12 bore cartridges for females

E27N_JD

So we have summed up the 3 biggest challenges to women shooting clay pigeon

1. recoil

2. weight of gun

3. leaning back

1. Being unused to the weight of a gun. A good coach takes the gun off the novice between shots to minimise holding time. It's not that women can't manage a heavy gun, it's that they are new to it and are expected to go from never having held a gun to holding one for an hour. Ridiculous expectation.

2. Stupidly heavy cartridges that hurt because of an ill-fitting gun. You can't expect every gun to fit, but why waste a 32g cartridge on a novice clay shooter? Only if you want to put her off. And pick the gun with the flattest pitch.

3. A man who can shoot but can't coach telling her what to do. Leave the crossers until the second lesson.

National Ladies Shooting day is 11th June. Eriswell Lodge is probably your closest one. Send the ladies there.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Being unused to the weight of a gun. A good coach takes the gun off the novice between shots to minimise holding time. It's not that women can't manage a heavy gun, it's that they are new to it and are expected to go from never having held a gun to holding one for an hour. Ridiculous expectation.

2. Stupidly heavy cartridges that hurt because of an ill-fitting gun. You can't expect every gun to fit, but why waste a 32g cartridge on a novice clay shooter? Only if you want to put her off. And pick the gun with the flattest pitch.

3. A man who can shoot but can't coach telling her what to do. Leave the crossers until the second lesson.

National Ladies Shooting day is 11th June. Eriswell Lodge is probably your closest one. Send the ladies there.

i'd like to think i can shoot but i'm far from a coach! a close friend who is putting on the day for us does a fair bit of coaching.

11th of june is actually my birthday so that might be worth a look.

All spot on, apart from the fact that not ALL ladies want to mix up with the 'chelsea and pink' or whatever it is that is trendy at the moment. A lady can pretty much come up with the solution to all 3 problems, and speak her own mind -- even if it's not necessarily 'the' best idea. I think the OP here has exactly the right approach: do a bit of research, know of a few problem/solutions and be ready to provide these, with the disclaimer that he's not a coach so it'll be a bit of teamwork to find the right fit. I can't fault that at all.

I got some 20b 21g carts called "Amber" because they were cheap and after delivery of 1000 discovered they have a picture of a girl on the box!! Doesn't make me feel very manly when I'm at AGL but I hit 5 pairs in a row with them last time so they can't be bad ,my back is busted up but I seem a lot better with 21g 20b than I ever was with 28g 12's in my silver pig

I got some 20b 21g carts called "Amber" because they were cheap and after delivery of 1000 discovered they have a picture of a girl on the box!! Doesn't make me feel very manly when I'm at AGL but I hit 5 pairs in a row with them last time so they can't be bad ,my back is busted up but I seem a lot better with 21g 20b than I ever was with 28g 12's in my silver pig

They must be ELEY AMBER cartridges, that girl on the front is amber hill she won the 2013 BBC young sports personality of the year award, she also won gold in the 2015 world cup finals in cyprus last year. brilliant example of a female shooter

All spot on, apart from the fact that not ALL ladies want to mix up with the 'chelsea and pink' or whatever it is that is trendy at the moment. A lady can pretty much come up with the solution to all 3 problems, and speak her own mind -- even if it's not necessarily 'the' best idea. I think the OP here has exactly the right approach: do a bit of research, know of a few problem/solutions and be ready to provide these, with the disclaimer that he's not a coach so it'll be a bit of teamwork to find the right fit. I can't fault that at all.

I've never been to the Chelsea Bun club or Femme Fatales for that matter but let's not knock organisations that are encouraging a lot of ladies to try a male dominated sport in an environment they feel very comfortable with. It's not for every body but they both have lots of supporters. Let's also try not to make out that the only reason women are joining is because you think they like trendy ideas.

i'd like to think i can shoot but i'm far from a coach! a close friend who is putting on the day for us does a fair bit of coaching.

11th of june is actually my birthday so that might be worth a look.

If they like the first go it's a really good next event. No minimum standard, guns provided, and if you go to Eriswell there is a fantastic pub in Lakenheath for food afterwards. It's a bit cheaper than a usual day.

Sneery comments about pink aside, it's the most effective channel of getting women into shooting that I've ever come across. There are other similar ventures but this is IMO the nicest and friendliest. After all it's the friends that get you going out shooting again. But check out LASS. They have events in the area too. I've not been to one as they are pricier and only do 40 clays (we have a 75 bird comp for the experienced groups).

I've never been to the Chelsea Bun club or Femme Fatales for that matter but let's not knock organisations that are encouraging a lot of ladies to try a male dominated sport in an environment they feel very comfortable with. It's not for every body but they both have lots of supporters. Let's also try not to make out that the only reason women are joining is because you think they like trendy ideas.

Thank you, Sian. The idea of me doing anything trendy is hilarious. I go for the clay shooting, the top class coaching, the craic and the cake. I've been coached by world class shooters and visited amazing grounds and shoots. Dismissing the whole thing because the rosettes are pink is really pretty sexist.

If they like the first go it's a really good next event. No minimum standard, guns provided, and if you go to Eriswell there is a fantastic pub in Lakenheath for food afterwards. It's a bit cheaper than a usual day.

Sneery comments about pink aside, it's the most effective channel of getting women into shooting that I've ever come across. There are other similar ventures but this is IMO the nicest and friendliest. After all it's the friends that get you going out shooting again. But check out LASS. They have events in the area too. I've not been to one as they are pricier and only do 40 clays (we have a 75 bird comp for the experienced groups).

I was not making sneery comments -- my wife did. Have you looked at their 'badge'?

On the other hand you single handedly decided to rubbish the efforts of the OP and everyone else who provided helpful answers here by just declaring that the 'men' wouldn't be able to mansplain stuff properly, the silly apes.

To be fair mate i've had a look at the event and it looks very good.

she hasn't even been shooting yet and is already talking the talk so i'm sure it will be something she will enjoy.

Thank you, Sian. The idea of me doing anything trendy is hilarious. I go for the clay shooting, the top class coaching, the craic and the cake. I've been coached by world class shooters and visited amazing grounds and shoots. Dismissing the whole thing because the rosettes are pink is really pretty sexist.

I am with you and Sian. :good:

And yes when I coach on these days I wear Pink :lol: .

Edited by bakerboy

I was not making sneery comments -- my wife did. Have you looked at their 'badge'?

On the other hand you single handedly decided to rubbish the efforts of the OP and everyone else who provided helpful answers here by just declaring that the 'men' wouldn't be able to mansplain stuff properly, the silly apes.

Forget the rosettes that's not really the point. World class shooters like Cheryl Hall coach on these days and I think she will forgive me for saying she is not a girly girl. While we are at it so many times I'm afraid there are lots of comments when it comes to lady shooters on here that just personify the image that women can't manage anything other than a pea shooter. Lady shooter s with experience comment and it's just brushed off - it does become a bit annoying sometimes.

Forget the rosettes that's not really the point. World class shooters like Cheryl Hall coach on these days and I think she will forgive me for saying she is not a girly girl. While we are at it so many times I'm afraid there are lots of comments when it comes to lady shooters on here that just personify the image that women can't manage anything other than a pea shooter. Lady shooter s with experience comment and it's just brushed off - it does become a bit annoying sometimes.

I can understand that; I'm sure you can understand that some men don't necessarily would do that either -- generalisations, either way, doesn't help! I think this topic was very nice until it was expected the Ladies to Report to the Ladies day or else...

I think you have misread my post. OP has a plan, I suggested a follow up. I used the word rubbish to the suggestion about women with large breast finding it difficult to shoot and I'm entitled and privileged to do so. I have no idea where you think I'm rubbishing other helpful answers. Just because someone can shoot doesn't mean they can coach, I never suggested that was anything to do with gender, that's your projection. Nearly all the coaches in shooting are men.

Yes, I've seen the S&CBC badge. I've been going to their events since before I had my own gun. It's a badge. The guns are black and brown, the cartridges are black and gold, the clays are black and orange. If anyone doesn't want to hang out with us because we have a pink badge and pink is for yucky weak girlies that's their loss.

I can understand that; I'm sure you can understand that some men don't necessarily would do that either -- generalisations, either way, doesn't help! I think this topic was very nice until it was expected the Ladies to Report to the Ladies day or else...

I do understand generalisation of which we are all guilty at some time or another is not helpful but I do think you have misinterpreted Ehb102's comments on Ladies Day as being bossy when really its an enthusiastic "go for it" comment. I do hope also you don't take this in the wrong manner and it is offered in good spirit but your wife's example of unfortunate bruising just goes to show that 20b are not always the best thing. Gun mount does need to be fairly solid but she certainly would not get the same kick out of a 12b and soft cartridge as she is getting from the 20b. I often shoot 500 or more cartridges in a day and yes I am experienced now and my gun mount is very sound but I feel no pain and have never bruised even at the beginning of my shooting and that is using 28g cartridges with my 12b.

I hope the OP and his friends have a lovely time and that the ladies think they might like to get some more of that.

I do understand generalisation of which we are all guilty at some time or another is not helpful but I do think you have misinterpreted Ehb102's comments on Ladies Day as being bossy when really its an enthusiastic "go for it" comment. I do hope also you don't take this in the wrong manner and it is offered in good spirit but your wife's example of unfortunate bruising just goes to show that 20b are not always the best thing. Gun mount does need to be fairly solid but she certainly would not get the same kick out of a 12b and soft cartridge as she is getting from the 20b. I often shoot 500 or more cartridges in a day and yes I am experienced now and my gun mount is very sound but I feel no pain and have never bruised even at the beginning of my shooting and that is using 28g cartridges with my 12b.

I hope the OP and his friends have a lovely time and that the ladies think they might like to get some more of that.

Amen to that -thanks for the clarification- for my wife's, she's quite short (5 foot +) and we definitely tried to find a 12g she can carry, but it's just too much weight to balance at the minute. She's working on it in the gym ;-) in the meantime it's 20g -- with the added recoil that implies... But she's having a blast, even with the odd bruising; so that all that matters in the end...

A couple of instructors mentioned that a semi-auto is not a very good idea for starting to shoot (due to the fact it's fairly easy to forget a cartridge is in). We had a look at the newish Benelli 828U that promises OU, lightweight and low recoil, but there are conflicting reports on that last point. Also, it seems to be made of Unobtainium! Do you know of alternatives?

I've seen more women hurt/put off shooting with 12 bores than small bores. It all to do with fit and suitability not bore.

I've a good mount and probably mount a gun more often than most people. However yesterday I fired a 12 bore with 24g cartridges for a lady and have a sore jaw, however I regularly shoot my 28 bore hundreds of times with no bruising. Why did this little (5' if I'm generous) ladies gun bruise me well the stock was around 13" lop and high combed, my gun 15 3/4" lop low in the comb. Give her my gun she'd be the bruised one.

WHEN TEACH PEOPLE TO SHOOT USE A SUITABLILY WELL FITTING GUN.

I do agree Welsh Warrior. I think I have seen more ladies put off by those "helping" them with the very best intentions just not paying enough attention to a suitable gun, helping them stand correctly, taking time over their mount ensuring the gun is placed well, looking at where their head is in relation to the stock and holding the gun for them whilst they discuss things. So many times seen people try to explain things to someone who is holding up the gun ready to shoot but not able to because they are been given some advice or other.

I've seen more women hurt/put off shooting with 12 bores than small bores. It all to do with fit and suitability not bore.

I've a good mount and probably mount a gun more often than most people. However yesterday I fired a 12 bore with 24g cartridges for a lady and have a sore jaw, however I regularly shoot my 28 bore hundreds of times with no bruising. Why did this little (5' if I'm generous) ladies gun bruise me well the stock was around 13" lop and high combed, my gun 15 3/4" lop low in the comb. Give her my gun she'd be the bruised one.

WHEN TEACH PEOPLE TO SHOOT USE A SUITABLILY WELL FITTING GUN.

15 3/4" lop?? You must have arms like a gorilla!!