Looking for pigeon shooters

Mulligrub

If you already have a game shoot do none of the beaters/ picker ups want as a reward for beating/picking up want some of the pigeon shooting??.

It could be a farmer run shoot where they invite and get invited to small farmer run shoots where most of the beaters are family and friends.

Having said that I was surprised they do-not have neighbouring farmers that have safe reliable shooters that they could recommend.

It will take a bit of common sense between you to sort it out. You will know where the damage is happening and advise the shooters. Before they get set up they MUST show a valid cert, current insurance and supply you with copies for record purposes and not allowed to shoot unless they do. They should be told this in advance so that there is no misunderstanding. They should be allowed to set up where they want to and to move position if necessary. They should be told not to drive on the fields. Only one person per hide.( you don't want any silly accidents )(it does happen unfortunately ). Not to damage stuff and to not leave litter and cartridge cases all over the place. Some people just eject cases and leave them all over the place. Don't forget that these blokes are doing you a favour in protecting your crops at their expense for you and a bit of give and take goes a long way. It wouldn't hurt you to offer a few cartridges for the job. You may well make long term friendships with spin offs such as the trade skills that they may have. It is always good to have friends that are another pair of eyes out on the land. I had a really good relationship with a farmer who let us go when we wanted 24/7 and supplied wheat for us to feed the duck pond with. Between us shooters there was always someone that was out on the land and he had no problems with the unwanted types.

You'll sort it out. And even if they don't shoot every pigeon out of the sky the blighters will be kept off of the crop until it gets up and away.

PS what have you done before?

Not sure he should be taking copies of shotgun certs. If they fall into tbe wrong hands someone will have a nice list of properties with firearms inside.

Not sure he should be taking copies of shotgun certs. If they fall into tbe wrong hands someone will have a nice list of properties with firearms inside.

+1

David has a point there!! Copies stored by a farmer or persons allowing shooting permission would possibly breach data protection and is a current cause for concern for BASC.

The latest BASC magazine has an article around inappropriate storing of license copies (page 8 Warning to Clubs on gun data security) syndicates & wildfowling clubs etc are being warned NOT to keep copies and if they do have current info destroy it ASAP. They also reckon that providing the info may cause the license holder to be charged with an offence and have their license revoked in the event of a theft!!

If I were granting the permission I would ask to see the insurance cover not copy it and have current address and contact numbers.

I think the recent sad story re George Digweed strikes a bit of a note. If criminals know stuff is there and they want it badly they will come get it.

Edited by Andra

My apologies again for starting this thread and then immediately abandoning it. Life took over (and mother and baby are doing very well).

I'm pleased to have received a number of private messages from people indicating their willingness to come along and do some pigeon shooting on the farm. I'll be replying individually to these messages in due course, but wanted to post something here in the mean time just to say that I'm not ignoring them.

My plan is to run a group pigeon shoot on Saturday next weekend (or Sunday, if the weather looks likely to be much better when we get nearer to it), and I'll be inviting some of those who have contacted me to come along. This would seem a sensible way to meet up and show some of you around, and we can take it from there. I shall have to repeat the exercise so please stand by if I don't contact you initially.

Thanks again for your interest.

M.

P.S. Good point about insurance documents. Sight of document will suffice- no need for a kept copy.

We're having an afternoon of pigeon shooting on the farm tomorrow (Sunday), from about 3.00pm until 6.30pm. The plan is to have guns stationed at certain places throughout the estate to get the birds up and moving about and to roost shoot in the woods. Please PM me if you'd like to come along.

We're having an afternoon of pigeon shooting on the farm tomorrow (Sunday), from about 3.00pm until 6.30pm. The plan is to have guns stationed at certain places throughout the estate to get the birds up and moving about and to roost shoot in the woods. Please PM me if you'd like to come along.

I read this too late, I'm afraid. You have my number.

Edited by rjimmer

So pleased to hear the news matey! Well done :good: Hope baby and parents are all good :D

It sounds like you should get a lot of interest in your proposition! I think insurances are a wise move, it does not make the shooter and more, or less responsible! But will cover any eventualities that may arise, if there is an incident. Free carts is not something I have heard of before :no: A good relationship, YES! Maybe the odd cuppa, or a natter before or after the shoot! In some cases an invite to a family meal. Even a small gift at Christmas! But then that's only because I have never heard of it. It doesn't mean it does not happen! Personally, if I lived down your way, I would have contacted you, I would also have offered to help around the farm as a thankyou. But I guess each to their own eh? If this is your first child! Then enjoy sir! And enjoy every moment, as they grow up far too quick. ATB