Wildfowling season 2015-2016

silver pigeon 3

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this morning gave the first signs that winter might be on the way? It dropped to 5 degrees for a short while, and the marsh was full of thick fog. Duck could be heard but were hidden amoungst the white stuff. And the only chance that presented itself was this one, a solitary grey that must have lost it's way in the fog. They're abit of a rarity on my marsh, maybe something to do with the 10,000 Canada's?

http://youtu.be/6J9OK5EcWlw

The footage is not fantastic, as it was shot with a cheap Aldi action cam, but I think it's persuaded me to take a camera along more often :good:

Always nice to see a vid :good:

I'm north scotland and we only get the canadas over the summer for the moult and for the first few days of the season. They clear off really quick once they've been shot at. But everyone seems to go daft for them at the start of the season. Funny how it varies around the country.

A serious c**k up.

Had a flight on the coast this morning and everything went wrong. First i was late up and by the time I reached the creek I wanted to decoy in it was already getting light. As I was putting the decoys out three mallard came over head lovely and low and my gun was still in its slip. Having set the decoys up I just waded back to my hide when I saw the dogs head go up as a bunch of mallard lifted out of the decoys. The next mallard was low , but just out of range to me left and then a pair came over just too high for a shot and that was the end of the dawn flight. I stayed on for a couple more hours in the hopes of a bunch of early teal or wigeon comming in , but never saw any. Finally as I was watching a distant bunch of pinks I caught sight of a duck almost overhead well up, and flying fast with a stiff wind behind it. Before I could get the gun to my shoulder it was gone. So with a bit of luck what could have been a 4-5 bird morning was a blank.

Edited by anser2

A serious c**k up.

Had a flight on the coast this morning and everything went wrong. First i was late up and by the time I reached the creek I wanted to decoy in it was already getting light. As I was putting the decoys out three mallard came over head lovely and low and my gun was still in its slip. Having set the decoys up I just waded back to my hide when I saw the dogs head go up as a bunch of mallard lifted out of the decoys. The next mallard was low , but just out of range to me left and then a pair came over just too high for a shot and that was the end of the dawn flight. I stayed on for a couple more hours in the hopes of a bunch of early teal or wigeon comming in , but never saw any. Finally as I was watching a distant bunch of pinks I caught sight of a duck almost overhead well up, and flying fast with a stiff wind behind it. Before I could get the gun to my shoulder it was gone. So with a bit of luck what could have been a 4-5 bird morning was a blank.

No doubt your had a few similar flights in the past anser2 , then your had a few where it looked a waste of time and you end up with half a dozen in the bag , one of the joys of wild fowling :good:

They started to take the sugar beet up today on the fields the Pinks like , so there meals are ready , all we want now is for them to turn up and eat it :lol:

I went out for a look last night with the gun and the hound. By the time I had made it to my chosen spot the wind had fallen away to nothing and with a perfectly clear sky and a fairly big moon I did not expect to see much action. It was good to be out the house though, the lapwings were doing some fancy flying and the snipe were coming in like little rockets only to land with the tinyest plop at the waters edge. I was about to unload the gun and head home when 3 mallard came in from my right, my only two shots of the night flew true and I headed home with a couple of mallard in the bag and a happy hound at my side.

Cheers lads!!!! It went quite well, I managed to bag my first foreshore Canada!!!!! I've had plenty inland but never on the shore. Huge retrieve from the dog, landed straight in the river, tide started taking it out, sent him, straight out and back, although he really struggled to get it back up the bank as it was so heavy! I cannot praise the Eley lightening steel 3s enough, in my opinion they are as good as a four in lead.

My friend had some shooting too, but was unlucky not to bag anything. Five shots, 3 birds, one happy welshman!!!!

Well done, I used the eley Lightning for my first time out 11 mallard for 13 shots that is a very good cartridge .

We had a "young shots" evening tonight, apart from a rubbish uptake from our club members the lads that attended were treated to a fantastic flight. My lad bagged 3 mallard from 5 shots and the other lad had his 1st ever bird. Out chasing the geese tomorrow morning.

20150925_202942_zpsofc5lkfl.jpg

Edited by silver pigeon 3

We had a "young shots" evening tonight, apart from a rubbish uptake from our club members the lads that attended were treated to a fantastic flight. My lad bagged 3 mallard from 5 shots and the other lad had his 1st ever bird. Out chasing the geese tomorrow morning.

Fantastic, well done!

20150925_202942_zpsofc5lkfl.jpg

Thats brilliant well done, shame more didnt attend, i could of only wish for such a thing to happen when i was his age.

Just had a weekend in the Broads and had some great sunrises though the bag was rather light. Saturdays’ dawn was magic tucked into the reeds alongside a large tidal river .dawn was unbelievable still with the rivers surface shining like a mirror. As the light grew mist started to form in the river and though the reeds were quite clear the fog over the river was very thick lifting in slow spinning wraths reaching 50 yards or more into the sky. I only had one shot more in hopes of pushing a duck off the river at a high pigeon. For a second the bird appeared untouched then as it was almost out of sight in the fog its wing beats slowed and it fell with a massive thump into the marsh. The dogs could not find it , but we had a second look while walking off , but there was no scent and the dog had to almost trip over it before she knew it was there. One single goose came down the river at a reasonable height and my mate dropped it nicely in the river. His gun was empty and it was drifting rapidly away on the fast tide and as it had its head up I gave it a barrel to finish it off on the water. The first shot seemed to have no effect though it was in the centre of the patten. It rolled over with its feet in the air to my second shot. Just as my dog was about to grab it righted it’s self and dived. It never seemed as though it was going to come up as it must have dived for 20-30 seconds. It came up close to the dog, too close for a shot and dived again never to be seen again. The water was so still I would have thought its ripples would have given it away when it resurfaced if it did so as there were a lot of rafts of broken reed drifting up the river and I suspect it came up under one of them. No duck came any where near us and most were very high.

I had intended to flight the North River alone this morning , but got badly delayed at home and at some road works and there was only just time to return to the same spot we flighted Saturday.

No fog this morning but the river was full of mallard. One pair came fast down river and I pulled down a hen mallard , but the only other chance I had was at a bunch of 4 that caught me by surprise and got away unshot at. From first light there were mallard in the sky all the time , but all were very high. All morning I could hear mallard quacking in a reedy dyke behind the river wall and as it was on the way home I thought I would try and walk them up. The reeds were quite thick and mallard will sit surprisingly tight in such situations so I let my dog quest a few yards in front. She was having a whale of a time chasing moorhens and even thought about having a go at retrieving a swan before I dissuaded her. Finally a loud quack came from the reeds and a flapper mallard burst out of the reeds passing a few yards off only just above the marsh. Four more quickly followed and to her disgust I called the dog to heel. They must have been to brood of week old ducklings I had seen on the opening day. Well at least 5 of them had reached the flying stage which was good news.

Edited by anser2

As expected another detailed report on your weekend adventure on the broads , not the ideal weather for duck shooting but for being out for some fresh air you couldn't had wished for a better weekend .

Walking around the marsh last week where I go on ,I put up three Mallard that only just managed to fly out of the dyke and today when I had a walk on the clubs land to see if there were any pigeons about there were five Mallard in the big dyke that just swam into the reeds , so even though we are nearly into October there are still several duck in the flapper stage .

Still no sign of the Pinks yet ,and going by the same time last year they are now a few days late so they can be expected to turn up any day now .

As you say the weather was a joy to be out in. After morning flight today I just sat on the river wall and soaked the atmosphere of the marshes in for ages. A joy to be there.

I did see three pinks over the Chet Sunday so the first have arrived. If they are like the N Coast geese they will start comming in on this moon , but its not until we have a period of dark between dusk and moon rise that you get a clear idea how many are about.

Mallard never cease to amaze me. On some marshes they flee at the first sound of a shot yet on one friends shoot in the Wensum valley the mallard spend the day in a flooded reed bed. Even at the end of the season they sit very tight and even after a few shots some will stay sitting just a hundred yards further on. Without dogs you would walk past a lot of them.

Edited by anser2

I am having a few days off work to get a bit of fowling in , managed a pintail yesterday .

Met up with motty and muncher today for a morning / tide flight .

Things were a little slower than I thought they may be but I was happy with 3 wigeon in the bag the first two of which fell to a nice left and right .

Motty and muncher managed 2 teal and 2 wigeon between them so all in all a successful flight.

IMAG02771_zpspordrfxn.jpg

IMAG02791_zpsndr45dwf.jpg