewal application in? If so he is OK.

If they have not sent the forms out in good he ought to of enquired (rich coming from me, being forgetful).

He sent his renewal forms back in good time, but now his current license has expired he is, according to a BASC solicitor, if I remember correctly, in illegal possession of his own firearms.

Hmmm, well I have been in that situation every renewal and not ended up in clink.

I do soon request a temp licence and well I never the real McCoy appears!

How strange that your completed licence turns up just after you request a S7 :lol:

Hmmm, well I have been in that situation every renewal and not ended up in clink.

I do soon request a temp licence and well I never the real McCoy appears!

Indeed, I don't think it would ever come to that.

Mate is also hoping that the thought of issuing a S7 will spur them on a bit.

At the present time Kent firearms dept are not taking external phone calls at all. You can leave a voicemail or an email. I left a voicemail and haven't had a callback in over a week. in the end I contacted a feo that covers this area and he said that they were overloaded. They do most of the certs in this five year cycle within this year. I suppose that it is historic back to changes due to Hungerford and Dunblane

My fac runs out out in 2 weeks with west Mercia, told me there is a 16 week wait for renewals, told me as sent it back in good time for renewal I didn't need a s7 as its there fault and they wouldn't prosecute for me having firearms without a license, after repeating the same question about having them illegally as my license would of expired, they said they would issue a s7 but not until my license had completely expired 😐

My fac runs out out in 2 weeks with west Mercia, told me there is a 16 week wait for renewals, told me as sent it back in good time for renewal I didn't need a s7 as its there fault and they wouldn't prosecute for me having firearms without a license, after repeating the same question about having them illegally as my license would of expired, they said they would issue a s7 but not until my license had completely expired 😐

Make sure you chase them up just before as they will use second class post and you need it!!! They can't give authority not to worry about it the law says you need it!!

just because the same fools that issue the license late are the ones that will be prosecuting for unlawfully held firearms DO NOT ASSUME IT WONT HAPPEN

just because you have a renewal in DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE COVERED

They have effectively failed in their duty to issue a valid license and by default forced you into a criminal situation

INSIST on either a temporary certificate or an amended FAC

what happens if you cross a border or county boundary and are caught with illegally held firearms by a Police authority with nothing better to do than make you life a misery?

think they will give a toss if you may have proof of sending in a renewal?

INSIST

renewals take hours to process, not months

My fac runs out out in 2 weeks with west Mercia, told me there is a 16 week wait for renewals, told me as sent it back in good time for renewal I didn't need a s7 as its there fault and they wouldn't prosecute for me having firearms without a license, after repeating the same question about having them illegally as my license would of expired, they said they would issue a s7 but not until my license had completely expired

Credit where its due - West Mercia sent me my shotgun renewal in good time (about 8 weeks before due). I sent it back in a few days - and received the renewed certificate about a week before the old expired (April this year) - so from me - a well done and thank you.

Guest topshot_2k

Im in the same position, both of mine expire in the next couple of weeks. Rang the firearms dept to be told my license has renewed on the system to 2020 yet due to backlog wont get a home visit or new paper license until they catch up which is likely to be after expiry. They say I wont comitting an offense but obviously cant buy ammo or transfer guns, is this correct? Surely If i got stopped and provided an expired certificate the police would check the system online and see the new one has been issued and expires in 2020?

Edited by topshot_2k

Im in the same position, both of mine expire in the next couple of weeks. Rang the firearms dept to be told my license has renewed on the system to 2020 yet due to backlog wont get a home visit or new paper license until they catch up which is likely to be after expiry. They say I wont comitting an offense but obviously cant buy ammo or transfer guns, is this correct? Surely If i got stopped and provided an expired certificate the police would check the system online and see the new one has been issued and expires in 2020?

Haven't heard that one before, but like my mate ( except he doesn't have a certificate at all now, neither current nor expired ) if you can't produce a valid certificate on request, then your firearms can in theory, be seized. In practise it would probably pan out like you have said above.

Guest topshot_2k

Haven't heard that one before, but like my mate ( except he doesn't have a certificate at all now, neither current nor expired ) if you can't produce a valid certificate on request, then your firearms can in theory, be seized. In practise it would probably pan out like you have said above.

Well I heard back from BASC and they spoke to the FLO who confirmed that as long as the renewal is updated on the national system I dont need to produce a paper certificate as any police officer can check the certificate over the radio via their control room. It just means I cant buy ammo or guns which is annoying as it expires the day before the CLA :cry1:

Edited by topshot_2k

Well I heard back from BASC and they spoke to the FLO who confirmed that as long as the renewal is updated on the national system I dont need to produce a paper certificate as any police officer can check the certificate over the radio via their control room. It just means I cant buy ammo or guns which is annoying as it expires the day before the CLA :cry1:

Fair enough. I can see how annoying it must be but I've never let the lack of a certificate put me off buying a gun, although it may mean you have to pay transfer charges.

Mate has just today been given his S7 permit. He can now sell his guns to me but not buy the one I am holding for him, so we're no better off until proper tickets come through. FEO says he has another 93 visits to make before he's caught up. :hmm: How that works I have no idea.