Firearms on the way to the permission

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always travel with bullets bolt and rifle separate. Once arrived on any permission it doesn't take more than 2 mins to prepare yourself to be able to shoot your target.

Does anybody really need to be prepared before they leave the house.

They must think there on the front line or something as soon as the rifle comes out of the cabinet..

One must remember that when discussing legalities, to give the correct legal answer one can only quote what the law states. Although it never hurts to mention a proviso that best practice suggests something different.

It is also worth remembering that everyones circumstances are different and someone who has to drive several miles to their shooting ground will follow different best practice to someone, such as myself, who lives on their shoot needs to be read "to go" from the moment they pick up their rifle.

I'd hate to count the number of times I'd have missed the chance of a fox if I'd gone out without the mag in my pocket being charged and the bolt out of my rifle.

I always travel with bullets bolt and rifle separate. Once arrived on any permission it doesn't take more than 2 mins to prepare yourself to be able to shoot your target.

Does anybody really need to be prepared before they leave the house.

They must think there on the front line or something as soon as the rifle comes out of the cabinet..

Thats your personal circumstances so suits you.

Dont understand that myself,people that do that must think they are an assassin making ready all their gun parts to say out some important target.

Doesnt work for me so i stick to within the law,if i went a run round my permissions covering maybe 15 miles doing your thing i would miss out on a lot of quarry.

Would seem sensible to store your rifles and bolts separately but assemble them before leaving so you know you've got the right one...

You are not the first to say that in this thread, but still more care is required, pretty much ALL CZ/BRNO rimfire bolts fit ALL their rimfires, but will not necessarily work.

Likewise many other manufacturers bolts fit more than one of their rifles/calibres but may well not work!

So, if you have more than one of any manufactures rifles be careful!

:good:

The legalities are what matter. No-one on a forum (or elsewhere) can tell anyone else how they ought to be doing things. What it boils down to is "Good Reason" and common sense. Everything else is personal circumstance and preference. I see no need to remove a bolt from an unloaded rifle contained in a slip, but can see some merit in storing bolts separately whilst stored in the home. The simplest of risk assessments there shows that in the unlikely event of unauthorised access to your firearms, those without the means to cycle or fire a round are a safer proposition.

Whilst they are in your care, travelling too and from your permission or range, then an unloaded firearm poses no greater risk whether the bolt is in or not, or empty mag is in or not. There is a creeping tendency these days within some shooting circles to say "tut-tut" and look down one's nose at those carrying shotguns in slips in the boot rather than broken down in a case, or where rifles are carried in slips with the bolt fitted. It has become sort of socially unacceptable which is, frankly, ridiculous. The one exception to personal choice (within the law and whilst exercising common sense) is where range rules might stipulate that no firearm is allowed away from the firing point without the bolt removed. Here, clearly where many firearms and shooters are gathered, it's one visible way of assuring others that the firearm poses no risk.

In the back of your car or carried in a slip on your shoulder too or from a shoot, it is of no consequence. I have enough clobber to carry round when stalking to worry about where I've put a bolt. The mag is loaded when I reach my shooting ground and carried in a pocket until I deem it safe to load the firearm, usually when starting off on foot.

Edited by Savhmr

Twice now I've sat in the high seat with my .243 with my .223 bolt

I have two tikka t3s one 243 one 223 the bolts interchange. Now I know that the 223 bolt would not close on a 243 cartridge, but the 243 bolt would close on a 223. My question is would it fire and what if any damage would occur?

99% of the time it's set up once on the property. So there would be no issues there regarding the law.

But the whole point of this thread is wot u can legally do, not wot best pracice is or wot version of it everyone does.

U could set it up at home if u really wanted and still be perfectly legal, hell u can even fill the mag and put mag in rifle and still be legal for travelling to ur ground. Not saying that is advisable or best practice thou

Well said savhmr, there is a vast difference between best/safe practice and legally ok.

Hopefully we're (mostly) all sensible indivduals on here so just deceide wot suits u best and are happy with the safety and or security of rifle.

Wot i do now is have different coloured small/boot bags for my different calibres so bolt, ammo, mags are stored together in a different cabinet to rifle and depending wot rifle i pick up i pick right coloured bag and should have everything i need. As long as u put bols in correct bag all good and easier to look at a bullet shape/type rather than id similar looking bolts

But i do still usualy slip bolt in at home

Edited by scotslad

My opinion is that "if" I ever did get stopped by plod then it would save me from explaining, to someone less educated in firearms law, what you can and can't do.

I'm 100% with you Dougy. I too have to travel a fair distance at odd hours sometimes.

Playing advocate now, you guys who travel with bolt fitted unless as circumstances of CharlieT?

Wouldn't you be at a bit of a disadvantage if somehow (say in an RTA) your rifle complete was stolen when you were unconscious?

Could you successfully argue at the point of revocation that you had done your best in the circumstances to ensure the security of your firearm during travel by allowing a complete working rifle to go?

I know what I do and let others do as they see fit ( after obviously having assessed the risks) with no adverse opinion, just interested in the responses so no venom thank you?