Spring Air Rifle Goes Bang But No Bullet.

Marksman1997

As mentioned in title i have a bit of a problem and need somebody that knows a bit about gun repairs or something. A old man brought his old springer air rifle out to me as he said it would not put the bullet out but went bang... Opened it up and a pellet fell out shortly followed by another. Then looked down the barrel into the sky (from the pellet insert area not the muzzle!) and couldn't see any glimpse of daylight so got out the rods and pushed out another pellet. Then looked again and seen daylight but had heavy leading were the bullet was stuck used hoppe's 9 to remove leading and fouling and pulled rag through it repetitively. Looked down and it was squeaky clean. loaded one of my pellets incase his was faulty or too big. Fired at a can and no bullet. Opened up gun and out drops pellet. Any idea people...??

I'd hazard a guess that the washer is in fact not a washer any more. Do you feel any 'recoil'?

You PM'd me a few days ago - are you sorted now?

Yea Dave got sorted ok. Now that you mention it the gun near bounced out of my hands. More like a big vibration or shake.

I looked at gun make and im not at home to check but its a German make but not weihrauch kinda similar though.

Also how much does a piston seal cost to get fixed?

Is it handy to do?

What exactly does the piston seal do?

Sorry for all the questions but i need to tell the old man whats wrong.

If you have a good old fashioned bicycle pump, unscrew the end and you will find almost exactly what the piston/seal is/does!

:good:

Also how much does a piston seal cost to get fixed?

Is it handy to do?

What exactly does the piston seal do?

Sorry for all the questions but i need to tell the old man whats wrong.

Well, I put a new leather one into my old BSA when I was aged 12.

It should not require great mechanical skills

Its probably a leather cup washer TRY putting a few drops of oil down the barrel clear of pellets and stand it up for a couple of days the oil soaks into washer and swells it I had an old hw35 that was the same it was the washer that had dried up soaked it in oil for a couple of days was perfect after that the reason you put oil down barrel is the washer expands as it soaks up the oil can be a sod to get back in chamber I found best way just put oil down barrel and stand gun up stock down and leave it a couple of days then turn gun round on a cloth to allow surplus oil to drain out it will smoke for a few shots but it will clear leather cup washers need oiling regular to keep them in good condition

Feinwerkbau made some of the finest spring-powered rifles ever made. It's definitely worth fixing.

Good to know thanks!

Its probably a leather cup washer TRY putting a few drops of oil down the barrel clear of pellets and stand it up for a couple of days the oil soaks into washer and swells it I had an old hw35 that was the same it was the washer that had dried up soaked it in oil for a couple of days was perfect after that the reason you put oil down barrel is the washer expands as it soaks up the oil can be a sod to get back in chamber I found best way just put oil down barrel and stand gun up stock down and leave it a couple of days then turn gun round on a cloth to allow surplus oil to drain out it will smoke for a few shots but it will clear leather cup washers need oiling regular to keep them in good condition

I will try this when i get home as it could be a easy fix.

This is such a lazy and poor way to try and service a good air rifle, all you will do is introduce oil into a compressoon chamber which you shouldnt do, make it diesel everytime it fires and it will smoke like a clapped out tranny van. Doyourself a lot of hassle OP and just take it apart and properly service it.

This is such a lazy and poor way to try and service a good air rifle, all you will do is introduce oil into a compressoon chamber which you shouldnt do, make it diesel everytime it fires and it will smoke like a clapped out tranny van. Doyourself a lot of hassle OP and just take it apart and properly service it.

+1. :good: