.308 for lamping foxes

Anyone use this calibre for lamping foxes? Or would you get something a bit flatter shooting like a .223 or 22-250 for this particular job?

I know it really should be fine and not matter, but I can't help but feel .308 is a hell of a lot of power to loose off into the darkness when you can't see as much as in the day.

Have used 243 a lot for lamping, can't fault it's effectiveness, can't speak for .308 but the biggest problem I see with the larger calibres is noise. The 243 sets all the dogs off barking for a mile around and it's obvious what has gone off, even with a moderator. Whereas the 223 we also use is possibly quieter, if not a different noise to my 17, this combined with the lesser recoil helps with being a bit stealthy but also allows you keep on target and watch what is happening. Safety wise, as said a safe shot is a safe shot no matter the caliber

Have used 243 a lot for lamping, can't fault it's effectiveness, can't speak for .308 but the biggest problem I see with the larger calibres is noise. The 243 sets all the dogs off barking for a mile around and it's obvious what has gone off, even with a moderator. Whereas the 223 we also use is possibly quieter, if not a different noise to my 17, this combined with the lesser recoil helps with being a bit stealthy but also allows you keep on target and watch what is happening. Safety wise, as said a safe shot is a safe shot no matter the caliber

Good productive answer there cheers mate. I hadn't even considered the noise factor.

In terms of he safety issue. I'm aware a backstop is a backstop, what I was getting at was the lesser recoil allowing me to stay on target in the dark seems a particularly desirable feature at night.

Edited by Guest

Definitely recoil/muzzle blast is a big factor. With 223 both of us can usually see the fox drop, and if it's still moving or whatever, but with 243 got to trust the lamp man to keep the lamp on the spot and wait for the thud. Noise is maybe more important for me than others due to hunt politics (the landowner says no foxes shot, his son says thin them out a little bit but keep it subtle!)

Definitely recoil/muzzle blast is a big factor. With 223 both of us can usually see the fox drop, and if it's still moving or whatever, but with 243 got to trust the lamp man to keep the lamp on the spot and wait for the thud. Noise is maybe more important for me than others due to hunt politics (the landowner says no foxes shot, his son says thin them out a little bit but keep it subtle!)

Ha! I'm in a similar position in that the landowners want foxes shot but the neighbours are a bunch of freaks who hate shooting (fair enough), but also like to kick off with shooters.

You can download a .308 to a whisper using 12 grains of unique with a 150 grn bullet and its still very effective on foxes out to 100yds plus and very accurate too.

With a moderator it sounds like an air rifle

different point of impact though compared to full loads

Edited by Vince Green

What calibre do you lamp with and why?

22lr eley sub quiet and in close, 223rem 55g win soft point for general lamping and wandering and 308 win 180g soft point as mood takes when setting up to cover a fixed point (a bit heavy to cart about) but useful for shooting into whin/gorse on steep slopes as bullet will not deflect very much if it catches a twig.

.308 is a versatile round 115 grain bergers are a good bullet if you want to develop a flat shooting vermin killer.

Myself i would look at the .708 similar over all performance but with 7mm bullets 100 and 120s in the .708 are ideal for flat shooting rounds.

You can download a .308 to a whisper using 12 grains of unique with a 150 grn bullet and its still very effective on foxes out to 100yds plus and very accurate too.

With a moderator it sounds like an air rifle

different point of impact though compared to full loads

This is a very valid point.

Yeah, I'm quite keen to avoid having different zeros for different rounds though.

It ain't going to happen.

Good productive answer there cheers mate. I hadn't even considered the noise factor.

what I was getting at was the lesser recoil allowing me to stay on target in the dark seems a particularly desirable feature at night.

If you miss with a 308 Charlie will be in the next county by time that you get to recover position and there is the cost of lead to consider. Get a smaller gun.

Getting a smaller gun seems to be the way forward, (new guns, always). I've done variations before however have a question.

I have land already cleared for .308 including fox. To get .223 on that land do I need to fill out that permission form with the landowner again? Or can I just ask for it as it's essentially a step down from what I'm already cleared for?

It's simple you won't get one unless you shoot deer , I do have mine down for foxing but it's not my first choice, that would be my .2506

Deershooter

At a squeze you could just about do everything really efficiently in the uk with a .2506. If i were to give up all my rifle but one i would keep the .2506.

Doesn't matter if 22lr or 50bmg, a safe backstop is a safe backstop.

Don't like to contradict members in normal circumstances, but this statement is glib and open to misinterpretation. As it relates to safety, I recommend all members to ignore it.

I used my old 7-08 Rem a time or two with 140 grain bullets

It's definitely the wrong tool for the job in many / most areas it's an extra safety factor that is not needed to be added into the risks

Contrary to what many say 50 bmg needs a considerable amount more care with backstop and backdrop selection than a 243

308 is however no more in report than a 243 as it's the same case. The 243 is one of the most popular foxing rifles in the UK

I sold all my bigger calibres ( ie above 6 mm) a number of years back they have no purpose for me above what a 243 can do ( all UK deer and vermin)

Lamping even here on the fells I don't often take the 243 unless it's windy because 200 yards is long enough at night and you can do that with the smallest of the cf rifles

You can feed a 308 a hell of a lot of 123gr bullets compared to the cost of another rifle, scope, ammo

My uncle had one rifle

BSA majestic in .270

Can't tell you how many foxes it accounted for in day and night

If you can shoot a .223, .243 at night you can shoot a .308

Drop difference at most night foxing ranges is negligible between ANY centrefire that is not pushing up around 4000fps or more

Certainly smaller than most people can shoot

Unless you want another rifle use what you know.

A moderated 308 is no louder than a moderated .243

It's the same case!