flappers

digger

Back to the subject, yes I have a flapper think it is a great piece of kit, it dont spook like a rotary, it draws the birds CLOSE its light and easy to set up, although I use some thin rubber tubing on the wing arms to stop the wings coming off the pins, I have actually had asparrow hawk come on to my flapper nearly shot the sod thought it was a woody I hadn't seen coming in? things are expensive though

if they could knock em out cheaper i would have a couple more in a heartbeat

cheers

kdubya alias monkey hanger

mine has three settings,timed apart. i.e every thirty seconds five wing beats,same a minute apart and same two mins apart.flaps fairly slowly,slower than a bird coming into the decoys,bout the same as one flying into a moderate wind.it draws in birds much closer than a magnet and if i could pull like my flapper does id be a happy man ! :D

Digger,

Where did you get your flapper from?

I have heard many good comments about the electronic flappers they sound ideal for me as I have to carry my equipment miles across fields and a small battery is perfect for loosing overall weight, and considering I may also require a large number of cartridges, weight is crucial :D

thanks Anthony

I have a home made flapper, made by my Gramp, it is a series of levers and pulleys and is operated by a length of fishing line tied to a foot pedal stuck in the ground

It is a bit Heath Robinson and he said it was invented in Egypt where he was stationed in WW2 and used to attract sand grouse and other birds.

I have only used it once, probably because it is bloody useless! :D<_<

unfortunately my gizmo ie flapper set me back £125 not sodding cheap admitted that was with the battery and a timer/ speed control unit, now whilst I am the first to winge at the price I have to take my hat off as to its effectiveness, birds will land happily next to this thing, where as my rotary makes em VERY jittery albiet jittery but in range?? if someone could get these down to a reasonable price I reckon 3 or four would be DEADLY ie to much pull to resist, gonna try mine on a bouncer tommorrow plenty of birds about hoping for a good day

cheers K

Now then sniper,

I did indeed go out and try the flapper on one of my bouncer poles, my opinion is that it is not as effective as when the flapper is on the ground, plenty of birds came over and indeed came in for a look? but none actually commited as they do with the flapper ground mounted, had much better results when I went back to two bouncers/floaters and the flapper set to the front of the pattern, might have been a spoof day mind? wind was howling and from an unusual direction

cheers K

I had one made by a friend that he copied from someone else.

It relied on a lot of solder, to hold the wires together.

We were out one very slow day.... a large flock, of the only pigeons we had seen, appeared to be passing us by..... my mate pulled the 50lb breaking strain fishing line as hard as he could, to attract them....... the flapper was going mental, almost taking off.....the pigeons took no notice.....so he pulled it even harder..........and it fell completely to pieces. :huh:

We never worked out how to put it back together again. :huh: