to polish and harden lead shot

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having patterned and used in the field quite a wide range of cartridges through full chokes I found that in a 32 gramme fibre load Gamebore Black Gold patterned best but that RC SIPE definitely killed best at ranges past about 40 yards. I have never understood what makes the SIPEs so much more lethal than anything else I used through my heavily choked trap gun but I have no doubt about it.

Having patterned and used in the field quite a wide range of cartridges through full chokes I found that in a 32 gramme fibre load Gamebore Black Gold patterned best but that RC SIPE definitely killed best at ranges past about 40 yards. I have never understood what makes the SIPEs so much more lethal than anything else I used through my heavily choked trap gun but I have no doubt about it.

RC shots sizes are in european were as Gamebore are in UK so your about half a size bigger with the RC's which may explain their lethality.

no ive some ali powder coming will try a bit of that also just orderd in my lorry a couple of ton at 3% instead of 2% wat I normaly buy so to try it myself its not a lot more but the 5 is to hard good for long range clays but on a tower I used to shoot 5% and I can show you clays with holes clean through and not broke the clay that might have cost someone a big prize so I am going to do some 3% with ally powder see you thanks george

no ive some ali powder coming will try a bit of that also just orderd in my lorry a couple of ton at 3% instead of 2% wat I normaly buy so to try it myself its not a lot more but the 5 is to hard good for long range clays but on a tower I used to shoot 5% and I can show you clays with holes clean through and not broke the clay that might have cost someone a big prize so I am going to do some 3% with ally powder see you thanks George

Isn't aluminium powder explosive? I recall it being used in munitions or fireworks or some such thing

no ive some ali powder coming will try a bit of that also just orderd in my lorry a couple of ton at 3% instead of 2% wat I normaly buy so to try it myself its not a lot more but the 5 is to hard good for long range clays but on a tower I used to shoot 5% and I can show you clays with holes clean through and not broke the clay that might have cost someone a big prize so I am going to do some 3% with ally powder see you thanks george

So what will the 3% do that the 5% won't?

Isn't aluminium powder explosive? I recall it being used in munitions or fireworks or some such thing

It is used to generate colours in fireworks along with other metallic powders.

Yes it can burn very fiercely at over 600 degrees C

George 3% antimony will be great as an all rounder.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Try it George on a small batch. To be honest lead shot on its own will polish by rubbing together.

If this alli powder burns like some say I'd be carful of using it on shot as the residue may ignite on firing the cartridge causing the shot to fuse.

I wasn't saying that it was a risk. Just responding to this point "Isn't aluminium powder explosive? I recall it being used in munitions or fireworks or some such thing"

Sorry, wasn't referring to the aluminium powder bit but the part where some hold the belief that a tiny shot size pellet deforming makes it impart more lethal energy.