VULTURE

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biker to biker here. Sorry I'd be telling you the same as he did but this is my opinion sorry.

I always carry my helmet but also I wear mine with a few chips in anyway. Your meant to replace after a crash really as the internal she'll gets damaged unlike a 18" fall . ( others will disagree I know)

I managed to split a lid in two on the outer shell. I hit a tree in a race lol. Damaged my hearing for years.

I guess it's lesson learned the hard way

Edited by team tractor

Well i think you are moraly in the right after all he did physicaly cause the helmet to fall off by pushing past it where there was barely enough room, but getting any where with regards compensation i think is just not practical and not worth the effort.

Just think you have to put it down to one of lifes experiencesand move on.

I must say if you esspecialy vallue the helmet you could have passed the strap through the frame and fastened it, but hindsight is a wonderfull thing and envissaging this probably not that obvious as you parked tight to the bank and the helmet was bank side.

Being flipant to save it happening again take off the indicators mudguards mirrors anything hard tail it and fit a 15 inch rear wheel and cross ply tyre. then you wont have much to hang your hellmet on then. :lol:

Like Keg i'm staggered that a drop of less than 2 feet would render a helmet useless, especially if only falling onto gravel and turf.

If £400 lids are made of such material that they would incur a fracture that would compromise the integrity of the helmet for such a small drop then I am trully stunned.

As for your question, I think Falcon summed it up well, it's a bit of blame on both sides and some times bad luck happens.

If a simple accident such as this means an insurance claim or other private court action then we all need 3rd party liability insurance.

Like Keg i'm staggered that a drop of less than 2 feet would render a helmet useless, especially if only falling onto gravel and turf.

If £400 lids are made of such material that they would incur a fracture that would compromise the integrity of the helmet for such a small drop then I am trully stunned.

As for your question, I think Falcon summed it up well, it's a bit of blame on both sides and some times bad luck happens.

If a simple accident such as this means an insurance claim or other private court action then we all need 3rd party liability insurance.

Pollycarbonate helmets are pretty common place have been years, some say no stickers paint or scratches but if this is true or not i dont know. I all ways have bell stars had the one i have now since 1980, had the leather repaired and replaced but its still the same skull. Fibre glass ones like the bell are reparable sprayable etc but not so much with polly helmets i was informed.

I am just staggered that something you would trust your life to can be so fragile that a teeny bump would make it unsafe.

I don't doubt you at all in your understanding of these things, i'm really just thinking out loud how absurd it is that such a trivial thing could make such a critical bit of safety equipment useless.

Hi. I have plenty of witnesses,

anyhow the the question I asked was "am I in the wrong to ask for compensation", not how to or who's at fault, on saying that I would offer to pay for a new helmet if did the same.

Cheers

I am just staggered that something you would trust your life to can be so fragile that a teeny bump would make it unsafe.

I don't doubt you at all in your understanding of these things, i'm really just thinking out loud how absurd it is that such a trivial thing could make such a critical bit of safety equipment useless.

A good quality bike helmet is actually very strong. It`s not so much that a small drop will make the helmet unsafe, it`s that it might make it unsafe. Your lid being the major piece of safety equipment you wear, do you really want to take any chances that it might be compromised?

Hi. I have plenty of witnesses,

anyhow the the question I asked was "am I in the wrong to ask for compensation", not how to or who's at fault, on saying that I would offer to pay for a new helmet if did the same.

Cheers

No i dont think you are technicaly in the wrong.

And no i do not think you will get a judgement against him, dont care how many others will stand by you.

Trust me here , just walk away and LEARN.

Hi. Made a mistake the Helmet was £300 not £400 as I stated earlier ,it's a Davida jet, I have email the company a picture of the damage to see what they say .

Pretty sure they will say it's knackered and to buy a new one.

That's not how it works, if someone has damaged something they're liable, regardless of whether it should or shouldn't have been there.

But, i think it coud be a stretch all things considered and i'm assuming all the witnesses are friend or aquaintances of some description?

you are in the right regardless of where you put the crash helmet it was stationary and he knocked it off

I doubt if he will pay for another one and an insurance claim seems to be the only option left you would win this case but as said above you will have a claim on your record and your premium will go up every year for the next five years

for the op that commented on only a short drop I can see where you are coming from I am a biker and have been for 48 years and have dropped my crash helmet a few times and scuffed it and not worried but all manifactures recommend if you drop it from any height replace it I know its just a way to gain more sales but there we are

if you don't want to claim to be honest I would use the crash helmet anyway they are so well made nowdays I doubt if any structural damage has been done and if you did have a bad accident and landed on your head an £800 pound scuffed crash helmet its going to give you more protection than a £200 new one

Never in the field of human communication has so much gonads been talked about crash helmets by so few to so many.

There are £20 helmets out there that have a higher SHARP rating than helmets costing many hundreds of pounds!

I have a helmet which has an ACU gold sticker, so cleared for racing, has a 4 out of 5 star SHARP rating and delivered cost me £20, inc carriage. It has a higher SHARP safety rating than helmets costing 15 or 20 times as much. My crash helmet was bought new, from an English retailer who has been involved in the sale of motorcycles since 1929 A.D. so they won't be passing off hookie rubbish on the public as they have a heck of a reputation to lose.

Edited by secretagentmole