Are we the same

imissalot

During the Daily Politics programme on BBC2 at lunchtime today, Andrew Neil stated that the French had immediately placed 120000 Armed Troops and Police on the streets across France although centred upon Paris.

He reckoned that the United Kingdom would be able to raise a total of 6000.

I do not know where he got his figures from but it sure makes you think.

During the Daily Politics programme on BBC2 at lunchtime today, Andrew Neil stated that the French had immediately placed 120000 Armed Troops and Police on the streets across France although centred upon Paris.

He reckoned that the United Kingdom would be able to raise a total of 6000.

I do not know where he got his figures from but it sure makes you think.

Not sure if France does this but a lot of euro countries have a massive army reserve so perhaps it's easier to mobilise them like the US national guard whereas we have to actively relocate our full time troops which is not so easy?

I think we should , need to sort them all out ASAP

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, the issue of putting regular troops on the street in this kind of scenario is hugely complex. What's their role, who has precedence, civil authorities or military, where does SF fit in? It simply not as straight forward as suggesting send in the Troops

It may make the public feel safer having large numbers of soldiers and police on the streets but what would they actually achieve? Terrorists don't advertise who they are, they don't wear a uniform or look any different to any other person of the same ethnic background. Just the presence of an armed soldier will never stop a suicide bomber who is determined to die and take the innocent with him or her.

Should we though?

No, it's a dangerous idea, not because they are not capable but more because they train differently, and that is for good reason.

We want a military capable of aggressive and dynamic action, we will lose that capability to a degree of we use them for to much peace keeping type missions. Hence why Iraq and Afgahn were a cluster at the start.

Troops fight, police do policing all for good reason.

We don't Employ a painter to do plumbing do we :)

I recall a good few years ago flying down to Heathrow on the red eye from Edinburgh, whilst en route there were a number of non specific threats made in London, by the time my flight landed there were troops on station at Heathrow with light armoured personnel vehicles controlling all the access routes in and out. Very well organised it was too.

I was working at the airport and asked some of the guys down there when the troops rocked up and they reckoned it was less than an hour from the point of the warnings being highlighted to the airport staff and the subsequent arrival of the military.

I appreciate that it is the primary airport in the country so likely received special attention, but it was reassuring to know that when the button is pushed we can react very quickly and efficiently.

I recall a good few years ago flying down to Heathrow on the red eye from Edinburgh, whilst en route there were a number of non specific threats made in London, by the time my flight landed there were troops on station at Heathrow with light armoured personnel vehicles controlling all the access routes in and out. Very well organised it was too.

I was working at the airport and asked some of the guys down there when the troops rocked up and they reckoned it was less than an hour from the point of the warnings being highlighted to the airport staff and the subsequent arrival of the military.

I appreciate that it is the primary airport in the country so likely received special attention, but it was reassuring to know that when the button is pushed we can react very quickly and efficiently.

The trouble is that was, as you say, 'A good few years ago'. They were household cavalry troops and have now probably had their armoured element removed or put into long term storage.

Don't forget we don't have the same immigrant problem that the other European countries have. Both Belgium and France and to a slightly lessor extent Germany through the 'open door' policy have massive numbers circulating around their countries without any real idea of how many and where they are. France's numbers are estimated to be 5m, many of which have come from Africa/Arab nations - we have not and we have a little more idea of our problems and thus do not need to mobilise hundreds of thousands of troops when we have threats.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, the issue of putting regular troops on the street in this kind of scenario is hugely complex. What's their role, who has precedence, civil authorities or military, where does SF fit in? It simply not as straight forward as suggesting send in the Troops

Problem is we don't have enough of either police or troops.

EXACTLY!

This unfortunately, but military and to a lesser extent policing cuts are generally an easy sell because the vast majority aren't affected by them so therefore don't see or understand the downstream effect. That is until something goes wrong.

Which it WILL!