zeroing help

roadkill

So as today was nice and clear and no wind i decided to head out to garlands and try and zero the browning 17hmr. The range is 100 yards and i set out a bank of targets, could i get the rifle to group well it was very inconsistent and now i believe that the bipod is what is causing the problem! I have noticed that the barrel moves slightly at the very front of the stock so that the barrel actually rests on it , has anyone else come across this issuer before why the bi-pod effects the grouping abd how did you get round this? In the end i took the bi-pod off and got better groupings by resting on the gun bag from a bench.

Next question / is 100 yards the correct distance to zero a 17hmr?

many thanks

Jamie

It's not the barrel moving bud but the stock being pushed to the barrel and it is common today for most stocks to be too flimsy.

You may also been loading the stock up. Too low a bench and or too low scope mounts encourage bearing down on the stock

Try to keep your back upright more.

May need to pack the gun on the bench up.

Edited by Underdog

100 yards is about correct with normal mounts you will be shooting a tad high around 85 yards but not too high

One point to consider is if you can zero in a tunnel range as non delectable down range wind will move things about enough to make you think the gun and ammo ain't shooting too good

so the bipod shouldn't effect the grouping then? If anyone is near the garlands area and fancys a afternoon zeroing it would be a great help as i'm quite clueless when it comes to this

I can help you, you say you're Leicestershire, you about this Sunday?, if you can get my farm we can have a look. I need to zero check for a stalk for the weekend after anyway.

I can help you, you say you're Leicestershire, you about this Sunday?, if you can get my farm we can have a look. I need to zero check for a stalk for the weekend after anyway.

Hello kyska,

I am free this Sunday if you could help get it zero'd for me that would be great as i was just going round in circles today! Would be good to learn some tips

If its a free floating barrel do the £5 note test slide the note between the barrel and for end so it passes with ease all way along if its tight anywhere then take the stock off and sand it down till the note passes through it nice and easy I had this problem myself

Believe me bud. That ain't enough clearance!

Jamie,

I don't see where you mentioned it, but I assume it is a synthetic stock? If that is the case then almost certainly it is bipod technique. In my savage I could alter the POI at 100 yards by 4" (but get consistent groups at the ends of the range) by either pushing in hard or pulling back hard on the bipod as the synthetic stock was fairly flexible. The gun was great on bags and consistent if I was consistent from the bipod. My suggestion is to use bags to get in where you want it. Zero at 100 yards is a good point as noted above (I used to use 125 to give me +/- 1" to about 150-160). Then after it is shooting consistently at 100, then look at your bipod and see how it affects the POI. I found that on soft ground my best bet was lightly pushing in from the shoulder and wrapping my left arm/hand under the trigger/gun and back to my right elbow. That would give me a consistent technique and maintain POI with a non bipod shot.

thanks,

rick

Jamie,

I don't see where you mentioned it, but I assume it is a synthetic stock? If that is the case then almost certainly it is bipod technique. In my savage I could alter the POI at 100 yards by 4" (but get consistent groups at the ends of the range) by either pushing in hard or pulling back hard on the bipod as the synthetic stock was fairly flexible. The gun was great on bags and consistent if I was consistent from the bipod. My suggestion is to use bags to get in where you want it. Zero at 100 yards is a good point as noted above (I used to use 125 to give me +/- 1" to about 150-160). Then after it is shooting consistently at 100, then look at your bipod and see how it affects the POI. I found that on soft ground my best bet was lightly pushing in from the shoulder and wrapping my left arm/hand under the trigger/gun and back to my right elbow. That would give me a consistent technique and maintain POI with a non bipod shot.

thanks,

rick

That's great advice, my mate was speaking about the bipod movement the other day, exactly as you have said :good::good:

Jamie,

thanks,

rick

Rick and all the other posters thanks for your help, it is a synthetic stock and its doing exactly as you mention, i have kyska looking at it this Sunday so i will hopefully come away from this with a better understanding of how the rifle shoots and what i have to do to get the optimum out of it

thanks all again

jamie