Jump to content
WelshMike

Fox club

    Recommended Posts

    First night out foxing last night and got a milky vixen that had killed nearly 200 three week old ducks the night before. She was the earliest fox I have shot she was already in the duck pens at 9.15pm when I got there. Back home by 9.45 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    46 minutes ago, bornfree said:

    First night out foxing last night and got a milky vixen that had killed nearly 200 three week old ducks the night before. She was the earliest fox I have shot she was already in the duck pens at 9.15pm when I got there. Back home by 9.45 

    good work one costly fox 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 4/6/2018 at 18:32, FOXHUNTER1 said:

    Well done Mike. After stalking yesterday evening I had a look about with the lamp to see if there was any foxes about. 1st fox I shot at around 200 yds on a huge bank of gorse , could see it clearly lying dead in scope but after 1/2 an hour of searching in the dark I couldn't find it

    Next call pulled in a dog fox after only 3 mins

    u8jI53x.jpg

     

    :good:Nicely done Mark. 

    On 4/7/2018 at 12:22, bumpy22 said:

    good write up. we forgot to mention your lucky new shiny badge:no::yahoo:in all fairness i was amazed the amount of deer we saw last night without exaggeration i would say at least 40 roe deer on the estate and other farm. foxes are still going down and we should reach the half century soon. the problem will be when someone disappears to africa chasing baboons and god knows whatever else :hmm:

    :good:Nice work gents. I am shocked by how your brief report misses all of the fun and interesting points that Grant raises :lol:

    On 4/7/2018 at 20:55, bornfree said:

    First night out foxing last night and got a milky vixen that had killed nearly 200 three week old ducks the night before. She was the earliest fox I have shot she was already in the duck pens at 9.15pm when I got there. Back home by 9.45 

    Nicely done mate. I am dreading the opening of the pop holes at one of my permissions...55,000 free range chickens and every fox for miles.....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

    :good:Nicely done Mark. 

    :good:Nice work gents. I am shocked by how your brief report misses all of the fun and interesting points that Grant raises :lol:

    Nicely done mate. I am dreading the opening of the pop holes at one of my permissions...55,000 free range chickens and every fox for miles.....

    It must the foxes equivalent to a fat bloke finding a KFC that doesn't charge.😀

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    16 hours ago, bornfree said:

    It must the foxes equivalent to a fat bloke finding a KFC that doesn't charge.😀

    You know the feeling well mate. Fortunately the farmer has bought another farm down the road so I have a bit more ground to try and catch them on, the problem is that he has planning in for another couple of sheds...arrrggghhhh more daft chickens. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I had a call yesterday that a fox had killed a couple of chickens at one of the farms and had proceeded to eat one in full view of the farmer and he was able to get within 15 yards of the fox who seemed well aware he had no gun...cheeky swine. 

    I headed out with the lamp last night to see what I could find. I was met with drizzle and mist so a bit of fun and games. Spotted one fox pretty early on but difficult to get a shot. This farm is flat so all of the shooting is off the sticks so range is more of a consideration then usual. To cut a long story short there was a lot of fox chasing finally culminating in a shot at about 130 yards at which point the fox ran off. 

    As a result I was back at 7 this morning to see if it had returned for a morning taunt of the owners. I walked out to where I had shot at the fox and managed to find him about 50 yards from where he was stood when the shot was taken. The shot was straight in the boiler room with a 100 grain .243 round. I would have stood no chance of finding any signs last night as the corn was tall enough to obscure the fox in the dark. 

    I forgot how much more tricky lamping was compared to NV work....lots more fox chasing 

    Farmer was happy ... though I spotted another 1 as I was leaving with no chance of a shot so a little more to do. I am going to take my N750A off the .243 and put the Yukon on as the N750A will not focus.....hopefully Scott Country will get back to me soon...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Well, wasn't expecting to be going out after charlie again until the end of the summer, but it was not to be. All had been going well but a call yesterday saying that a fox had taken a lamb and killed another two on the big hill on Friday night meant I had to go out. In a way it was lucky it wasn't a week later; the Tikka's up for a bit of an overhaul and was just waiting on some parts from the States and Canada then it would have been out of commission for a while (the eagle-eyed will notice it's already supporting some new jewellery)

    Plan was to just do the big hill, but the farmer mentioned that another one had been spotted over by the quarry and was starting to get  a bit bold too. First port of call was the quarry, didn't even bother bringing the caller with me as I reckon it's more a hindrance than a help at this time of year, so plan was to just wait them out or walk to try and find them. No luck at the quarry in the first hour so made my way over the track that leads up to the big farm on the hill. Just came to the first fields and spot a fox down below me heading towards the lambing field. Gun on the post and a relatively straightforward shot put the first one down - dog fox.

    39658206000_5ca1273598_c.jpg

     

    Checked the rest of the lower fields but nothing else seen so headed back over to the quarry. Walking along the track that leads into it and spot a fox down by the edge of the lake. Gun on the bipod, another relatively straightforward 100 yard fox, this time a barren vixen. She'd been eating the remains of what looked like a long-dead cormorant.

     

    41423907262_08cda05294_c.jpg

     

    Had another sit and wait at the quarry but convinced myeslf that this was probably the one that had been seen, so after half an hour I went back down the track to check the lambing fields at the farm again. Nothing in the first group but as I came past the farm to the second group I spot a fox sitting in the big field, sat watching a group of ewes and lambs. A bit more challenging a shot, she was sat out at close to 200 yards, facing me so a narrow profile. There's a nice shooting position at this gateway though, a small rise allows me to sit on the bank and get the gun on the large gatepost with a nice steady hold. Got her in the scope and lined her up with a shot to the throat and dropped her stone dead. Always happy to nail the more difficult shots, and on inspection the round went straight on the spot where it was aimed. Another barren vixen.

     

    40752961024_9461f1be8b_c.jpg

     

    Hopefully that will be that now until August. Also quite relived I didn't orphan any dependent cubs. Gun's getting a new chassis, atlas bipod etc which will be starting to go on next week. Then I'll be putting the day scope on it for some testing to make sure everything's OK as far as grouping etc, then maybe some longer range crow/rabbit work over the summer with Strelok - one of the benefits of getting the MOA adjustment day scope on for a while.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Good to see you out Mike and still at them. 

    RS the foxes (if there are any left) are looking forward to your down time :lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    top work stu mike. christened new rifle on thursday night with a nice dog fox. but we did blank on friday night for a first time in ages. to be fair it was put down to Grant not have his badge on:no:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 4/15/2018 at 09:21, racing snake said:

    Well, wasn't expecting to be going out after charlie again until the end of the summer, but it was not to be. All had been going well but a call yesterday saying that a fox had taken a lamb and killed another two on the big hill on Friday night meant I had to go out. In a way it was lucky it wasn't a week later; the Tikka's up for a bit of an overhaul and was just waiting on some parts from the States and Canada then it would have been out of commission for a while (the eagle-eyed will notice it's already supporting some new jewellery)

    Plan was to just do the big hill, but the farmer mentioned that another one had been spotted over by the quarry and was starting to get  a bit bold too. First port of call was the quarry, didn't even bother bringing the caller with me as I reckon it's more a hindrance than a help at this time of year, so plan was to just wait them out or walk to try and find them. No luck at the quarry in the first hour so made my way over the track that leads up to the big farm on the hill. Just came to the first fields and spot a fox down below me heading towards the lambing field. Gun on the post and a relatively straightforward shot put the first one down - dog fox.

    39658206000_5ca1273598_c.jpg

     

    Checked the rest of the lower fields but nothing else seen so headed back over to the quarry. Walking along the track that leads into it and spot a fox down by the edge of the lake. Gun on the bipod, another relatively straightforward 100 yard fox, this time a barren vixen. She'd been eating the remains of what looked like a long-dead cormorant.

     

    41423907262_08cda05294_c.jpg

     

    Had another sit and wait at the quarry but convinced myeslf that this was probably the one that had been seen, so after half an hour I went back down the track to check the lambing fields at the farm again. Nothing in the first group but as I came past the farm to the second group I spot a fox sitting in the big field, sat watching a group of ewes and lambs. A bit more challenging a shot, she was sat out at close to 200 yards, facing me so a narrow profile. There's a nice shooting position at this gateway though, a small rise allows me to sit on the bank and get the gun on the large gatepost with a nice steady hold. Got her in the scope and lined her up with a shot to the throat and dropped her stone dead. Always happy to nail the more difficult shots, and on inspection the round went straight on the spot where it was aimed. Another barren vixen.

     

    40752961024_9461f1be8b_c.jpg

     

    Hopefully that will be that now until August. Also quite relived I didn't orphan any dependent cubs. Gun's getting a new chassis, atlas bipod etc which will be starting to go on next week. Then I'll be putting the day scope on it for some testing to make sure everything's OK as far as grouping etc, then maybe some longer range crow/rabbit work over the summer with Strelok - one of the benefits of getting the MOA adjustment day scope on for a while.

    Good work mate. I did think the rifle was looking a little bit flash...I though that you had sold all of the organs that you could live without and your kids so how can you afford these extra bits :lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, racing snake said:

    Cheers Mike. Just the bolt handle so far. Atlas BT10 arrived today but twiddling my thumbs waiting for rest of gear before that can go on.

    Thats going to be one snazzy bit of kit. I have had to take my N750A off the .243 as it wont focus and put the Photon Yukon on as I know there are some "wary" foxes on a couple of permissions and given the 50,000 odd chickens that will soon be let out I need to get them dealt with. I had a few shots last night to get it zeroed and it is good to go. Lets see what the end of the week brings. Enjoy your fishing months mate. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

    Thats going to be one snazzy bit of kit. I have had to take my N750A off the .243 as it wont focus and put the Photon Yukon on as I know there are some "wary" foxes on a couple of permissions and given the 50,000 odd chickens that will soon be let out I need to get them dealt with. I had a few shots last night to get it zeroed and it is good to go. Lets see what the end of the week brings. Enjoy your fishing months mate. 

    Best of luck with the Photon. Cheers mate, I'll be sure to drop in now and again though. :good:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, racing snake said:

    Fox gun overhaul complete. Taken the Drone off for the summer to do some other stuff. Next time it goes back on it'll be fox time again.

    40849111854_8e215dfe3b_c.jpg

    Tidy stu. Pm inbound need some ideas on a drone a mate has bought

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, racing snake said:

    Fox gun overhaul complete. Taken the Drone off for the summer to do some other stuff. Next time it goes back on it'll be fox time again.

    40849111854_8e215dfe3b_c.jpg

    Very nice. Yum I want one. Foxes look out

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    another 2 last night with new t3x and ward. but did struggle a bit without the main man. he needs to stop having holidays:no: tried a xq30 spotter last night which was good bit of kit for the money. also had a look through a drone pro 15x which was very impressive

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Nice looking gun that Stu, bet you can't wait to get out and put it through its paces!

    So you ended up with a new gun after all then Ed! How does the T3x compare to the T3 then? Good to see your still getting a few. It's been quiet round here with not many fox sightings lately, which is good as I'm only just properly mobile after hurting my back a few weeks ago :unhappy:. Will try and get out next week to have a look around to see what's lurking in the dark!!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, Strongman said:

    Nice looking gun that Stu, bet you can't wait to get out and put it through its paces!

    So you ended up with a new gun after all then Ed! How does the T3x compare to the T3 then? Good to see your still getting a few. It's been quiet round here with not many fox sightings lately, which is good as I'm only just properly mobile after hurting my back a few weeks ago . Will try and get out next week to have a look around to see what's lurking in the dark!!

    It's ok for some on here splashing the cash 😁

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Strongman said:

    Nice looking gun that Stu, bet you can't wait to get out and put it through its paces!

    So you ended up with a new gun after all then Ed! How does the T3x compare to the T3 then? Good to see your still getting a few. It's been quiet round here with not many fox sightings lately, which is good as I'm only just properly mobile after hurting my back a few weeks ago :unhappy:. Will try and get out next week to have a look around to see what's lurking in the dark!!

    no difference really richard just fancied something new.in all fairness i think any of those tikka will shoot aswell out of the box as anything on the market. sounds daft i know. got my eye on themal xq30 spotter next which i have used recently. not as good as Grants xq38 but certainly good enough

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Out tonight on the High seats, myself and Lloyd90 set up on a farm. I saw three pheasants and a canada... 

    Lloyd msgd me to say he was losing feeling in his body due to the cutting wind, and that his end was empty. Then the phone fell silent and a few monutes later Boooom and thud, then a text saying something along lines of 'I think I missed'... I heard the plop from the other side of farm thanks to the wind.. 

     

    IMG_20180422_WA0002.jpg
    DSC_1561.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 4/19/2018 at 16:48, racing snake said:

    Fox gun overhaul complete. Taken the Drone off for the summer to do some other stuff. Next time it goes back on it'll be fox time again.

    40849111854_8e215dfe3b_c.jpg

    Thats one smart looking bit of kit mate, enjoy :good:

    11 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

    Out tonight on the High seats, myself and Lloyd90 set up on a farm. I saw three pheasants and a canada... 

    Lloyd msgd me to say he was losing feeling in his body due to the cutting wind, and that his end was empty. Then the phone fell silent and a few monutes later Boooom and thud, then a text saying something along lines of 'I think I missed'... I heard the plop from the other side of farm thanks to the wind.. 

     

    IMG_20180422_WA0002.jpg
    DSC_1561.jpg

    Nicely done gents. 

    On 4/21/2018 at 18:28, bumpy22 said:

    another 2 last night with new t3x and ward. but did struggle a bit without the main man. he needs to stop having holidays tried a xq30 spotter last night which was good bit of kit for the money. also had a look through a drone pro 15x which was very impressive

    Well done Ed. 

    I spent all weekend digging foundations....oh the joy :lol:...and I now need to spend £500 to fill them back in..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi All,

    Not posted here for what seems ages; work-weather and three weeks of Jury Service have have made an incredibly busy few weeks for me.I have been out, as Lambing and turning out the Lambs to pasture has, of course, been in full swing. Five more on my tally since last post near end of Feb.

    Had a call middle of last week, from a great chap who has passed my number on and created a few new perms for me. He had seen a fox in his paddocks three nights running about 11pm. Unfortunately he had lit him up with the lamp a couple of times, resulting in one very jittery fox! he kindly left out a bantam carcass far end of the paddock; but I drew blank on the first visit. Anyway, worked a bit of overtime last night 6pm to midnight; then kitted up and out on the prowl.

    IMG_1799.JPG.b17e38c91660d782e85d8bb94bd149b6.JPG 

    As soon as I pulled up in the lay-by, a quick scan with the Helion showed an unmistakeable luminous white shape hunkered down tight to the far hedge :yes: 

    I get the Rifle and Sticks out the back of my motor, and creep through the hedge - thankfully not creating a disturbance.. the fox is pre occupied with something under the hedge, and I am able to creep round for my favourite side on chest shot with the trusty .17 Hornet. On closer inspection I have dropped a very silvery looking dry vixen. She was eating her way through a Cock Pheasant, and not far from the pile of feathers from the Bantam left out a couple of nights previous. Perm owner will be pleased, and as always I am glad to have produced the goods on a callout job.

    Back across the lane to a neighbouring perm, and a field full of sheep ends up giving me a headache! every now and again a Lamb will break into a sprint and catch my eye through the thermal, but no reynard to be seen. I fall into the 'just five more minutes/one more scan' trap that we all know!! almost an hour passes. Suddenly off to my right a fox pops out unexpectedly from the heavy cover, and zigzags nose to the ground towards me 30 metres and closing - I am out of the shadows and feel exposed despite the nice cloudy night. As I get the Rifle round and onto the sticks, he sees/scents me and bolts off with no chance of a shot. 'Oh what a nuisance!' I mutter - or more earthy language to that effect :whistling:          I linger around for at least half an hour, and my luck is in! he re-appears at the bottom of the long sloping Sheep field, right amongst a gaggle of Lambs and their Mums. A careful shot off the sticks is rewarded with a solid thump, and he bowls over headfirst. I shoulder the Rifle, but through the Thermal just can't see the dead Fox. Spent the next twenty minutes searching to no avail, he was very close to the dense cover beyond the sheep fence, but I am always really annoyed to not confirm the kill and get a photo for the collection. Popping out shortly for a daylight search, but I fear he may be too deep in cover to discover.

    Hammo

    Edited by Hammo

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Hammo said:

    Hi All,

    Not posted here for what seems ages; work-weather and three weeks of Jury Service have have made an incredibly busy few weeks for me.I have been out, as Lambing and turning out the Lambs to pasture has, of course, been in full swing. Five more on my tally since last post near end of Feb.

    Had a call middle of last week, from a great chap who has passed my number on and created a few new perms for me. He had seen a fox in his paddocks three nights running about 11pm. Unfortunately he had lit him up with the lamp a couple of times, resulting in one very jittery fox! he kindly left out a bantam carcass far end of the paddock; but I drew blank on the first visit. Anyway, worked a bit of overtime last night 6pm to midnight; then kitted up and out on the prowl.

    IMG_1799.JPG.b17e38c91660d782e85d8bb94bd149b6.JPG 

    As soon as I pulled up in the lay-by, a quick scan with the Helion showed an unmistakeable luminous white shape hunkered down tight to the far hedge  

    I get the Rifle and Sticks out the back of my motor, and creep through the hedge - thankfully not creating a disturbance.. the fox is pre occupied with something under the hedge, and I am able to creep round for my favourite side on chest shot with the trusty .17 Hornet. On closer inspection I have dropped a very silvery looking dry vixen. She was eating her way through a Cock Pheasant, and not far from the pile of feathers from the Bantam left out a couple of nights previous. Perm owner will be pleased, and as always I am glad to have produced the goods on a callout job.

    Back across the lane to a neighbouring perm, and a field full of sheep ends up giving me a headache! every now and again a Lamb will break into a sprint and catch my eye through the thermal, but no reynard to be seen. I fall into the 'just five more minutes/one more scan' trap that we all know!! almost an hour passes. Suddenly off to my right a fox pops out unexpectedly from the heavy cover, and zigzags nose to the ground towards me 30 metres and closing - I am out of the shadows and feel exposed despite the nice cloudy night. As I get the Rifle round and onto the sticks, he sees/scents me and bolts off with no chance of a shot. 'Oh what a nuisance!' I mutter - or more earthy language to that effect           I linger around for at least half an hour, and my luck is in! he re-appears at the bottom of the long sloping Sheep field, right amongst a gaggle of Lambs and their Mums. A careful shot off the sticks is rewarded with a solid thump, and he bowls over headfirst. I shoulder the Rifle, but through the Thermal just can't see the dead Fox. Spent the next twenty minutes searching to no avail, he was very close to the dense cover beyond the sheep fence, but I am always really annoyed to not confirm the kill and get a photo for the collection. Popping out shortly for a daylight search, but I fear he may be too deep in cover to discover.

    Hammo

    good work sir keep at them. the phone rang this afternoon with foxes need sorting on new ground so hopefully more ground for me and owwee once he stops these holidays:no: not that we need much more to be fair:lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×