is it ever to late to sow your oats

islandgun

Thought this might interest someone, finally got round to seeding some oats, Im guessing that we will be lucky to get some seed heads befor the winter though, the plan was to provide a food source for over-wintering twite and cornbuntings, (and perhaps some mallard :) ) oh well at least it got the kids out on a lovely day

post-66520-0-73120000-1466275979_thumb.jpg

post-66520-0-38118100-1466276096_thumb.jpg

Edited by islandgun

Is that the beach you are sowing? What a fab landscape.

The technical name is Machair it is a thin layer of arable/grassland over sand, each croft in the township has an apportionment (about 3 acres) each portion stretches from the rocky shore on one side down to the estuary on the other, its common grazing outside of the growng season, in days gone by each crofter would harvest oats and potatoes and graze a milk cow, our croft also has 2 acres of of in-bye land (black soil) on which the croft house sits, and in which we grow willows, hens, ducks and veg

Living in the Midlands I have to say you can't possibly understand how lucky you are. That's a beautiful place to live

Cheers TT I've lived all over and I do appreciate our luck "daily" however you should see it in 130 + mph winds or in one of the occasional rain showers we get :lol:

Have u tried Mustard or Fodder reddish or any other catch crops?

There more a catch crop and designed to be sown late on. No idea how they'd cope with that sandy soil thou

Oats can be quite a slow sort of thing to grow

:good: I have sown some green manure crops but avoid importing any plants that might end up an invasive species, its a sssi for the wild flowers

Plenty space there for the new influx from the EU.

There are a few workers from the eastern europe working in fish and seafood processing and are so far well thought of

Edited by islandgun