Shotgun Stock and Fore End Refinishing.

cartridge94

Hello Chaps.

I am thinking of refinishing the stock and fore end on my Baikal Model 27.

I have seen Tru-Oil on youtube and it looks like it gives a top quality finish if you are prepared to put the hours in.

Have any of you fellows had an experience with Tru-Oil?

Do you think it would work well on a Baikal Stock?

Cheers

Cartridge94

Tru oil has IMHO no place need any sort of gun got for chisel handle though.

I'd make sure your Biakal has a walnut stock before you start lots where/are beach and need slightly different approaches.

cheers matey :) I think it is beech as it was made in the USSR so pre 1991. its absolutely solid. What other approaches would you recommend for beech?

Beech is very difficult...near impossible to stain and get the colour right.......i have toyed with the idea of using a pre-stained expensive boat varnish......strip the stock dry it in the airing cupboard ..sand it....first coat cut back by 50%...dry and sand 2nd coat same again....3rd coat cut back 20% dry and sand then eventually end up with a finish which is not too thick but has soaked in to the wood..........i will try it one day and see what results........

I used stained danish oil with great success on guitars. You can get a few colored ones, like yellow/blond or redish etc; in which case you stain the finish, not the wood so it works pretty evenly.

Danish oil makes a great finish -- with proper curing it is very, very solid stuff.

Before/after pics. Mind you it took at least 5+ coats on this one...and it took a couple of months for it to be /truly/ bulletproof

7Kk63t8.jpg

E4NFGZ3.jpg

On air guns I have stripped and found to have beech stocks I have like mentioned above used Danish oil- think it was mahogany. Lots of work,coat wait few days, then cut back with wet and dry and repeat with gradually fined grades of paper till get the finish I was after then dry for few weeks and light rubbing with rotten stone to take some of the sheen off. Give yourself plenty of time- the coats feel dry after 1-2 days but need much longer to actually dry. Good luck.

I've used Tru-oil to refinish a number of gun stocks and have been nothing but pleased with the results given my skill level. You can use the BC stock conditioner or 0000 wire wool to give a satin \ Matt finish if you don't like shiny shiny.

I've used tru oil a couple of times too, and at the time I was very impressed with how easy and quick it was to get a good finish BUT after using boiled linseed oil on a couple of other stocks I released what a difference it makes. I'd now rather do it slowly but properly with oil than fast and glossy with tru oil. These were walnut stocks btw.

Edited by FalconFN

• 2 weeks later...

Spectacular! love a Tele, had to sell my one-off Graham Parker pair of guitar and bass in a time of extreme poverty, like guns sold and regretted, are musical instruments, I miss them too much and to replace them would be impossible. Do you build from scratch?

I used stained danish oil with great success on guitars. You can get a few colored ones, like yellow/blond or redish etc; in which case you stain the finish, not the wood so it works pretty evenly.

Danish oil makes a great finish -- with proper curing it is very, very solid stuff.

Before/after pics. Mind you it took at least 5+ coats on this one...and it took a couple of months for it to be /truly/ bulletproof

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=e39a0ba083b44be6e72b58b203752efd&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=328043&p=2976326&md5check=bf128d0ecca97bef382be520e00d4ed8&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,fwFiK9aij3M');//]]></script> 7Kk63t8.jpg&&0

E4NFGZ3.jpg