Log burner iner walls

krowe79

A few do have baffle plates on the top, I have a Hunter Herald 8 and I replaced the brick baffle with a steel plate because i kept knocking it when putting logs in and got fed up with replacing it.

I would not recommend using it without, all you will be doing is heating your village as the heat will go straight up the chimney.

I refurbished a morso last year, new firebrick sides and a new steel baffle plate and grate bars, glass and seals. Firing without firebricks or baffle plate can totally stuff up your logburner leading to cracking and splitting. It's there for a reason, to protect the cast iron from excessive heat. Don't use it!

Search online and you can find pattern parts much cheaper than originals.

I refurbished a morso last year, new firebrick sides and a new steel baffle plate and grate bars, glass and seals. Firing without firebricks or baffle plate can totally stuff up your logburner leading to cracking and splitting. It's there for a reason, to protect the cast iron from excessive heat. Don't use it!Search online and you can find pattern parts much cheaper than originals.

I saw a wood burner that had been used without fire bricks and it was totally wrecked. Some of the panels were buckled and split by the heat. The unit had been a good unit and had a back boiler on it but the bricks had cracked and the owner had decided to take the remaining bricks out. The splits were so bad that smoke and flames were coming out from the cracks and filling the house with smoke and fumes.the people in the house could have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. if only the bricks had been replaced the unit wouldn't have had to be replaced costing a lot of money and having to get the plumbing work done as well.

They did not fit a lining for no good reason, several being exampled above. Destruction of the unit, leakage of gases of combustion, warping of plates, danger of combusting materials much further away than the recommended safety instructions, etc..

Fire bricks are produced with different properties - insulation, resistance to chemical attack, strength - so fit the right type with the correct expansion clearances.

The insulation is also important, particularly with a wood burner, to maintain the firebox temperature high enough to achieve complete combustion - rather than destructive distillation which would mean condensation in the chimney with subsequent increased risk of chimney fire.