Consequences

Scully

Discussing insurance in town this morning due to floods etc and it popped up in conversation that the son of a local has been involved in his second car accident since passing his test three years ago at the age of 17.

This accident was unavoidable to be fair to him but it transpires that the son has been insured to drive his own vehicle on his fathers insurance since the first accident, as the premium was around the £3000 mark.

I'm not bothered about the fact that this may be illegal; that's his problem, but someone asked me what the consequences of this would be, and I had to admit I hadn't a clue. Anyone know?

It is called 'fronting', where the (declared) main driver is not actually the driver at all, but one of the subsidiary drivers usually uses the car.

If caught, then the insurer would cancel the policy on the spot, leading to all sorts of grief for both the son and the father for a number of years, as one of the questions you are asked when applying is along the lines of " have you ever been declined insurance or had a policy cancelled".

In short terms, while it may not be a criminal offence, insurers look on it as attempted fraud, and treat accordingly.

Discussing insurance in town this morning due to floods etc and it popped up in conversation that the son of a local has been involved in his second car accident since passing his test three years ago at the age of 17.

This accident was unavoidable to be fair to him but it transpires that the son has been insured to drive his own vehicle on his fathers insurance since the first accident, as the premium was around the £3000 mark.

I'm not bothered about the fact that this may be illegal; that's his problem, but someone asked me what the consequences of this would be, and I had to admit I hadn't a clue. Anyone know?

It is technically illegal. It's called insurance fronting.

However, when I was 17, I did this and claimed numerous times. My insurance company were fine. The only time they challenged was when the car was registered in my name. They just asked for some extra payment.

On the subject of fronting and main driver what are the criteria for "main driver" we share a car, Jan drives it to work Monday to Friday around 22 miles a day and does supermarket and other stuff, I drive it two day a week on the weekend but 95% of the time I am driving for the majority of the miles

There's no point fronting any more there is no price difference

My lads insurance is cheaper with me as a named driver than as the main driver

Same with my daughter, although she's been driving for nearly 4 years, the insurance company said it would make the policy cheaper if my wife was put on as a named driver with daughter as policy holder. I think as soon as you mention a young driver nowadays they base the insurance cost on them.

Putting an older person on as an occasional user is not a problem. The problem is when it's down as mum's car with sprog as an occasional driver, but in reality is it sprog using the car almost daily.

For 'Rupert' : doesn't matter. We're exactly the same. As long as you aren't trying to gain any fraudulent advantage, then you're all good.

Used to be in the insurance game before i retired..When my lad was 17 i bought him a mini insured it in my name with him as named driver..

The company queried this until i proved to them he only drove the car to college and back each day approx 3 miles..

I used it on a night and weekend to save milage on my main car so as i was doing more miles i was classed as the main driver no problem..

After he finished university he moved to London to work his first car was going to cost him over £3,000 to insure the broker he was going with rang me and asked if i minded going on as named driver

it brought his premium down to just over £700 never did drive that motor... :lol: