Semi auto left or right

winnie&bezza

Never really used an auto but I did have a browning silver once but didn't really use it. Been thinking of joining the semi auto club and have been looking at maxus, sx3 and benelli m2. Being a leftie (left eye dominant but right handed) there aren't any leftie sx3 or maxus but their are benelli lefties. Question is how many shoot a right handed auto left handed? What about the chance of flashback out of the port? Or no need to worry?

I've never done it but a leftie mate shot one for a long time. He never had any issues.

I can imagine it would be rare but still. Can't understand why browning and Winchester haven't made leftie autos. I suppose the fact they haven't means they don't see any dangers of anything happening.

I shot a r/hand semi auto for a couple of years and I'm a leftie.

Never had any real problems although every now and again there was a big flash of flame out of the ejection port (which was exciting!) so I always wore glasses when shooting. Other than that, it's fine but I have moved to a leftie gun when a bargain came up...

Beretta now do a lefty auto

:shaun:

Do they! Which one is that?

Dont buy a lefty M2 truely dreadful gun

Really? Why's that?

I shot a r/hand semi auto for a couple of years and I'm a leftie.

Never had any real problems although every now and again there was a big flash of flame out of the ejection port (which was exciting!) so I always wore glasses when shooting. Other than that, it's fine but I have moved to a leftie gun when a bargain came up...

Exciting and no eyelashes and eyebrows left haha. I wouldn't always want to wear glasses though.

I am left handed shooter have had left handed Remingtons and Benelli SBe, there is little difference in use, the alleged powder residue issue never really reared its head with me, worth mentioning, and i still used 10ga semis at the time i had lefties just made no difference.

If you can get a left hand version of what you want if buying new at little if any expence then sure buy one, but i wont go out of my way for a left handed semi, because even if i got a new left hand tomorrow i would be using right handed semis amongst the other guns i use.

I'm a leftie, right eye dominant and I use a left hand benelli montefeltro and right handed hatsan and al391. Never hand an issue with ejecting shells. If anything I find the right handed guns easier to use. Largely due to the fact that I've owed right handed semis and the leftie is a recent edition. Rarely dear glasses and only had one incident whith spent powder in 20 years.

Shot today with a lefty armsan 612, about 3 second hand, and shoots flawlessly. Apparently franchi affinity also comes in left flavour, and is similarly inexpensive.

I wanted a benelli lefty, and tbh still do, but couldn't justify four times the price for a gun I'll mainly use because it's raining and I don't then have to strip and dry my beretta.

Shoot perfectly well with right hand semis, just for once wanted one that's lefty oriented.

Worth buying a cheaper lh semi-auto to try, and if it's a good fit for you, jump to the Italian masterpieces

Thanks all for comments and looks like I need not worry. I would ask what one is best at around £800 but I know it's been done to death.

The Beretta is one of the new A400 series, or an Outlander,

If it's an Outlander you will get a new one for your budget, if it's a 400 then you won't as they are to new,

If you are just going to buy a right hander then again a Beretta Outlander can be bought for £795 new with a 10 year warranty

Buy the M2 you can adjust the drop and cast with a shim, it will save any powder blowing back in the eyes when using a right handed..

M2 is a great gun Benelli are the leaders in semi autos.. inertia driven, very reliable and low maintenance...

good luck with what ever you choose...

Happy hunting

Edited by Terry2016

The Beretta is one of the new A400 series, or an Outlander,

If it's an Outlander you will get a new one for your budget, if it's a 400 then you won't as they are to new,

If you are just going to buy a right hander then again a Beretta Outlander can be bought for £795 new with a 10 year warranty

Cheers Shaun.

Buy the M2 you can adjust the drop and cast with a shim, it will save any powder blowing back in the eyes when using a right handed..

M2 is a great gun Benelli are the leaders in semi autos.. inertia driven, very reliable and low maintenance...

good luck with what ever you choose...

Happy hunting

To be honest that is the gun I'm leaning towards at the moment. Thanks.

Most semis are straight, so the only issue is the ejection. I used to have a l/h M2 and it was fine, but nowadays I've had - for some years - Remington autos and pumps, all right hand ejection, without any problems at all. In fact I've shot pretty well with them if I may say so lol.

Only thing, as has been said earlier, it's well worth wearing eye protection.

Thanks all for comments and looks like I need not worry. I would ask what one is best at around £800 but I know it's been done to death.

Versamax sportsman is what i would buy new in the 800 quid range, other options are Baikal mp153 and Winchester SX3 .

Most semis are straight, so the only issue is the ejection. I used to have a l/h M2 and it was fine, but nowadays I've had - for some years - Remington autos and pumps, all right hand ejection, without any problems at all. In fact I've shot pretty well with them if I may say so lol.

Only thing, as has been said earlier, it's well worth wearing eye protection.

With the benellis they are inertia driven so that should eliminate any gas fouling which would lead to flashback?

Versamax sportsman is what i would buy new in the 800 quid range, other options are Baikal mp153 and Winchester SX3 .

I don't mind buying secondhand either.

If you are going to use it for wildfowling I would advise getting a lefty. The flash in very poor light is much less obtrusive and affects your night vision less. Just my two penny worth.

David.

Don't do any wildfowling even though I would like to. More Clays and vermin. Good point though and something I wouldn't of thought of and I suppose same said for roost roosting in low light.

If you are going to use it for wildfowling I would advise getting a lefty. The flash in very poor light is much less obtrusive and affects your night vision less. Just my two penny worth.

David.

Well i can honestly say in 40 plus years of wildfowling much of this swith one semi auto or another, i have never had my vission in any way impaired by the flash from the port of a right handed semi auto when shooting it from the left shoulder.

Nor as it even one time distracted me in anyway.

I have had many makes and models in everything from .410 to 10ga. I have never had a problem.