Bonfire night foxing

WelshMike

Since I dont have kids what else is there to do on a murky bonfire night other then get out after the Foxes? (If anybody has any suggestions please keep them civil)

I have been to this farm a fair bit over the last few weeks as every time I shoot a fox (or 2 or 3) I always seem to see or hear others.

Arrived at around 8.30 and set out in the drizzle (weather man said it was going to be dry but never mind). Got to the second field and saw a flash of eyes at the bottom of the field. By the time I got the NV on and in position the fox had moved up the field and didnt present a safe shot. At this point I realised that I had dropped my NM800 torch....not good. I think I must have expressed my disgust out loud as the fox moved back down the field. Dropped her at around the 60 yard mark. Back to the truck and back home to find another torch to find the NM800....30 minutes later back out and whilst looking for the torch saw fox backside heading off down the same field at a fair rate. Fortunately I managed to find my NM800.

Carried on round the rest of the ground until about 11.30 at which point I returned to move the fox off the field. Nice little vixen (this years cub). As I turned to walk back to the truck I saw another flash of eyes at about 30 yards. The fox had unfortunately gone through the fence at the top of the field by the time I got into position but he made his way across the next field and dropped to a bib shot at around 110 yards. Went and collected him and back across ready for home. One last check and greeted by another set of eyes about 250 yards away. Quick squeak and over to the NV.

This fox showed a little bit of interest but at 140 or so yards decided to head off, brief pause dropped him on the spot. Number 3 down. I got over to him and had a quick check with the lamp to see yet another pair of eyes. NV on and saw the fox sat perfectly skylined, quick squeak and off it went over the bank never to be seen again...well since it was 12 and I needed some beauty sleep never to be seen last night. Looks like there is still some work to do before lambing next year .

As usual all 3 foxes were in great condition.

3%20foxes%2005.11.15_zpsnzfzqxoq.jpg

Cheers Steve. How are you finding the N750A? Any foxes accounted for yet mate?

I haven't had chance to go out with it yet, Mike, owing to this lousy weather. I want to re zero it in the dark at 100 yards, and have a cardboard box ready, with reflective tape on the outside. I have some stick on LED lights that will go inside, and hopefully, I will see the light where the bullets strike.

I haven't had chance to go out with it yet, Mike, owing to this lousy weather. I want to re zero it in the dark at 100 yards, and have a cardboard box ready, with reflective tape on the outside. I have some stick on LED lights that will go inside, and hopefully, I will see the light where the bullets strike.

Sounds a good plan, I bet your itching to get the new set up christened. Take it easy buddy.

Good result Mike .....you certainly have some foxes about. Not been able to get out due to this fog but its clear tonight so off out in pursuit.

Cheers mate. To be fair I only took this farm on towards the end of last year and all was quiet on the fox front to start off with...they must have bred very well. Good luck tonight mate, I am also off out as 100 or so acres of maize has just been cut.

Itching? I've scratched myself to bits! :)

Get yourself down the doctors and see if they have some cream mate :lol:

Great stuff, a really productive night. I wonder how soon foxes will learn that they are safe when they are skylined ?!

Cheers mate. I think that they like to stay in a position that gives them a good vantage point (despite it being dark) which often ends up being the top of a bank in my case. I should have held off making any noise to see what the fox did...it might have come down the bank a little but I was happy with the three.

well done mike excellent work on the foxes ,ill be out this week after them saw a pair last night and few more dotted around our bait sites .. steve-b -wales.as for zeroing nv gear at night i use a cardboard box with a ir t20 stuck in top works brill bullet strikes show up easily

well done mike excellent work on the foxes ,ill be out this week after them saw a pair last night and few more dotted around our bait sites .. steve-b -wales.as for zeroing nv gear at night i use a cardboard box with a ir t20 stuck in top works brill bullet strikes show up easily

I am going to do the same thing with a cardboard box. I have painted one side of a large box with black poster paint. I have a 3" square of reflective tape on the outside.I've put cooking foil inside to increase brightness, and have got 4 of the stick on LED lights to use inside.

Well done Mike :good::good::good: Good do mate to wet here to get out last night and its P-ing it down now here. atb Terry

Cheers mate

Smashing Mike super result. Darran.

Thanks bud

3 Cracker looking Foxes in full winter wear well in :good:

Mr Farmer will be well chuffed

Thanks for your kind remarks. Another couple and hopefully no fox issues for lambing

Nice going mike.

Get some thermal, it's bloody amazing for spottng. I watched one last night in a hedge about 6 feet up. No shot though.

Dont you start trying to tempt me you bad man.

Cheers buddy.

three cracking foxes there Mike,,,good shooting...i had one bonfire night to with all the banging and smoke going on..lol

Thanks mate. Glad you got one as well. Fireworks are good for muffling the report of a .243 :lol: