Gun Auctions

Steveveets

If the auction is a small one where there are just one or two guns in amongst general sale stuff a real bargain can be had Because very few people come with a cert. But bear in mind that an extra charge of buyers premium and vat is generally added which can really bump up the total price.

I bought two 410's one moderated and one a side by side from Holt's for under £ 40 for the pair as a bundle , Look for for multiple item lots for anything good and trade or giveaway the unwanted one's section 2 only.

Edited by Andy H

I have bought a few guns from auctions, It is better to be there in person and to have examined the lots in advance as some people (incliuding dealers) offload their damaged, dented, non-functioning lemons at auction. Having said that I have bought some bargains and for project guns you can't beat an auction. Timed auctions on line are a little more difficult to judge as you are buying blind with only the auctioneers (and/or sellers descriptions/report) Check the commissions and also the location for collection (I got caught out with that one once, a tank of diesel on top of the price) and the time allowed from winning to collecting your new gun

Allways ask for a condition report plus plenty of images showing different angles. I f you cannot attend a auction do not forget that a shotgun must go through a RFD , but the biggest expense in the last few weeks is the haulage has most couriers will not now carry weapons ,those that do are very expensive collection, packing , labour , plus £60 for the courier then £1 per mile plus VAT average price £200 in England and double that too Scotland because two drivers are needed.

Feltwad

I only ever went to one as support of a mate looking to buy, being an observer of people and situations I soon saw subtle recognition between auctioneers table and the front row.

Not inferring any improper action but it soon became clear that the front row controlled the room, i assume the viewing day had been well spent?

It's certainly a place where the "buyer must be aware"

Nearly got ripped off once .got the seller to measure barrels etc .My top bid was £350 after my bid there were 2 more bids so l turned away and was walking off.the sellers assistant ran after me and said were you still interested.I really wanted that gun.I said go and find the 2 bidders after me and I left. Dipper

Beware also auctions that sell illegal guns.

Can't happen?

I purchased a BSA Super 10 air rifle, it was not listed as being FAC rated, it was missing the air bottle and magazine. However undoing 2 screws enables you to remove the action from the stock. The RFD we took it to to fit an air bottle did just that to find an "Export Only" sticker on the regulator, meaning FAC required. So they had sold a non FAC holder and FAC air rifle! Illegal gun for me to own. It would have taken them two minutes to check it by removing the stock.

Beware also auctions that sell illegal guns.

Can't happen?

I purchased a BSA Super 10 air rifle, it was not listed as being FAC rated, it was missing the air bottle and magazine. However undoing 2 screws enables you to remove the action from the stock. The RFD we took it to to fit an air bottle did just that to find an "Export Only" sticker on the regulator, meaning FAC required. So they had sold a non FAC holder and FAC air rifle! Illegal gun for me to own. It would have taken them two minutes to check it by removing the stock.

Did you return it to the auction house.

Nearly got ripped off once .got the seller to measure barrels etc .My top bid was £350 after my bid there were 2 more bids so l turned away and was walking off.the sellers assistant ran after me and said were you still interested.I really wanted that gun.I said go and find the 2 bidders after me and I left. Dipper

you were being chandeliered