Can't remove fouling just in front of the chamber.. Why?

Wingman

I use eley firsts no9 for skeet and some of the closer sporting targets.I have never really had much problem cleaning any fouling out of the barrels.I use them on skeet as I cant see the point using expensive carts on close birds.I usually spend around twenty minutes cleaning a gun after use.

Please never use wire wool anywhere on a shotgun or any other gun, minute bits will fall off into moving parts or tiny corners however you try to avoid it and the start rusting or wearing away at moving parts

You are absolutely right - and I keep saying the same - but there are many who think wire wool is the best thing since sliced bread - but I don't think much of sliced bread either!

I would use Young's 303 or a similar solvent cleaner (though I believe Ed's Red is good - especially for plastic fouling). Let is work for half an hours or so, then a Payne Galway pattern brush. I have always managed to get a gun clean this way.

Turk's heads are very aggressive and need to be used with care, though I believe they will shift almost anything.

Always use Eley VIP in either sporting (fibre) or trap (plastic) flavour. I Like clean barrels but always have trouble getting them shiny after using the fibre variety, but consistency and breaks make up for that 😊. I hear people complain about plastic fouling but after using trap carts a 5-10 min soak of Napier then the bore snake and my barrels are spotless, use fibre and it's a 10 min soak 5 min scrub, 10 min soak, scrub, soak, bore snake, repeat....... I've found it's the wad that causes the issue of fouling, using fibre wad the lead is in contact with the barrels and fouling the forcing cones where it gets um well 'forced', but with plastic wads there's no contact.

Please never use wire wool anywhere on a shotgun or any other gun, minute bits will fall off into moving parts or tiny corners however you try to avoid it and the start rusting or wearing away at moving parts

My gunsmith also recommended this though so it seems a widely accepted practice. I see your point about small bits of steel wool remaining but surely this could be alleviated with a good cleaning regime?