Windows 10

Les*1066

I "upgraded" my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, and now the internet connection keeps dropping out. It's OK on my old faithful XP driven machine, and 8.1 was OK - apart from being a lousy OS - so it is definitely Windows 10 that is causing the problem.

I've checked for new drivers etc etc, all to no avail. Is anybody else having a problem? Have you managed to overcome it?

I had the same issue a couple of days back after upgrading to Win 10, a forum I'm on had this answer & it worked for me.

Go to Device Manager, open the properties dialog for the wireless adapter, un-tick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then "OK":

Hope it works for you...

Funnily enough last week my older i7 Sabertooth mobo started dying, so I was forced into re-building my desktop PC.

I took the opportunity to upgrade the 6GB SATA SSD to a larger, faster drive, using the M.2 slot on the new motherboard. Win 7 which I was using, wouldn't boot from it without going into the BIOS every boot, so I upgraded to Win 10. TBH it was slow and frustrating. I decided to clone the original Win 7 SSD and keep that as a back-up. I then did a clean install with Win 10 and wow, what a difference. It's like lightning. Works right from the get go. It takes a bit of effort to learn the new OS but it's a big thumbs up :good: ​from me.

Atb

Edited by achosenman

Had no say in it so to speak. M$ kept trying to install it on one of my machine, even after blocking and removing the on File from working. Came down one morning to find it had auto update to win 10. Spent the day researching and switching off bots and pieces and just this week finally sorted out the email link issues I had.

All in all, yes, I can work with it, PC runs a little faster and is easier than win8.1 so have left it in and carried on with it.

I don't have a problem with Windows 10 as an OS. It's very similar to XP-Win7 in many respects. It's just the annoying way it keeps dropping the internet connection. Searching around the internet, it seems to be a common complaint, so I'll probably just have to wait until the first service pack comes out and hope that it fixes the problem. :sad1:

I have two PC's both running Windows 10 from it's early days last year. The first one I did had a problem where it would freeze until restarted, the other one has been faultless.

Like all Microsoft products, particularly Windows, there will be things about it that you don't like.

You have until next July to get Windows 10 for free, after that it will cost you.

I have not had any problems with the internet connection, one is on wifi and the other on an ethernet cable.

There has already been one major upgrade to 10 a few weeks ago, they aren't called Service Packs anymore.

Vic.

I have also been running Windows 10 since last autumn, and it has been a huge improvement over W7.

The only nagging problem had been that the cumulative updates, which occur when you restart the pc, kept failing.

Today, however, the update included the upgrade to the latest version, and bingo, when that installed, all the upgrades worked as well.

Generally everything works as it should, even some very old W98 accounting software, and so much faster.

Very impressed with W10