Remote Cinema

Scully

Our little town (visitors call it a village) doesn't have a cinema so a local arty farty group in which I've recently become involved have created a cinema night in the market hall. It takes place about once a month and is open to anyone who likes cinema.

There is food and alcohol served and while eating and drinking the film is screened. Nothing too violent or mainstream blockbusterish, but mainly art house films such as tomorrow evenings viewing: 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night', which is an Iranian feminist vampire film!

As one of the local ladies was born in Iran, the food will be traditional Persian fare, which by all previous accounts was wonderful. There is a local Indian lady who has lived here since the 1970's after marrying a local chimney sweep, who was quite a celebrity and novelty back then who is also a member, so can't wait for a bit of Bollywood! :yes:

No one takes it too seriously, and it's a great way to chill out and temporarily postpone the start of another working week. I was very full and a little squiffy after the last one; that wine is potent stuff. :)

Anyone else do similar in their small communities?

We use the village hall with a projector, the hall is licensed and the film is chosen by vote through the village hall committee, it's really successful.

We also have a village breakfast every month, I cook, the profit goes to rainbows, the local Bobby turns up as a surgery.

We do a lot really, wine tasting nights, quiz nights, bread making (which I do) and others that I'm not interested in lol

The village hall is really important to our community, almost as much as the pub in the village, oh and the church

Edited by kyska

I think that is one of the huge attractions of small town or village life and something that is probably becoming increasingly rare.

I really envy the sense of community that both you and Kyska talk about, enough engagement to bring benefit to all, but not so much as to make things overly cliquey.

It is also something that seems to be increasingly confined to rural areas, whether that is due to relative remoteness and long standing community relationships, or whether it is because it is less influenced by the speed of change in bigger cities and commuter belts. Maybe to contradict myself a little there do appear to be pockets in cities where there is a sense of community too, but typically these are more related by common interest, i.e. counter culture, trend or hipness rather than a sense of wider community.

I think it is something that you should cherish and embrace for it could so easily be lost.

They used to run one in the village hall where I grew up about 10 years ago however they got shut down and sued for copyright royalty theft or something as they were showing dvds that were not for public viewing same as you buy in shops. Went to court and were fined just over £100K. Village hall was closed for about 3 years while it went on.

They used to run one in the village hall where I grew up about 10 years ago however they got shut down and sued for copyright royalty theft or something as they were showing dvds that were not for public viewing same as you buy in shops. Went to court and were fined just over £100K. Village hall was closed for about 3 years while it went on.

That's a great shame. The one in our town is all totally legit' and above board and partially funded by an Arts Council. It is totally non-profit making in the sense that no one is paid and all monies raised go to local causes.

Our little town (visitors call it a village) doesn't have a cinema so a local arty farty group in which I've recently become involved have created a cinema night in the market hall. It takes place about once a month and is open to anyone who likes cinema.

There is food and alcohol served and while eating and drinking the film is screened. Nothing too violent or mainstream blockbusterish, but mainly art house films such as tomorrow evenings viewing: 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night', which is an Iranian feminist vampire film!

As one of the local ladies was born in Iran, the food will be traditional Persian fare, which by all previous accounts was wonderful. There is a local Indian lady who has lived here since the 1970's after marrying a local chimney sweep, who was quite a celebrity and novelty back then who is also a member, so can't wait for a bit of Bollywood! :yes:

No one takes it too seriously, and it's a great way to chill out and temporarily postpone the start of another working week. I was very full and a little squiffy after the last one; that wine is potent stuff. :)

Anyone else do similar in their small communities? hello, sounds like you had a good evening film watching and !!!!!!!!!! dont think anything like that here but i do like foreign films. BBC4 The bridge is on soon with a new series.

Our local village hall is used for all sorts of things including a cinema, indoor carpet bowls, dancing classes to name a few. In parts of rural Scotland they use a mobile cinema lorry called Screen Machine to visit remote locations. I have never been to it myself but it is quite something to see when it is all opened up.